Salas DCG3 preamp (line & headphone)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
my PI Dac is ready for picking up
Is the Raspberrry Pi as good a player as Foobar on Win10? Some say no worries some say no way so I decided on a Cherry Trail Atom quad core cheap mini-PC box to stay on Foobar with Wasapi DSD that I know it plays well with my DAC at least. And to run the odd movie from the NAS on Kodi rather easily too.

Is the Raspberrry Pi as good a player as Foobar on Win10? Some say no worries some say no way so I decided on a Cherry Trail Atom quad core cheap mini-PC box to stay on Foobar with Wasapi DSD that I know it plays well with my DAC at least. And to run the odd movie from the NAS on Kodi rather easily too.

I would say, its as good as anything else. BUT!

I have been playing a lot in past with Linux and the piCore distribution, which i ran on my Raspberry(s). The advantage with piCore, is that everything is loaded in RAM, so nothing destroyed and soo, when unplugging power.
The piCorePlayer is based on this distribution, but i prefer to roll my own, only having the neccesisary drivers for my DAC loaded, and not having webserver, LMS server and a lot of other stuff loaded, like the allround piCorePlayer.. But piCorePlayer is a very solution for a start, if one does not know so much about Linux!

Jesper.

Layout on chassis

I am trying to squeeze the parts on to my bottomplate preamp chassis.

I have put some plastic cups, for showing how much the torrids will take space.
Will it be okay to place the potentiometer / input selector etc. right next to mosfets.
I can ofcause bolt a 3mm. alu' plate vertical to the alu' bar, for making some kind of shield.

Jesper.

Attachments

• unname2.jpg
    unname2.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 824
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am trying to squeeze the parts on to my bottomplate preamp chassis.

I have put some plastic cups, for showing how much the torrids will take space.
Will it be okay to place the potentiometer / input selector etc. right next to mosfets.
I can ofcause bolt a 3mm. alu' plate vertical to the alu' bar, for making some kind of shield.

Jesper.

No problem having the pot near the Mosfets if their temperature will not be scorching. Which it will not be with all that metal. Measure the temp on the Alu-bar.

While waiting, here's something I would like to ask;
Line stage for me actually means DAC output stage... I use a current output chip
with a single resistor for I/V conversion. Then the signal is fed directly to tube's grid
without coupling capasitor, pot and grid leak resistor. This means DC offset at the
preamp input. Currently, because of tube's high gain, the I/V resistor is 2 ohms
resulting at 11 mV DC. The resistor can be increaced up to 100 ohms to compensate
for lower preamp gain, but I wouldn't like to go over 56 ohms > 290mV. Should I treat
DCG3 the same way - remove pot, R1, R2, C1?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You can only remove the pot when using the DCG3 on max gain for some other purpose than a system control line preamp. Do not remove anything else because it will oscillate. It's servo mechanism also has the capacity to correct against some input signal DC offset as an aside.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So your chip pushes AC signal current through a 2 Ohm to ground and makes an AC voltage across it. That's a textbook voltage source of two Ohm impedance. There is no problem driving various line stage. You can use a coupling capacitor to block its inherent offset but if without it DCG3 can tolerate enough mV because its DC servo will react. Was it 600mV or less I can't remember exactly what was the limit before going nuts as I was pushing it with the bench generator's offset function when I was developing it. Anyway try and see if it can accommodate your source's offset.