Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

My kit arrived yesterday. Many thanks Carl! Your efforts on this project are not going unappreciated.

I will likely not get a chance to work on this project until the xmas break, but will be looking at this thread closely to see the early progress from others.

THANKS AGAIN!

PS. any USA folk got any great ideas for the enclosure?

Last edited:
Enclosure

My kit arrived yesterday. Many thanks Carl! Your efforts on this project are not going unappreciated.

I will likely not get a chance to work on this project until the xmas break, but will be looking at this thread closely to see the early progress from others.

THANKS AGAIN!

PS. any USA folk got any great ideas for the enclosure?

Or anyone?

Power Supply up & running. Awaiting rest of the parts. :)

Attachments

• PWR.jpg
    PWR.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 730
Carl
Q1 -BC560CTACT-ND for the power supply is out of stock at mouser and digikey. are there any other transistors that could be subbed?

BC 557, 558, 559 and 560 look to be the same PNP but sorted for voltage and gain. I would think any of them would work equally well in this circuit. Mouser shows that they have a bazillion of the BC559CTA parts in stock.

Enclosures in the UK

Received mine unexpectedly today! Its great quality too, thanks Carl.
George what are your latest thoughts on an enclosure? I am in the UK too .

Can't wait to hear this design :)

Hi,
The enclosure is the part that causes me the greatest trouble. Recently I have been gutting dead audio equipment and shoehorning my boards and PS into them. It has worked out well but it will not for the preamp because of the specific location of the pots and other pcb-mounted devices.
Anyway, I have collected a set of websites of companies that look like they could supply what I need. Apart from Ghentaudio, I have not dealt with any of them.. but they look more than capable. It will all come down to how much you want to spend. My list is:

Electrical & Electronic Enclosures, Cabinets & Racks, Outlet Strips and Electronic Transformers - Hammond Mfg.

Panel Print - Print and Punch

Sign Making - Artisan Model Makers

Aliexpress.com : Buy 1 U rack mount 482*44.5*250 mm (w*h*d) Extruded Aluminum Project Box with covers Aluminmum Enclosure Ham Radio from Reliable rack supplies suppliers on YGKT | Alibaba Group

aff_platform=aaf&sk=YfmMrZfMJ%3A&cpt=1449306522949&af=145523&afref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.symbaloo.com%2Fhome%2Fmix%2F13ePLQNgG6&cv=0&dp=0%3A%3A145523%3A%3A%3A%3A%3A%3A1449306522&cn=15647&&aff_trace_key=8ac3191c21af4715958c00231b4779fc-1449306522949-06043-YfmMrZfMJ

FRONT PANEL DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION IN SYNTHESIZER PROJECTS

https://enclosures4u.com/index.php?route=common/home

Laser cutting & engraving by CSP, Witney, Oxfordshire UK.

ghentaudio --- Do something for HiFi Fans

If you have any other recommendations then I hope you will publish them.

Best regards

George

The enclosure is the part that causes me the greatest trouble. Recently I have been gutting dead audio equipment and shoehorning my boards and PS into them. It has worked out well but it will not for the preamp because of the specific location of the pots and other pcb-mounted devices.
Anyway, I have collected a set of websites of companies that look like they

George
i like your recycling option. my only observation is there is nothing to stop us from wiring the pots instead of mounting direct to the board.