Drop in replacement for NE5532?

$15.00 NE5532 Stereo Preamplifier

Thought I'd give one of these boards a try and for $15, :eek: . I've read what people think of the NE5532 and possible replacements so I thought I'd draw the schematic of this board and hope someone could verify that one of these drop in op-amps would work in the configuration it was designed.
Thanks all.

Attachments

• Preamp MT HiFi 2.1.jpg
    Preamp MT HiFi 2.1.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 340
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If a 5532 works OK then any of the more common unity gain suspects should be OK as well. If you want to go exotic with the opamp then I would suggest checking it is all stable with a scope at all possible settings of the control.

And tbh a genuine 5532 should be more than adequate anyway.

Well, that page's NJM2114 datasheet link is broken; but I did find this one:
NJM2114D pdf, NJM2114D description, NJM2114D datasheets, NJM2114D view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::
If these specs are to be believed, the NJM2114 is faster, quieter, and has less distortion than the venerable 5532. WOW!!! And still has the +/- 22v supply max.
I wonder why they quit making them----??? Maybe they couldn't meet the specs. Profusion says they still have >700 in stock, in DIP-8 package. Sure would be nice if'n one of y'all with a fancy test gear setup could verify those specs!!

Thought I'd give one of these boards a try and for $15, :eek: . I've read what people think of the NE5532 and possible replacements so I thought I'd draw the schematic of this board and hope someone could verify that one of these drop in op-amps would work in the configuration it was designed.
Thanks all.

I purchased on of these kits and it's decent... Puts out a little more that 8 vrms when it justs starts to clip on my O-Scope... Not bad for $15.

Over the past years we made some good experiences with the OP1678/79 as a relatively cheap workhorse. I am not a 100% sure anymore but I think that TI once praised this OP as a next generation 5532.

Also used an LM4562 after I started with a NJM4556 in a current controlled Headphone Amplifier. While the NJM4556 sounded pretty dull the LM4562 was very precise with a brutal bass that really surprised me. But at high levels I could also hear some oscillations.

On my E-MU 1616m I replaced the NJM2068 that regulates the output stage of the heaphone amplifier with an LME49720 that was lying around. While with the NJM2068 I always had the feeling that I had to crank up the volume knob it sounded like the headphone amp had much more power with the LME49720.
But with higher levels, my headphone started to sound distorted.
Today I replaced the LME49720 with a AD8599 and I really like it!
There was much less distortian at higher levels.

Is there probably someone with experience in using the NJM8068?
There are surely better opamps but for less than 50 cents for one piece at Digikey it seems like a real bang for the buck!

It seems you are just carelessly "rolling OpAmps" without much regards to the circuits they are used in. However your first sentence makes it seem like you do this professionally? But then again you "hear" distortions and oscillations but apparently didn't bother trying to verify or quantify them which somehow contradicts the previous assumption. I am left a bit confused after reading your post...

NJM8068 looks like an OpAmp for very cost sensitive applications with reasonably low source impedances. Not very interesting for DIY in my opinion, but for audio manufacturers it's a different story.

It seems you are just carelessly "rolling OpAmps" without much regards to the circuits they are used in. However your first sentence makes it seem like you do this professionally? But then again you "hear" distortions and oscillations but apparently didn't bother trying to verify or quantify them which somehow contradicts the previous assumption. I am left a bit confused after reading your post...

NJM8068 looks like an OpAmp for very cost sensitive applications with reasonably low source impedances. Not very interesting for DIY in my opinion, but for audio manufacturers it's a different story.

For us amateurs its a fun project to swap opamps in various audio equipment to hear the results. Its hit or miss. Since I discovered the OPA16xx family of opamps I don't need to swap anymore. I lucked out and got a bunch of free samples when they were still giving them away years ago. Although its good to have a scope to see what you're hearing

If your equipment is cheap enough go for it Paul ;) I don't want to hook up my precious headphones to a potentially oscillating headphone amp if it can be avoided. Many popular headphones cost much more than a basic 50-100MHz USB scope with built in signal generator. Ever since I unintentionally built some oscillating circuits, I can't even enjoy listening tests unless I am fairly confident that everything is stable. That confidence either comes from the fact that the configuration is fairly standard and not prone to oscillation, or from actually testing.