zen lightenment!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Nelson Pass,

I had the suspect that something was wrong , your explanation is clear, and any doubt regarding the subject is gone.
:)

Anyway I like too much this amp, I will go first disconnect the bjt and then try with a smaller P mosfet like the zvp 's since the 9610 doesn't satisfy me completely.

:cool:

how about zenlight X?

This could be cool...
You would only need about 130 watts of heatsinking to get 25-30 watts into 8 ohms. Of course, you would need 6 250 watt bulbs, which will have about 60 watts each on them! :devily:

sorry about the poor image quality

Attachments

• zenlight x- ns.jpg
    zenlight x- ns.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 525
Haven't constructed it, but it simulates well... seems stable (maybe even more than the aleph X) I think it would work. It require hefty supplies, that is for sure!
I was using IRFI540G parts for the simulation (they were what was in my library) but I don't see why IRFP240's or any of the other popular transistors wouldn't work.

Actually, looking at it again, it will do about 35 watts into 8 or 6 ohms, current limited. It really does need more bias current. If you raise the + rail to 60V, it will do about 60 watts into 4 ohms, but the dissipation on the transistors goes up to about 200 watts- about 32 watts each. The bulbs double their dissipation too.

Tubes as resistors

Thanks to a good collection of unusable tubes, I have been letting filaments act as resistors.
!: five 12by7 in parallel- low V of 11.5, and a current of 1.5 amp. adding a modest resistor, 6.2 ohms, I have like 17 volts drop, at 1.5 amp.
2: 2x--5u4 rectifier, 10V drop @ 2 amps. Add a resistor (Dale 50 w encapsulated), and some modest heatsink, a two amp supply. Nothing gets very Hot, but the watts ARE pouring out.

hey, there is interest! Only, i can´t build an amp every week like peter daniel! heatsinks are expensive, power supplys too. And for more lite amps i have to source some of these high watt low voltage bulbs (110V) and, harder the ceramic stand sockets from the zen lite article. And worse: every amp needs time to build it.

till said:
hey, there is interest! Only, i can´t build an amp every week like peter daniel! heatsinks are expensive, power supplys too. And for more lite amps i have to source some of these high watt low voltage bulbs (110V) and, harder the ceramic stand sockets from the zen lite article. And worse: every amp needs time to build it.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking internationally.

The reason I do so much simulation and so little building is that I have so little budget, so I do understand what you are saying. I had no idea that the bulbs and sockets were hard for you to find over there... they are everywhere around here!
I just thought this idea was pretty neat... combining su-sy with the bulb bias lends simplicity and helps with the heat sink issue, while still having a lot of potential for high-quality sound.
I don't think I was wrong in saying there is no interest, when there have been all of 2 or 3 replies to my post (not crying about it. I was just surprised).
Anyway...
Maybe in the not-so-distant future I will put one of these together. I have narrowed my plans to building a tri-amped 3 way. The Aleph-X I am currently building will be driving the mids, a gainclone (or something Nelson has up his sleeve that is push-pull?) will be driving the lows, and maybe an X-lite for the tweeters? It's a possibility.
Steve

There indeed seems to be less interest in lite amps than i would expect. Maybe people don´t trust in the quality of the simple design. I plan to biamp my horns with eventually and aleph x (PCB laying around, big parts like heatsinks to expensive to start building), else my Zen V4 + a lite amp for the TD2001 horns.

What we need is the active crossover for this, Nelson, i hope you read this....

Lightbulbs are no problem for 240V and between 40 and 150W here. 300-1000W are on the market but much more expensive. Sockets in every form, but no stand socket.

i don´t know any difference between lightbulb and classical lightbulb? I only need bulbs with low enough resistance. So 240V 150W is not good as i would need 6 in parallel or so. And stand mounting sockets as normal E33 sockets are not really good for mounting on an amplifier enclosure.

till said:
i don´t know any difference between lightbulb and classical lightbulb? I only need bulbs with low enough resistance. So 240V 150W is not good as i would need 6 in parallel or so.

I build the amplifier fiew days ago . The quality is all there.
I use 2 Philips brilliant halogen 500w (240volt).

The length of the bulbs is 117.6mm.It is possible solder the wires directly at bulbs extremities and build yourself a bulb socket.

I made myself a bulb socket prototype with a 4mm metal wire.

I buy 4 light bulbs at the supermarket for less than 20 euros.

of corse i built my first test amp of zen light also with those halosticks. But the sockest are really not what i like on an amp eclosure, i want real bulbs.

As you may have seen i build a zen lite with 1000W 240V Photo - lamp halos. It seems to be important to use these with very high voltage, else the glas gets black after some hours because the halogen effect doesn´t work.

Hey Nobody......

Are you in a position to clean up the schematic you posted? I would find it much more interesting if I could see it clearly. Being's that I'm a carpenter, not an E.E., I need all the help I can get with electronics, i.e. a clean schematic for a start. If you are able, a description of how the circuit operates would be fantastic. A show of options and their associated benefits would be most useful.

Many thanks,

John Inlow

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.