Putting a super light phono amp inside the tonearm?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Patrick: What I posted from the other thread was 1C, 3R and 2Q per channel for MM. Is saving one SMT resistor and 1 sot23 really that vital other than fun value?

Also 5g!!! I have tonearms with that effective mass. Then again putting it in the base is almost as good.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I just modified one of my latest designs for i/v conversion for a mc cart input...I'm not an expert in mc carts...i just put a 0.1mv voltage source and a 10 ohm series resistor to sim the cart and an approximate 10x gain...I just used an available fet opamp in the library but that opa1692 might fit the bill.You get the fet bjt input and the transistor bjt input...You can do a lot of things with this arrangement I'm still studying it .Some of the components might be skipped , capacitors made smaller in value or removed.

Attachments

• fetmccart.png
    fetmccart.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 177
  • bjtmccart.png
    bjtmccart.png
    82 KB · Views: 173
  • usb-mccart.png
    usb-mccart.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 168
Account Closed
Joined 2010
These circuits seem to put DC current through the cart, not recommended. The first one also has both the gate and drain of the FET at ground potential?

It might put some dc in at startup , that is true...I only tried the bjt version on DAC output (there's a long topic about it ) , today i'm going to try the fet version (2sk117) on a pcm1701, but i think you can figure out a solution for that dc at startup.It's virtual ground after all.220uf/6v might be small enough with some manufacturers.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
try it for yourself...
It's true indeed that biasing the gate is improving the distortion figure by 10db, but i really am curious if the spice prediction is right cause i tried with three different fet trz and it works with all of them in simulation.Today i'm going to find the truth with my Denon DCD 1560 as Guinea pig .If it's not working , just use the positive rail and a second resistor...

Attachments

• currenttovoltageabc.asc
    3.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
OK, so in the first circuit all three terminals of the FET are at ground potential, how does it do anything? It will act like small resistor but I don't think that is what you want.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/336480-stage-town-4.html#post5770859
God damn! It's working really great without positive bias!
The noise level is ...next to NONE! That fet i/v section is getting me about 5v RMS from 1ma...

I'm absolutely positive about it used with an mc cart, but i'd probably go with the bjt version for mc cart because of the noise reasons.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
If you would have looked at my schematics in my other topic you'd see that i tried both, fixed bias and autobias , you can see the 5 v separate power supply on the schematic.I didn't wanted to use it mainly for i didn't wanted to deal with power supply induced noise.I lost 10 db thd out of 130db...so it doesn't really matter.
Funny thing is that i'm listening right now the circuit outputing 5v RMS with no audible noise at all and i really feel i.m listening to the best player i've ever come to listen too.
And i'm using opa2132 and not ad797 on pcm1701 because the 8k2 feedback resistor of the i/v stage and 1ma output dac doesn't recommend ad797. I still have 2 copies of your creation though and i'd probably use it with a more modern dac.
Please don't blame me for the fact that i designed something that nobody believe it works which is both elegant and performant!

Last edited:

Attachments

• phantom.png
    phantom.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 229
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.