Why does it work? Crossover with RF ferrite (wires) and 10nF polystyrene (bypass)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We seem to be trying, in good faith, so find "some"| sensible explanation to what maty claims to hear ... so far nobody succeeded and to boot, much contrary proof was flound.
Oh well.

EDIT:
bentoronto said:
Years ago, I did a social-survey study of the 400 Highway System neighboring homes (similar to US Interstates) as the government considered different kinds of noise barriers. Funny thing,* we found only one kind of noise barrier that consistently reduced the highway racket: the one you built yourself.
Agree :)
Confirmation/pride bias if I ever saw it. :)

Last edited:
Actually, maty tinman should talk with the folks in the planar forum where certain persons are deliriously happy about fixing their speaker sound using power supply snubbers to control super-sonic radiations inimical to their sonic enjoyment. (OK, maybe "deliriously happy" isn't exactly the right term.)
B.

The forum is contaminated by the same phenomenon that dirties the open Internet: personal disqualification as a substitute for argumentation.

Just now,

Questions For Interview With Bruno Putzeys & Lars Risbo About Purifi Audio - Page 9 - General Forum - Audiophile Style

All ceramic capacitors have inherent distortion which exceeds all others. Polyester capacitors have significant distortion. Polypropylene and polystyrene capacitors have the lowest distortion.
I wrote some comments about polystyrene caps in a Spanish audio forum, closed some years ago.

There I mentioned the purchase and I could not resist at such a low price and try before that to buy the Jantzen.

630 Volt Polystyrene Audiophile Capacitors - on sale

I bought from: LOT 3 Condensateurs Styroflex - NEUFS 10nF - 600V - 0.010uF - 10000pF - 10% | eBay

After doing a search in the FTP where I keep the images since 1998, I found the package I received from France.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
This isn't because they can hear ultra-sonics, is it?
Funny thing, the power supply snubbers and the ferrite choke are pretty much different suppressors of the same real of imagined impingement:

1. both address super-sonic radiation which has been let loose in the system and cause distortion

and/or

2. both address super-sonic issues that most people (and most manufacturers) think are bogus or inaudible.

I'm pretty sure both snubbers and ferrite bead suppression "fix" problems that are bogus, trivial, or inaudible. But then I think factors like edge diffraction, point source, or phase are trivial or inaudible.

B.

I can not edit the first post. The free service I used to host images via FTP has closed after 22 years of using it.

I upload again the old image here with the Würth 150kHz 8mm ferrite and NOS polystyrene bypass cap.

attachment.php

Attachments

• KEF-Q100-crossover-styroflex-bypass.jpg
    KEF-Q100-crossover-styroflex-bypass.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 992
Just for giggles, I read through much of the preceding thread.

Resurrection of this does seem to be somewhat futile - I assume you will take the advice on confirmation bias as read and ignored. Pity, as they are surely correct.

That said, that crossover looks simple and indeed cheap to the point of begging for a proper redesign.

Have you thought about turfing the "bling" in the trash can, and doing a proper XO design job on it?

Zvu redesigned the filter to flatten the response on-axis. After thinking about it I decided to keep the current one since the spinorama at 30-40-50º is fantastic, so with two soft touches of equalization it is enough.

index.php

Original

index.php

Proposed by Zvu

index.php

Minimum Phase vs Linear Phase | Page 7 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Minimum Phase vs Linear Phase | Page 16 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

In addition, its redesign also implies a second order with the woofer, so that the ferrite would surely affect the sound in another way, if so. I have more bass and better, drier, thanks to it.

In the end I am also supposed to change the cheap M.D.L. yellow cap by Jantzen Superior Z-cap. And then rebuild the filter by connecting everything point to point, changing the internal wiring (star quad, Canare 4S11) and new binding posts with low mass from ETI.

attachment.php

Step by step, so I check if the modifications improve the sound. The current sound is fantastic!

Attachments

• AudioHobby-Jantzen-Superior-Z-Cap-ETI-Research-BO-20C.png
    AudioHobby-Jantzen-Superior-Z-Cap-ETI-Research-BO-20C.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Well, it's your pair of speakers. If you believe you hear an improvement, go ahead with it.
The other, more scientifically minded ones, including myself, surely will scratch or shake their heads on this expectation biased thang that won't become more reasonable by repeating it again and again and again - here and in another thread.:cool:
Best regards!

I commented to add the old image.

The improvement is so obvious that it cannot be denied even though it lacks or lacks a logical explanation at this time.

The modifications and subsequent tests have always been accompanied by the same person to try to make sure. ALWAYS first only a box to compare with the other. Except for the previous bypass with the NOS styroflex, the rest of the improvements - including the addition of mass and damping to the furniture - are undeniable for anyone.

Some seem that only they have advanced academic training and deny that others also have it
if they do not match, very unprofessional.

Last edited:
If I did not notice the improvement in bass would try to implement the filter proposed by Zvu, maintaining the Mills MRA resistors and the bypass with Miflex KPCU-01 0.01uF 600Vdc. If I am so reluctant, it is because I like the bass very much. The problem has always been the treble, if the on-axis boxes are heard, but the coaxial ones almost always sound better off-axis.

About 3 cm I think.

BTW, they are not the first boxes I modify, mine or others. The first was about 26 years ago. Then with irritating fiberglass.

I have also checked the ferrite tweak with other loudspeakers, with first order filters too. Same impressions. Big 3-ways.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.