Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Test carefully using an oscilloscope (in DC coupled mode) so to watch the preamp's output settling. It will take it some integration time to follow an input offset once suddenly introduced. That may bring a bump. Even worse if its beyond what it can handle it will stick high up towards the rail. It takes responsibility to operate such a system if there is no capacitor coupling towards the amp. Else a power up sequence mistake with the source on last or some dac chip mode that does offset beyond what it can be corrected and bye bye speakers / headphones.

Test carefully using an oscilloscope (in DC coupled mode) so to watch the preamp's output settling. It will take it some integration time to follow an input offset once suddenly introduced. That may bring a bump. Even worse if its beyond what it can handle it will stick high up towards the rail. It takes responsibility to operate such a system if there is no capacitor coupling towards the amp. Else a power up sequence mistake with the source on last or some dac chip mode that does offset beyond what it can be corrected and bye bye speakers / headphones.
No oscolloscope availiable, unfortunately. I' m thinking to use coupling capacitors for start and do basic measurments with DMM. I' ll try to remove capacitors on a "guinea pig" system and when I get stable behaviour move to no capacitors setup. Amps are also tubed with differential input. I noticed improvement with regards to switch on/off bump handling in comparison with the previous SE version of the same amps. I hope this will help.

Hi Salas, i tested 10 of my pf5102 and none of them was above 6mA, all ranging from 4.7ma to 5.7ma. Can these still be used in the circuit with the mod?. I understand that you need 5mA to pass through the led bar?.
Quan

Hi... Have you seen the .pdf file i uploaded in post #303 ?

I can confirm, that after testing them in that setup, PSU is working as supposed.

Jesper.

I have a 4x K170Bl matched with 4x J74BL from good ol' days. Do they have any good place in this project or it's better to keep them stored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey.

I sourced mine NEC's cheap from ebay!
I wouldent bother trying out 2sk170, when the NEC parts are so easy to get.

But ofcause if you want to try if there is sonic difference, it's ofcause another story.

Jesper.

TESTrig complete

:) Good evening all!

First off... Sry. for my "school" English!

So finally, i had good time to really listen to this brave pre. made by Salas.

Story is, i decided long ago (or my wife actually did :p), that we needed a headamp. Thing is, she really likes listening really loud in her headphones.. but normally she uses her pc, which cannot play them very loud :eek:

My Pre. right now is a B1 buffer unity gain, and to be honest i also think i need a little gain for driving my F5's (right now taken apart through)... So Salas presented a new construction with buildin headamp. -I took the challange and designed my own pcbs (looking at Salas design). Everybody here was kind enough to chime in and help! thanks all for that.

Yesterday Friday, i had a day off, after we was at concert Thursday evening (more about that later) I soldered my second DCSTB, for trying dual psu.
-Also i have recieved my pidac, so everything was ready to hook up now.

Whoow... man, this thing really rocks... channel seperation is in particular good, but soundstage also rock's (by soundstage i mean the area behind and in front of speaker's)... Right now we are listning to a new, very good upcomming Danish band. (See link below)... It was also that band, we saw Thursday evening... really good live. -That voice of this young fellow, is as good live, as it is on recordings, not something you hear every year i think.

I wish you all a good Saturday evening!

Best Regards; Jesper.

Attached some pictures of my testrig, happy wife etc...

Scarlet Pleasure :

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi419yAzqPQAhWCUBoKHUJTDnIQFggaMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fscarletpleasure%2F&usg=AFQjCNHnZVcvJfV4VTWs4oqKVTLU_4yEpg&sig2=iAYEyXF7LoAB2wVfyD7jGA

Attachments

• Dual_DCSTB_testrig1.jpg
    Dual_DCSTB_testrig1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,600
  • Dual_DCSTB_testrig2.jpg
    Dual_DCSTB_testrig2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 683
  • In_Out_testrig1.jpg
    In_Out_testrig1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 686
  • Mom_at_testrig1.jpg
    Mom_at_testrig1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 708
  • ScarletPleasure.jpg
    ScarletPleasure.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 698
Nice that she and you like it Jesper, and nice pics too. What model of cans are those?

Only some old Philip's ones we bought on sale some years ago. They where very cheap around 12-12Eur or so :p

Actually i am thinking of buying some better ones for christmas, but it's a new world for me, so i had to do some research first. -Maybee pricerange around 75Eur maybee 100Eur... Not decided yet.

Jesper.