What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You are referring to the JX150 woofer? That is what he used some decade & a half after the one’s you mention. I have a basket from a dead one in my Al recycle and 2 of the magnets hanging off teh door. I ende dup seeling my working pair. Allen liked thm better than the smaller “official” FR.

JordanJX150_fr.jpg
JordanJX150Bk.jpg

A Phase Linear Transmission Line Project -- Basic Measurements

dave

Nope, much older than those. Here's what they look like nowadays, courtesy of an old friend who still has some.

I have a bunch of the EAD/Jordan JX125NG drivers here, haven't used them yet.

Allen was indeed still listening to JX150 Jordans when I visited him in Munich, Jan 2000, and had finally decided to try the new tweeters with them. This was a major change, he always advocated single cone FR systems. But by then he was suffering tinnitus badly, so maybe needed the extra top end.

Qr41M5y.jpg
RLIaWkz.jpg

Rob

Last edited:
Yeah, the surrounds are pretty shot. I bought some new cones and surrounds for these drivers but so far they haven't been delivered to me for repairs. Centres sported a cylindrical grey foam plug originally, but those have also deteriorated beyond recognition.

The company was a subcontractor to Ted Jordan, they are early 1970s Jordan speakers.

My original message #300 stated they were 165mm which was actually the hole diameter. The OD is 181mm (7.125") but they were almost always known as 8" speakers by those few who owned them. These were very rare, even more so than the (actual) 8" titanium drivers used by Keith Monks between 1966-1974 and the later J125 Glastonbury drivers used by Max Townshend.

Last edited:
BTW this interview hits many of the highpoints of Ted's career: TNT-Audio inter.views Ted Jordan

Thanks for posting that link. Time flies and it literally has been 20+ years since in came out.

Don't want to stray off topic.... but Ted kept single/wideband-with drivers alive/relevant. Most of what he says in the interview has not changed. I remember exchanging emails with him decades ago, aside from being brilliant and concise, Ted was very humble and modest.

While not an 8", the JX92s still remains as one of the most balanced full rangers out there.

EJJ >
I cannot attempt to comment on the future of home audio the chaotic trends of fashion are totally unpredictable. It is sad to note that the pursuit of technology in terms of DVD/AV/Audio does more to serve our addiction for sensory stimulus rather than the appreciation of music.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
While not an 8", the JX92s still remains as one of the most balanced full rangers out there.

I’ve had 3 pair and they all had high frequency issues that made them unlistenable (IMO).

The Eikona is decidely better but comparison to the new Alpair 11ms showed where it was lacking, but those could have been enclosure issues.

If anyone wants to come pick the boxes up i’ll let them go cheap.

...the appreciation of music.

It is important to remember that the whole point of a hifi is to connect you to the music. If your hifi does that, it is a good thing.

dave

I agree but they’re waaay better than Lowthers

I listened to the Voxative at RMAF 2012. It was quite similar to other full range drivers with whizzers. Nothing profoundly different. I found the Rethm speakers, with Lowthers, to be much better sounding than the Vox.

It's Audio Nirvana for me, the poor man's Lowther.

AN is my choice also, I employ the 5” classic with subs

I've been doing some measurements on fullrange units. Surprisingly the flattest don't always give the sound I like . . .

Having said that the speakers from China that I've mentioned before pair 2 unit DavidLouis audio HiEND 8 inch fullrange speaker 97db tube sounds | eBay now commanding a very high price are both quite flat and the most open natural sound of all.

A friend with a pair of AER borrowed a pair of Lowther DX4 and prefers the Lowthers.

The Fostex FP203 are without doubt particularly excellent.

I bought a pair of Voxativ style speakers from China. Whether the cones are manufactured in China or whether they are just copies I don't know but I found them very disappointing. Not as alive as others by any means.

The small 6" Audio Nirvanas sound coloured to me - perhaps I simply haven't run them in yet.

Visaton BG20 with the wizzer cone removed are impressively smooth - and I suspect not much different to the B200. Putting those with a tweeter on a 6db per octave crossover (capacitor in series) crossing over at 8kHz so above the critical range would be a solution.

Likiwise Horning did a variation removing the Lowther wizzer cone, smooth up in the treble with a tweeter coming in at 6kHz.

I very much recommend converting 3-way speakers such as
Wharfedale Laser 110
Celestion Ditton 15
Celestion Ditton 200
taking out the 8 inch midrange units (or the Ditton 15 ABR) and replacing by a high efficiency full range. This gives bass extension and, if the treble unit of the Full Range is directional, on axis the tweeter making no effect but off axis filling in the missing top treble from the fullrange. This becomes of the nature of the Horning, but in a very compact speaker in comparison.

The Philips full range 8 inch sound nasal to me - but with the dust cap removed, seemingly open and transparent. I'm not sure there's any difference between the Alnico and the Ferrite versions.

Best wishes

David P

Last edited:
Hi,
I had read about many DIYers removing their Wizzer cone, in reality how do actually remove it, is it difficult, have you seen anyone videotaped the procedure on Youtube? I like to watch it?
Your overall observations are interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
You just take a craft knife to it.

However, I think I prefer the sound with a whizzer . . .

I regularly remove dustcaps, glue in a phaseplug made of copper also to provide a Faraday ring which gives better low frequency control at higher power, and enlarge the wizzer more to Lowther sizes.

Doing it is a challenge and I ruin one out of three units I play with . . . Superglue down the magnet gap . . . :-( So it's fun of the wrong sort.

Best wishes

David P

You just take a craft knife to it.

However, I think I prefer the sound with a whizzer . . .

I regularly remove dustcaps, glue in a phaseplug made of copper also to provide a Faraday ring which gives better low frequency control at higher power, and enlarge the wizzer more to Lowther sizes.

Doing it is a challenge and I ruin one out of three units I play with . . . Superglue down the magnet gap . . . :-( So it's fun of the wrong sort.

Best wishes

David P

Also, how do you remove the dust cap, by using a sharp knife and cut around the cap? That is like a surgical cut.

Yes - I use a sharp craft knife and rotate the speaker. Sometimes I put a large bass signal through the unit and then hold the knife still whilst the speaker does the work.

I haven't got the graphs of the effect of dustcap easily to hand but the one thing one has to avoid is a cylindrical void in the middle of the voice coil. That is best capped off.

Here's a fullrange unit without whizzer
attachment.php

With whizzer as original
attachment.php

With enlarged whizzer and phase plug
attachment.php

Ignore response below 200hz in these graphs.

Best wishes

David P

Attachments

• FR no whizz.png
    FR no whizz.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 954
  • FR with whizz.png
    FR with whizz.png
    14 KB · Views: 947
  • FR with extended whizz and phase plug.png
    FR with extended whizz and phase plug.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 660
David P.

Interesting thanks.

Wonder Has anyone try is this option(my idea),

1. Remove the dust cap
2. Mount a tiny silk dome tweeter in its place and the tweeter is held up with a twin( one +ve and the other -ve)thick copper wire which acts as an electrical conductor. This dome may be surrounded by a Whizzer which is there already.
3. Design a xover for FR and silk dome tweeter
4. This option has 2 advantages of smooth high freq response and coherent sound reproduction.

will this work? I suspect this contraption had been tried already and didn't work that well. Any comments?