zen lightenment!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Now that you have the blessing of MR. PASS I'm sure this will become a classic. I think the bulb issue scares people off a little. The Halo stick info helps, those are common around here.
A big favor would be to mention the total wattage rating needed at 240, 120 volts, to help people find bulbs that work, and how many they need to parallel. It appears that you need about 1000 watts total per side of the circuit? (2000 for a monoblock channel) Does this mean 120volt rated bulbs would require about 500 watts rated per side of circuit i.e. 1000 watts rated per channel? We can buy 500 watt 120 volt halogen sticks here in the U.S. easily which would mean only 2 per channel

Also VA ratings for the power supply, resistor wattages-
yup some of us are prettty darned ignorant.

Planet 10 Help!!!! Can you draw this circuit up for the authors approval? I guess you have spoiled us with your clear schematics you have done for other circuits.....

A big favor would be to mention the total wattage rating needed at 240, 120, 24, 12 volts, to help people find bulbs that work, and how many they need to parallel.

ok, my 1kW halo says 225V and gives 1,6A at 48V power supply voltage. The amp works with 300W 230V halostick also, but the right region of bias is at 3 or for * 300W in parallel. Also we could ask cyclotronguy as i think he tested differen kinds of bulbs.

Re: Hey Nobody......

carpenter said:
Are you in a position to clean up the schematic you posted? I would find it much more interesting if I could see it clearly. Being's that I'm a carpenter, not an E.E., I need all the help I can get with electronics, i.e. a clean schematic for a start. If you are able, a description of how the circuit operates would be fantastic. A show of options and their associated benefits would be most useful.

Many thanks,

John Inlow

Consider it done... look for it later today!
Thanks for the interest

A big favor would be to mention the total wattage rating needed at 240, 120 volts, to help people find bulbs that work, and how many they need to parallel. It appears that you need about 1000 watts total per side of the circuit
One thing that is nice about the circuit is that by varying the upper rail, it will adjust the amount of current. If you were to use a variac on the + supply rail, you could vary your idle current.
I don't know what else to tell you, except to look at the original zenlight article... there is a graph there with current/voltage for various wattage of bulbs.
Steve

This thread is losing altitude......

.....but at least it's not dropping like a rock!

I located an exquisite piece of maple with a wild, almost three dimensional grain pattern. It should wrap around the outer rim of my monoblocks quite nicely. I also assembled my pair of heatsinks. The have black anodized fins that are 6" x 6" and stack out at 12" with 1/2" spaces in between. They will bolt to the back of my chassis. My amps' appearance will resemble the old single ended exposed tube/ transformer 2A3 amps. You can see how I created my heatsinks here:

diy heatsinks

This is so much fun :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Re: Locate a specialty lumber yard.....

I appreciate the offer. I'm sure I can locate someone locally and save us both some trouble. I didn't know there was such a thing as a "specialty" lumber yard. I will have to look around.
Any advice on where to look for general woodworking tips? I have some tools (compound miter, table saw, various hand tools) but I suck at using them! I wish I could get a good 45 on wood for speaker cabinets.
Steve

a good 45.......

Create an off-bearing table on the back of your table saw, if you own one, to catch the material. Cut at 45-1/2 degrees. This allows the tips of the cuts to touch and not be impeaded by the rest of the cut. Do not rock the material up or down or the cut will wander. :( Perhaps you can make your first cut a quarter of and inch too wide in order to get the feel for the job. Then tighten up the fence and hit it again.

Most of all: Pratice! :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Have fun.

more zen lightenment!

from my trip to 110 Volt country:

Attachments

• image0079.jpg
    image0079.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 526
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.