Why does it work? Crossover with RF ferrite (wires) and 10nF polystyrene (bypass)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bypassing a series tweeter cap with a small value (like the .01uf) helps the leading edge transients come across, filling in what is lost on the larger cap.
This gives a faster/fuller sound, downside is it can possibly blur the sound a little but I find this blurring to aid smoothness in the right situations.

I don’t know what a rf ferrite is ?

Do you mean increases the bandwidth, which helps if you can hear that high?

if you mean overshooting 20khz then no.

I mean the initial attack of a sound.....piano key hitting a string, drumstick hitting a skin or symbol, pluck or twang.
This is a fast short lived rise that’s usually a higher frequency than the actual note being produced and a bypass cap helps it come across more naturally.

It’s not a delusional audiophile thing either a $3 Cornell Dubilier outperforms many of the high $$ boutique caps.

I’m pretty sure it’s measureable also.....I’ve seen comparisons.

maty tinman Spain

It seems that there are more that imagine things like me.

JBL LSR305 tweaking
Having 2 or more people imagining things does not make them any truer.
And you are linking to your own, earlier posts , as "proof"

Je, talking about ferrites, I have Würth 150 kHz 8 mm ferrite in my KEF Q100 5.25" coaxial speakers. Only in the woofer -> more bass and cleaner/faster. If tweeter too, then I had "V" sound, I do not like it.

It was trial and error. Years ago I asked here and nobody could give me an explanation!
You mean, nobody gave you an explanation you liked.

Besides what was answered in both threads, basically calling it "confirmation bias", reinforced because you took pride on NOT measuring.
For now I do not have measurement equipment.
In general people do not trust much:
* overblown statements
* which go against common established knowledge
* which despise generally recognized testing procedures
and in general demand for proof.

And no, your own statements , just repeated over and over, adding grandiose words, do not constitute such.

To:
1ª Why when I add a RF ferrite to the woofer wires I have more bass and faster?

2ª Why when I add a RF ferrite to the twitter wires I have more too much HF?
when challenged, you answered:
The effect of RF ferrite on sound is very evident, undeniable.
To whom?
I can not find a logical explanation
We neither.
The ABX test is not necessary with the RF ferrites. As I do not need it to know if the day is sunny or cloudy
No comment.
I put the ferrites on the speaker wires, on the side of the box.

I have lost many bass!!!
If anything, you would have lost Treble.
I do not understand why 150 kHz ferrite improves the bass as much. A year has passed and I still do not have the answer!
Unless you provide measurements confirming your statements, (notice we are still open to the possibility, just waiting for proof) , we can´t confirm them, not being in the same room as you and hearing the same as you.

So either you setup a large pizza and beer party and invite us all to a grand testing session (hint hint ;) ) *or* you get some measurement equipment, set it up, test system and provide results.
As of the Party, provide enough beer and we´ll agree with you on anything you say :)

You have already claimed that you spent 3 years experimenting with this ... more than enough time to setup some basic measurement equipment.

Which thanks to modern Software can be simulated on a PC, with minimal actual hardware needs.

Please check the Software section in this Forum, how to setup a speaker measurement system, etc.

Actual hardware is very simple, only "expensive" part is the microphone, yet there are reasonable price ones, and you can even make your own out of ultracheap electret capsules.

EDIT: almost forgot, not even Würth Electronics , the ferrite maker, agrees with you :eek:

to begin with they call them:
74272733 - Split Core Ferrite, 8 mm, 150 kHz, 30 MHz, STAR-FIX
which should be a hint, and then provide *this* graphic .... starting at 300kHz :eek:

Why would they cause dramatic evident audible-by-anybody sound changes at the lowest Audio frequencies (such as Bass) is beyond me.

Attachments

• Wurth F1 01.jpg
    Wurth F1 01.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Can this work the other way? One expects to hear what one has measured.
Yep, anyone who has spent time in a studio tweaking the EQ and repeatedly convincing themselves of the improvement only to notice 20 minutes or so later that the thing was in bypass the whole time (And almost everyone who has worked in those places will either admit to having done it or is lying).

I know I have screwed up with the DScope III and convinced myself I can hear something I can see on the metering only to discover that a test lead ground has fallen off or something a few minutes later.

A really insidious one is writing something like a dynamics plugin, the settings tend to get ever more extreme as you work (and as the ears become fatigued), come back the next day and it sounds like ****.

Passive crossovers are one of the very few places where caps get significant signal voltage developed across them, and are low impedance enough to be passing significant current, if you are going to get an effect it will be here. That said, I have been screwed by expectation bias (Both listening and in measurement) way too often to believe it for one film cap Vs another.

The ferrite thing is weird as that is a common mode configuration, if real and not another case of expectation bias I would be sticking a scope on the amplifier output devices to look for HF honk, as it sort of feels like amplifier stability more then speakers as such....

When I made the tweaks, other person was with me.

It was difficult to detect the improvement of the bypass, which is not an exaggeration, and he is older than me. But he noticed a lot of the ferrite, when I put it on the woofer and when it was with tweeter too. He was also annoyed by the excess of trebles.

And we both have some technical knowledge ... and he did not find any explanation either.

The other day, after my last improvement of the second hand AV Marantz SR4500 was amazed to listen to a new and exceptional rip from Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, SP. When I told him how I got the improvement he was even more surprised!

Last edited:
Sounds like very biased experience.
Even if have such results which is not measured still it should be somewhere but not ferrite related.

This ferrite used to supress High frequency current and the frequencies are out of sound band but in low band of radio frequencies till the shortwave.

The inductance of one path through the ferrite will give 1-2 uh, but for low bass you need ten thounds more to get sufficient inductance.

the scheme you used to put ferrite on the wires is common choke mode as was mentioned properly and in that way the ferrite has no influence on the current between wires but may have influence if current will travel thorugh one of wire and some kind of "third link/wire" - again this is impossible in audio frequencies.

You may see the difference if you construct ShortWave antenna for 27mHz and try to supress some emissions of feeder connected to such antenna - again compare 100Hz and 27.000.000Hz

Classic usage of these ferrites is to supress emissions of different switch powersupplies and the source of EMI noise on which may suffer radios and other sensetive electronics.

if you wish to feel the difference you need material with bigger magentic permeability - iron core or iron powdered core or plates of iron and then put it inth coil core - some difference may take place. :) it is a joke but still have some ability to make influence in sound if compare with ferrite on the wires

Last edited:
In an earlier life, I made an important discovery of far-reaching significance. Until my research was presented to my management in Ontario, there were few or no feasible methods of eliminating bothersome highway noise from the homes adjacent to the highway. But I found a fool-proof technology. (OK, maybe "fool-proof" isn't exactly the right term.)

See post #9:

Krell KSA clone, Aleph J or AMB for Quad 57?

...First one box and the second. When I saw it clear I cut the excess wires, which I left in case I was not convinced...

Actually, maty tinman should talk with the folks in the planar forum where certain persons are deliriously happy about fixing their speaker sound using power supply snubbers to control super-sonic radiations inimical to their sonic enjoyment. (OK, maybe "deliriously happy" isn't exactly the right term.)

B.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.