Why does it work? Crossover with RF ferrite (wires) and 10nF polystyrene (bypass)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@cm6

Thank you. The problem is the woofer only works few kHz, until 2.2 kHz. That ferrite begins to be effective from 150 kHz (unlike the usual cheap ones, 1 Mhz).

With the tweeter (first order filter) causes an unpleasant increase in treble.

Maybe I'm not reading it correctly but figure 10 in the paper shows an increase in distortion of almost 30db at 1KHz.
The ferrite bead works great at suppressing the switching frequency up at 150KHz but it also causes a lot of distortion down in the audio band.
True, ferrite beads are much smaller than what you are using but still......

From the Würth 150 kHz ferrite PDF:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wurth-150-khz-ferrite-impedance-curve.png
    Wurth-150-khz-ferrite-impedance-curve.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 325

Attachments

• Wurth-150-khz-ferrite-impedance-curve-new-2020.png
    Wurth-150-khz-ferrite-impedance-curve-new-2020.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
I just did something similar to a pair of Klipsch rb-51 speakers, in this case there was too much overlap around the crossover area.
I wouldn’t recommend a ferrite on any speaker, amp output or interconnect these days however. A couple years ago I was getting something from doing this on an old Hafler amp, as it must have been oscillating a bit to have made a difference. I no longer use that amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.