Zv9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
moe29 said:

Looks a little to busy for me to do it point to point...

Here's my take on a point to point solution, although it's not the desired star-ground solution.

And if smaller bypass caps are used, like 10uF polyester-film types, they can fit between the electrolytic ones, making it easier to use component's leads for wiring.

Attachments

• pj amp_small.jpg
    pj amp_small.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,384
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Cascode modulation ?

Can someone explain or provide pointers on how one determines the optimum modulation of the cascode tension?

Best regards.
Philippe.

PS. Thank you Nelson, the whole ZEN serie is really something in the DIY audio with this wonderful feeling it is also about “understand it by your self”.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Nelson Pass said:

You can measure (or listen) to various values.

Hi Nelson, thank you for your reply.

If you allow 2 more questions on this subject …
So this is a purely experimental process; no theory and no calculation?
Will a spice simulation help or are we below the validity threshold of the models?

Regards.
Philippe.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
plepez said:
So this is a purely experimental process; no theory and no calculation?

Will a spice simulation help or are we below the validity threshold of the models?

The theory is straightforward enough - you can cancel
complementary Vds and Ids nonlinearities under the right
conditions.

You can calculate simulate this, but if you want to be certain
about the results you will test real parts.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Dear Nelson, thank you for you reply.
Ok, I have the feeling that looking at the curves published in Zen V8, I might begin to understand what it is about. I will try to simulate to grasp a better understanding but I will take your words about the real thing.

Best regards.
Philippe.

Russ White said:

Hi Steen,

Indeed, I am very excited about the project/PCB. I am working up the schematic right now and will be drawing the PCB soon. I am still doing some reading to be sure I understand what I am doing as much as possible, but I think it will be a very fun project.

I will be looking for input from everybody, and I hope I can get as much great help with this one as I did with Twisted XBOSOZ.

Cheers!
Russ

I not being a kill-joy here but can we please ask Mr. Pass to offer the PCB first...who wouldn't like something straight from the Master?

Re: ZV7-T applications to ZV9?

carpenter said:
I'm facinated with the inductor version of ZV7. I'm wondering if it can be implimented with ZV8 or ZV9. Those 1000V/A plitrons of mine would make nice inductors...

Any thoughts, huh? Anyone?

John (the crazy carpenter):cubehead:

Power Toroids dont make nice inductors, they need to be gapped to avoid saturation with DC running through it.:)

Re: Hi Apassgear

carpenter said:
Have you constructed Nelson's ZVT-7? Nelson indicated that it performed rather well with a toroidal, and he didn't say a word about regapping anything... I'm going to reread the article again, perhaps I missed something.

John

You are right if these are magneticaly coupled as Nelson did for the ZV7. DC will cancel the effect of saturation over that circuit.

But they wont work for ZV8/9

I believe gaping is used in that way in other applications. Mostly to use a smaller inductor/core like in a SMPs xfmr where linearity is not to much of an issue. But, I also must suggest, you would have to be over 1000VA give or take to saturate those things ... Hmmm, 100V and 5A or 10A/ch??? Actually it is only the I component that causes saturation. So how many amps bias would you like to run:D :D :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.