Close up of the amplifier modules

Attachments

• lm4780 reg ps hs.jpg
    lm4780 reg ps hs.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 6,249
Last one...

Case was Par-Metal Series 20
PCB's were BrianGT's excelent LM3875 premium kits
All else was Steve's @ Apex.jr <-- Great stuff at good prices...

As you can see the buffer is not installed yet.. But there is room.. :D

Work still in progress... :smash:

Attachments

• dsc00435.jpg
    dsc00435.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 6,170
stk4048XI

Here is a closeup of the vero board design.
No oscillations. No problems at all.
135 watts at 100Hz 8 ohm
156 watts at 1khz 8ohm
205 watts at 100hz 4ohm
245 watts at 1khz 4 ohm
all at about +/- 57 volts
twin 300va toroidals
20,00mfd per channel
totally separate channels

Attachments

• stk_amp2.jpg
    stk_amp2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 5,157
OK here goes...

This is the Amp I built from Brian's 3886 kit... The toroid was picked up on ebay and has 25v secondaries. The case is scrap aluminium & teak from old school science benches . The hardware was from CPC. It was in construction for about a year and was then spurred on when I blew my daily amp.

I have run (and blown) a series of vintage transistor amps in the past including Armstrong 521, Leak Delta & early Sony amps. Of these the Leak sounded best but nothing like how good this amps sounds. It is simply amazing in comparison.

I'm now interested in building a tube pre-amp to go with it if anyone has any suggestions...

Thanks for looking...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
http://www.oxtonspeed.com/gallery2/v/album/Chipamp/

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0029.jpg
Check that mirror finish on top... 2 part - glatex 8, couple of layers.

PICT0032.jpg

Brute force construction.
This amp is a gift for mother in law... she will never see the inside

The heatsink sits over three holes that lines up with the holes in the top.
It uses Rod elliot P05a PSU and the second version of his hifi preamp with balance and volume control using opa2132.

it is a bit of a mess, I was just going to put the little veroboard IGCs in and a PSU and well, you see what happens... once I liked the sound enough, I left it as is, the wires is a mess as they have to be pushed to their right places as you push the box together the rear slides in like a drawer

PICT0036.jpg

Better pics of My_Ref_C

PICT0038.jpg

It is a pseodo-plywood... I got the outer layer as offcut strips from the DIY shop and sanded them smooth. the wood is very hard and polishes to a shine with 60 sandpaper- I went to 1200

Because of the limited material ( I literaly had a piece as big as my hand left when I was done), I made an unusual constructrion.

The box is made of 5 sides the 3 outher sides have thick marineply boards underneath, the top is 3mm ply with the "veneers" on top.

The rear slides in and has those beveled tops to keep it in position.

I was going to come back to the case to add some vents, but with those giant heatsinks it hardly goes above ambient for a very long time.

PICT0043.jpg

Earth decoupling network is with the transformer, as this is offboard...