Putting a super light phono amp inside the tonearm?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not the whole phono stage but.....

Attachments

• riaa.png
    riaa.png
    843.8 KB · Views: 325
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Wonder why with today technical possibility nobody built a A/D convertor inside cartridge. With all correction done digital. Can be small, light and noise free.

Has been tried. No market for it.

Series resistance in cables is almost always not a problem. Hence, the preamp in a tonearm is creating new problems in order to 'solve' something which is not a problem.

It isn't the problem is capacitance for MM. Now putting the preamp in the base of the cartridge solves the capacitance problem, or at least reduces it to a manageable amount. Many if not most turntables have more capacitance in their cabling than some cartridges call for in total.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I had a serious talk with a Sony engineer(from Oxford digital) about the possibility of doing something similar a few years ago and he said that the main problem would be the digital filtering delay which wouldn't be acceptable for such an application as he allready designed a digital phono preamp on a dedicated DSP made out of a Xilinx fpga by himself a decade ago...

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Well...who are those lots of people, it's my initial question?
I'd replicate such a system for my own use if open source or buy it just to have an evaluation.

Playing it in real time is not that simple.If you have an open lid high end turntable you'll be hearing the diamond tip at the same time with your speakers, just in the background but over the background noise.
Any recording sound card playing an instrument has some audible lag in real time although its using very high speed dsp's or digital engines.If you have a full adc-dsp-dac chain in your turntable and you're recording the material on hard disk, then playing it from your computer...that's no problem.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
If you cartridge is making that much noise you have a really big problem.

I run digital processing and swtiching to digital RIAA soon, Scott has written articles on it. KevinKR has full miniDSP active crossover and room correction off his two wonderful turntables. Those are a couple I have spoken to about this, but sure there are many many more.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I have a Shure v15Type III and two shure m75d different versions with new tip on all of them playing on Dual CS-701 and Dual 1219 with VFD speed regulator that i can hear even with the lightest loading to keep it on track...I had about 5 or 6 mm cartridges and i can hear all of them(ortophon, shure, phillips, onkyo...) although i can barely hear up to 13.8khz on a youtube test video. Try that moskido signal test...

I had a serious talk with a Sony engineer(from Oxford digital) about the possibility of doing something similar a few years ago and he said that the main problem would be the digital filtering delay which wouldn't be acceptable for such an application as he allready designed a digital phono preamp on a dedicated DSP made out of a Xilinx fpga by himself a decade ago...

That doesn't make any sense to me. If both channels have the same delay, you cannot even measure it without comparing to a second cartridge in the same groove!

Also RIAA eq is naturally an IIR filter, not FIR, so any delay would be minimal (a few sample periods). Trying to do an IIR filter using FIR is always asking for trouble.

What does make sense is to do the RIAA EQ in analog due to the large dynamic range needed, as in digital domain you lose many bits at the low-end and would have a hard time avoiding audible quantization artifacts after the EQ.

The analog filtering doesn't have to be accurate RIAA if you compensate for it in digital, you just want that low frequency boosted before quantization. Even a one-pole analog filter will do I reckon.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
That doesn't make any sense to me. If both channels have the same delay, you cannot even measure it without comparing to a second cartridge in the same groove!

What does make sense is to do the RIAA EQ in analog due to the large dynamic range needed, as in digital domain you lose many bits at the low-end and would have a hard time avoiding audible quantization artifacts after the EQ.
I didn't say anything about inter channel delay...
If you're doing the riaa analogue...then you get to the same problem that you needed to cover with a dsp(analogue component's weight).
I simply asked if there really is such a product anywhere, not just talks about it.

I've seen lots of talks about anything and no real product for many wonderful ideas.
A lot of mercantilism too...like magician's work...Look at it! Do you see it? It's not here anymore! If you wanna see it again you have to pay the ticket! Like with that so called DIY audio analyzer that has no schematic or open source in a few hundred pages...Instead of being advertised as a commercial project it's on the first page as DIY audio project for years.It's here folks...but not really here until you dig deep in your pockets.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.