Puresound P10 RIAA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sounds very promising, mids are glorious like all good tubes, needs more break in due to the BG & teflon caps to open more the hings & lower more the lows.

PSU nothing special/fancy at this moment it's a 240V Tx with quanghao Salas shunt reg + quanghao heaters.

Actually I have a little hum in the left channel I think is due to the fact the Tx is inside the Phono box only for testing is working OK.

I'm ordering a new Bartolucci special Tx 200V 100W to change the 150V 100W that my frient give me & I will use 26 tube preamp.:)

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Ricardo Itch it's different design, Puresound design it's nothing new under the sun, I don't know so I can't give an opinion without hearing the Itch, about vs Salas NJFET RIAA seems mids are clearly better in the Puresound but still is in break-in process.

About dynamics Puresound vs Simplistic NJFET RIAA are more or less the same, this clone upgraded Puresounde RIAA does not sound sweetly and softly as the triodes, it has very much character more than Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The Piccolo MC head amp pre-pre is 26dB + 40dB Puresound P10 are a total of 66 dBs, a lot of dBs for my Denon DL103R so I have a little hum in both channels: more in right channel than the left channel but I think it's due to the fact that I'm using a bad Tx: today my friend paid the new Tx Special laminated Bartolucci 200V 100VA so now Giuseppe is in the manufacturing process & more or less between 3 or 4 weeks I will get at home the new Tx.

About the sound it's difficult with this kind of hum, in the headphones sound good still needs open the highs & lows but mids are OK, I compared the Puresound vs Salas Simplistic with Wilson Audio CUB model & there is a lot of difference so the clear winner is the Simplistic, Puresound still needs some tweaks:

PSU
PSU with Nippon chemicon KMH 220uF 450V have to be upgraded with BG or MKP oil filled, also add snubber for rectifiers UF4007 = 47nF+100R before the rectifiers

Salas HV reg
Parallel both film caps with 0.1uF FT3 Russian teflon & 0.015 FT1 Russian teflon, Bourns trimmer for Vref must be changed for Vishay 1280G trimmer the other fixed Vref resistor changed for Mills, resistor to set the current also must be changed for Mills

Tubes
Nothing fancy 6N4 J (Chinese ECC83) + EH6922 (Electro Harmonix), so here can play with some tube that I have on hand RSD ECC83 & ECC88 Russiam military grade NOS, I just starting to play & seems there is too much room to improve....

About the RIAA nothing is changed waiting the new Bartolucci transformer to fix the hum.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
You know that every tube has it´s own internal resistance. The tube in the first stage internal resistance adds to the riaa filter main resistance so it is natural you hear different presentations.

In a circuit like this one, the sound and Riaa curve depends on the tubes age and internal specs.

Keep experimenting :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes... and in the end I guess you wished to have built an Itch instead :)

Just read this: In's and out's of Tube stages

Well the project started only to change better components to the original Puresounds P10 but due to the fact isn't possible to fit the big FT3 russian caps become the idea to do a full clone, if the project was mine surely I will go to the Itch but Chris prefered keep the Puresound P10 sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.