Drop in replacement for NE5532?

I got some of the following a few weeks ago. I asked for NJR but they gave me these devices!

TI NE5534P
KA 5532
JRC 2068D

Anyone used these ? Are NJM hard to get ? Here they used to be less expensive than TI etc. Prices across the counter are lower than Mouser etc.

I too can give you lower prices than Mouser if I don't put the chips you ask for in the package!

Interesting that they send you some 2068's in that bunch. They are low noise, but their output drive isn't as good as the 5532. Was this a regular store, or something along the lines of an Ebay "store"?

Not to be nosy, but how many 5532's did you order? It looks like they simply couldn't fill your order. Are you going to keep the JRC2068D or return them?

-Chris

This was from a local store. I did ask for the 2068 . Wanted to try it out. Some people like them. Wonder what it sounds like ! I ordered 15 pieces each. They sell in bulk usually . You want some ?
What is KA 5532 ? As good as the NE5532 ?

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Looking up KA5532 (and KA4558 etc) turns up Fairchild data sheets that seem absolutely identical to the NE5532 data sheets apart from saying KA instead of NE.

I used to see KA prefixed parts such as KA324 opamp packages used a lot in commercial stuff of the 90's and actually always though KA was Kyocera brand, in fact the Kyocera logo looked familiar as soon as I saw it.

So... I would think they are just exactly the same as NE5532's

Thanks Mooly for checking that. I was concerned that it might just be a poor version of the 5532 from some Chinese fab. I did Google it and found the Fairchild pdf also. Was quite surprised !
I have older stock of NE5532 chips. Will check them out later for sound. But as you pointed out they are identical so they should sound the same.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi ashok,
No thanks, I have plenty NJM2068 on hand. The "DD" are low noise variants, just screened for low noise.

They are okay. Just don't load them down with the feedback network if you go low impedance.
That should be NJM. NJM 5534DD is the one with lower noise I think. Mouser has it.
Yes, but not knowing if yours were marked differently I just used the number as you had written it.

-Chris

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just asked because I have a couple. Will have to try them for discovering any details I suppose.

BTW I have seen such used along JRC types without any local decoupling caps in Nad 6300 & 6100 cassette decks. Like the JRC 4558s & 2043s were used in Nakamichis and in many others. Big single layer boards, no ground planes, many such op-amps no decoupling. And they somehow managed to stay stable.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Just asked because I have a couple. Will have to try them for discovering any details I suppose.

BTW I have seen such used along JRC types without any local decoupling caps in Nad 6300 & 6100 cassette decks. Like the JRC 4558s & 2043s were used in Nakamichis and in many others. Big single layer boards, no ground planes, many such op-amps no decoupling. And they somehow managed to stay stable.

What do you mean by no decoupling in Nakamichi?They have the best supply line you'll ever see in any audio equipment. Anyway...Thanks for the courage to get into believing in what an wonderful op amp is the old lm833(ON semiconducor) as i/v convertors and filters.And njm2043 doesn't need any decoupling at all by default.It's the most solid op-amp i met for audio apart from njm2114 in the old generations of op-amps and if you have those you can hardly need anything except high impedance source is needed.Unfortunately they don't make the njm2041 anymore...ut was kind of best of both worlds...found in many fostex gear.Njm2068 is clearly very good for tape machines but opa2228 and m5220 are better.

Looking up KA5532 (and KA4558 etc) turns up Fairchild data sheets that seem absolutely identical to the NE5532 data sheets apart from saying KA instead of NE.

I used to see KA prefixed parts such as KA324 opamp packages used a lot in commercial stuff of the 90's and actually always though KA was Kyocera brand, in fact the Kyocera logo looked familiar as soon as I saw it.

So... I would think they are just exactly the same as NE5532's

Hey Mooly..... Was working for the import agency for Samsung in Denmark back when they made these all in one plastic music racks and the 14 & 20 inch ctv were their big hits. I remember all their IC´s like 5532 and 324 with the Samsung brand on them were KA´s :)

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I wonder why NJR doesn't provide this info on many of their other ICs.
At least for audio...they are the most honest-cheap electronics manufacturer apart from mitsubishi .They made the lowest noise op amps ever made below 20 dollar price tag, the most powerful one in a min 400 ohms load and also the most stable with highly unbalanced rails or up to 0.25 v dc offset output in just one chip and they didn't even mentioned that in their datasheet...

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hey Mooly..... Was working for the import agency for Samsung in Denmark back when they made these all in one plastic music racks and the 14 & 20 inch ctv were their big hits. I remember all their IC´s like 5532 and 324 with the Samsung brand on them were KA´s :)

Interesting, thanks. I certainly remember seeing KA marked parts in just those kind of things such as TV/Audio and VCR's.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What do you mean by no decoupling in Nakamichi?They have the best supply line you'll ever see in any audio equipment.

I explained "without any local decoupling caps" in the start of the post meaning no small value decoupling caps very close to the op-amps V+ V- rail pins. The DIP-8 JRC chips can be seen without such local caps in a Nakamichi DR-2 I have here on my bench for example. Its a late model in decks history, it was late enough to even have Nichicon Muse BP couplers (green ones). Very low THD signal electrolytics those.

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_181056.jpg
    IMG_20190807_181056.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_20190806_232448.jpg
    IMG_20190806_232448.jpg
    667 KB · Views: 407
Account Closed
Joined 2010
I explained "without any local decoupling caps" in the start of the post meaning no small value decoupling caps very close to the op-amps V+ V- rail pins. The DIP-8 JRC chips can be seen without such local caps in a Nakamichi DR-2 I have here on my bench for example. Its a late model in decks history, it was late enough to even have Nichicon Muse BP couplers (green ones). Very low THD signal electrolytics those.

DR2 playback input is discrete...
I had 2 x Nakamichi CR4 with the same discrete playback input ...i think i know all the Nakamichi schematics ...DR2 wasn't their reference model anyway, but you can hardly see anything wrong at Nakamichi.ANT suggested some ground mods for the CR4...yet never felt i would need such mods .

They have very well filtered power lines right from the start.Very high speed power regulators followed by op-amp based regulators near the input op-amps or very well thought capacitance multipliers.Just look at BX300 input stage ...It's a piece of art! Its injecting the noise into the op-amp input taken from the capacitance multiplier output
I built some tapeheads preamps last summer and winter and decoupling near the playback op-amp is a big problem.The only decoupling used in the industry is just one capacitor(either low esr, either no polarized between +- rails).That's all.You don't need any noisy ground around a tapehead preamp.They sometimes use a decoupling 1n...10nf cap between the input shielding ground and the ground but far from the op-amp.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
DR2 has discrete PB input indeed. The small PCB seen mounted at the back of the Sankyo mech in my picture. 2SK369GR & 2SA970BL/2SC2240BL used there. The JRC chips are in the line input, REC EQ, and REC amps. Also used as buffers & meter amps, when the HP amps are M5216 halves.

I have seen some low enough but still very obvious harmonic noise spikes in the FFT of this DR2 sample so ANT maybe has a point suggesting to move the chassis ref contact to the input side in this line of related Nak decks.

I built some tapeheads preamps last summer and winter and decoupling near the playback op-amp is a big problem.The only decoupling used in the industry is just one capacitor(either low esr, either no polarized between +- rails).That's all.You don't need any noisy ground around a tapehead preamp.They sometimes use a decoupling 1n...10nf cap between the input shielding ground and the ground but far from the op-amp.
Seems realistic. That's what you get with shared signal and power ground returns. Two ways of addressing this issue:

a) Use dedicated, separate signal and power ground returns (Proper Star Grounding[tm]), thus keeping bypass capacitor current away from signal ground entirely. Designers in the 1980s would shy away from this as they had enough complexity to deal with on their single-layer boards as-is. It's much less of an issue if you can afford dual layer boards (or *gasp* a dedicated ground plane) or some flying leads. People have had good luck bringing noise down in vintage equipment by "reinforcing" grounds with external wires, thus bringing down shared return resistance... clearly a sign of injected noise.
b) Insert some series resistance in the power rails, preferably for each chip individually. Maybe 100-220 ohms or even more, depending on what you can afford. The bypass capacitor nets you a voltage divider between power supply source impedance and shared ground return resistance at high frequencies, potentially allowing a substantial amount of HF noise to drop over shared ground return resistance if power supply source impedance is low, and it can be as low as a fraction of an ohm after all. That extra resistance could easily make 40+ dB of difference.

Both approaches could also be combined, of course.