Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

$1 versus $3 X the number of op-amps needed for the design, in a hobbyist build is, IMO, not a relevant consideration esp when the main focus on this website are "boutique" parts.

I concede that the cost difference is crucial in a manufacturing setting, where the final cost to consumer due to markup is a large multiple (9 times, often) of the cost of parts. However, this is not a manufacturing situation.

Front & back panels

OK through with the part selection. Much more important is there any type of back panel design out there for this.

Maybe these will help.

(& yes, you can just do a straight swap of NE5532 for LM)

OMEG 4k7 lin dual pot update (UK builders). CPC-Farnell now are saying delivery is now not until mid October.

Attachments

• Backpanel_May13.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Front&Back_july17.pdf
    53.6 KB · Views: 132
Hi Mr. Huff,

interesting power supply. Do you know how many ripple and noise is at the output with 300mA load?

I don't know but it's got to be low. The described power supply is an adaptation of a long proven series regulated design. Over the years it has become my 'go to' power supply for my analog audio projects.

I always have these PCBs on hand and would be glad to share should you be interested.

Attachments

• PWR_SUPPLY_00.jpg
    PWR_SUPPLY_00.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 434
I don't know but it's got to be low. The described power supply is an adaptation of a long proven series regulated design. Over the years it has become my 'go to' power supply for my analog audio projects.

I always have these PCBs on hand and would be glad to share should you be interested.

Nice board but not useable with my preamp kit with EU/UK 230v mains without some crude mods. Could you perhaps allow for connecting the primaries in series as well as parallel?

Also, the pin outs of the transformer don't correspond with any similar ones commonly available over here (eg Vigortronix). It should be possible to add additional holes to allow for this and increase the appeal to EU/UK buyers.

Have you considered the LT3015 / LT1965 low noise linear regs from Texas?They are 5pin TO220 and adjustable so here's the opportunity to update your design, allow for other transformers and 115/230v ac input!

Nice board but not useable with my preamp kit with EU/UK 230v mains without some crude mods. Could you perhaps allow for connecting the primaries in series as well as parallel?

Also, the pin outs of the transformer don't correspond with any similar ones commonly available over here (eg Vigortronix). It should be possible to add additional holes to allow for this and increase the appeal to EU/UK buyers.

Have you considered the LT3015 / LT1965 low noise linear regs from Texas?They are 5pin TO220 and adjustable so here's the opportunity to update your design, allow for other transformers and 115/230v ac input!

I had been told by others that this transformer (or it's pinout equivalent) was easily available in the EU/UK ... No???

If there is enough interest I can easily add the 114/230v jumper mod to the PCB.