Putting a super light phono amp inside the tonearm?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
This looks more like your own interest and enjoyment than the real thing...Are you God?

You appear to be missing both context and sense of humour. As you didn't take my earlier advice go look up some phantom power circuits and note the 47uF electrolytic caps in series with both + and - wires. Then look at the threads where people argue for years on the merits of super expensive boutique components. So yes this concept will offend the sensibilities of the film and foil dipped in beeswax crowd.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I would hope it would be simple disagreement.
I think i saw some of Your ideas in a topic two years ago.Could You indicate that topic?I think that i would really like to start studying digital filters with the aid of a real example.I never went to a university so mathematics is one of my weaknesses.Is there a possibility for me to understand how these filters work without mathematical knowledge?

This looks more like your own interest and enjoyment than the real thing...Are you God?

Seriously you can download Audacity and try their built in linear phase FIR RIAA or you use the built in Nyquist prompt (yes you have to type in 40 characters or so) and try an IIR RIAA. Make up your own mind, what the rant about "show me a product, etc." is about I don't have a clue.

It's all there to try for free, if you don't like it fine.

Is there a possibility for me to understand how these filters work without mathematical knowledge?

That's up to you. I tried to reduce it to high school algebra plus complex numbers, I can't see anymore simplification that helps.

I pre-computed all the classical equalizations for the popular sampling rates in a table that you can simply cut and paste into Audacity for those that just want to try it.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Thank you! I hope i will understand that during this century.If not , i'll be eternally punished to use my 100 square cm analog phono preamps ...
I can do it analogue with wires , that is clear, but what i was really after was that magic wireless cartridge that can do it all...Is there such a product existent or possible now?
I think that i've investigated a lot that "40db problem" in analogue domain and it is real just because of the dust on the records.If digital filters with adc can solve that, that is real progress.
I bought a sound card 2 years ago, the audient id22 and what i saw there was that it had +-12v supply for the analogue preamps and the instrument inputs would have soft clipping preamps to prevent adc input saturation as the manufacturer explained.That was a half priced product compared with the best RME.Is that problem solved differently in the most professional sound cards other than using compressors?Can it be overcome with digital aid?Clipping is clipping...Once it is digitized it shouldn't give the possibility to retrieve the full signal.Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
You appear to be missing both context and sense of humour. As you didn't take my earlier advice go look up some phantom power circuits and note the 47uF electrolytic caps in series with both + and - wires. Then look at the threads where people argue for years on the merits of super expensive boutique components. So yes this concept will offend the sensibilities of the film and foil dipped in beeswax crowd.
I think we're in the same team actually...but i don't want to challenge you further.I'm quite a skeptical person but, as someone said, the Ignorance is the base of evolution as too many information would make the life impractical.

Spend the €2.99 and read the article please. This is covered. 24/96 ADC are standard fare these days and you have plenty of DR. ChannelD has been selling well for years now with no complaints about dynamic range with a flat Phono amplifier CHANNEL D - Professional and Audiophile Quality Software for Vinyl, iTunes, and commercial applications.

There is a fear of loss of resolution, but this is not borne out in reality. Now if a personal preference is to have EQ in the analog domain I'm not going to argue with that :)

Its noise floor rather than resolution I think - yes you probably can do it with a good 24 bit ADC, but I think its more optimal to equalize the signal to a flatter response before digital, since that reduces the pressure on the digital side and frees up DR for extra headroom instead. 40dB is a lot to throw away. And because you can correct the detailed response digitally a much simpler EQ circuit is enough in the analog domain, no awkward cap values needed. After all you need the analog front end for low noise and to drive the ADC properly, giving it basic EQ as well isn't a big burden.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Its noise floor rather than resolution I think - yes you probably can do it with a good 24 bit ADC, but I think its more optimal to equalize the signal to a flatter response before digital, since that reduces the pressure on the digital side and frees up DR for extra headroom instead. 40dB is a lot to throw away. And because you can correct the detailed response digitally a much simpler EQ circuit is enough in the analog domain, no awkward cap values needed. After all you need the analog front end for low noise and to drive the ADC properly, giving it basic EQ as well isn't a big burden.

Dither is your friend. About 7 bits of it with the vinyl noise floor.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nice!

751458d1555965204-putting-super-light-phono-amp-inside-tonearm-calypso_phono_02-jpg

I saw this too, in a German journal. Looks very nice, but would worry about resonances in the pcb though. And probably best to put a high gain 1st stage at the tip.

Jan

Patrick: Take a look here Designing a universal diff-in/diff-out Head Amp this is sort of the main collection of wibblings on actual circuits.

Can you reduce any of those to have just one SOT23 device per channel close to the cartridge ?
I just laid out a PCB which measures 4x12mm, including loading resistors and caps for the cartridge, 2 channels.
It will fit into any tonearm tube, and have next to no weight with 0.5mm FR4.

The connection between main part and in-situ part is also in current mode.

Cheers,
Patrick

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I think one FET and one bipolar per channel was the lowest we got. As the coupling caps are waaay bigger than anything else do we need to worry.

For MC there is the rather nice version of the leach design that Richard Lee did. Only really works on low resistance coils but should convert to phantom power ok.

I should note that, for me, inside the arm tube is a total non starter.

Attachments

• MM-Head6.jpg
    MM-Head6.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 191
  • SPU6R.gif
    SPU6R.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 191
did you try this?

Hi!
I have found this idea of riaa pre in headshell mount many years ago on Czech site, probably early Pavel Macura,
unfortunately I cannot remember riaa elements values, but it is easy calculatable, the impedance between a base and collector could be easy set to get 47kOhm (or other demanded) loading.
I hope you will find it interesting, I can remember from the describing that the sound was absolutely incredible from such neat circuitry...

Attachments

• Obraz1.png
    Obraz1.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 186
Too many components at the headshell for my taste.

Let's say restrict to 1Q, 2R's, 1C, and 4 wires per channel (2 towards cartridge, 2 towards amp), just for the sake of the challenge.
These include loading resistors and capacitors for the cartridge.
Gain 10x, input 0.35mV at 1kHz, typical for MC.

People will complain 2SK209 is not low noise enough.
So in comes BF862, even though obsolete.
Not bad at -110dB H2, with the rest ~10x lower.

I think I might be tempted to build this, just to prove in reality.
The PCB in the tone arm / headshell will not weigh more than 5g.

Cheers,
Patrick

Attachments

• ISMCP V2 BF862 FFT.png
    ISMCP V2 BF862 FFT.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 204
  • ISMCP V2 BF862.asc
    3 KB · Views: 50
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.