Your opinions are sought on Audio Power Amplifier Design: 6th Edition. Douglas Self

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody built something like that Bryston? How hard is it to get the bias control stable?

I have built this configuration a number of times in different designs (VFAs and CFAs). No problem with quiescent current. It is slightly different for PNP and NPN devices (within 5%), but no problem with stability.
No beta matching. Tested and measured up to 1 MHz.
Coil at the output is 1 uH, not 1 mH - it's a typo at my diagram.

Cheers,
Valery

Attachments

• Bryston-type-OPS-vz.JPG
    Bryston-type-OPS-vz.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello Jan.

I'm having trouble understanding your graph. Maybe I'm being dim, but it seems to show the device currents shooting up at the voltage zero-crossing, rather than dropping to zero.

It shows the device currents approaching cut-off, as in class B, but not quite, there remains a small current so they are not completely cut off. So it is the take-over from one device to another, in the next quadrant, that is shown.
It is zoomed to the crossover/takeover point, in reality the shown output sine wave would be way off the scales.

jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Temperature stability and possible local oscillations. To me, well engineered 2EF with multiple pairs is better solution.

Yes you may have local oscillations, as in any tight feedback loop. But otoh it is an extremely linear structure, keep it in class A and you have one hell of a driver stage.

Edit: you need to keep it in class A because there is no base charge suck-out provision to turn the final transistor off fast.

Jan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.