What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard?

My idea is NOT new someone(you) tried it 30years ago...most times 'new' ideas had been tried before and discarded and rarely a gem of a new idea comes along.

Maybe the woofer you picked was a steep slant edge cone ie "deep" cone will a shallower cone be more suitable?
Possibly the angle of the slanted edge of the cone is critical to this kind of project/idea.

Just...posting my experience for all to see; maybe helps (you) - or someone - avoid making the same mistake. It's sure tempting to revisit the idea with the bits GM posited.

3d0e176336612cc1314a552b9542d53b.jpg

From the Philips fullrange loudspeaker catalog 1980. Wow AD-9710 is a true industrial high-tech speaker ;)

Last edited:
Actually what is a curvilinear cone, any description or mathematical formula?

Pretty sure its flare factor [T or S] is exponential, so would have to measure its throat [St], effective mouth [Sm] since at some point it usually becomes conical, effective axial length to find its effective flare frequency [Hz].

curvilinear horn profile mathematics - Google Search

All in all, a good question for Bjørn Kolbrek or similar.

GM

Well, of those i heared:

Philips 9710M is very good in the oldskool sound. Not so much extention high or low, but it does sound extremely good. I got some that i still need to put to use (planning an OB with it). For a modern response they need a woofer and tweeter altough.

TB W8-1808 is rather good in the right enclosure, but the colouration may not be for everyone. A much cheaper but almost as good sounding, but less efficient driver is the W8-2145. The W8-1772 that some here like does not do it at all for me.

Visaton B200 is one of the better OB full range drivers that I heared, but it needs a helper woofer and is not really fit for something else than OB.

But in general, i like smaller drivers 4"-6" seems to be the sweetspot for me. They can do the highs right and still give some bass (and some more than some bass). Some bigger also can work, but it need wizzer cones wich not many can do right. The Fane 12-250TC is good at it and a steal for the price they go. Smaller always need a helper woofer but with it it can be great.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Visaton B200 is one of the better OB full range drivers that I heared, but it needs a helper woofer and is not really fit for something else than OB.

I have built an OB B200, if the baffle is big enuff it is actually one of the few drivers that can produce bass on their own on a baffle. I have 4 and plan on doing something that is not an OB (still haven’t got it sorted in my head.

But in general, i like smaller drivers 4"-6" seems to be the sweetspot for me.

Me too.

dave

I found that any of these old style drivers which were designed for open back radio's - start to sound terrible if you put them in any sort of enclosure.
Aperiodic boxes are a good way to add a woofer helper without adding to much size to the OB build.

Shoog

Reactions: 1 user
I have built an OB B200, if the baffle is big enuff it is actually one of the few drivers that can produce bass on their own on a baffle. I have 4 and plan on doing something that is not an OB (still haven’t got it sorted in my head.

Well, the only other way to make the sound good is using an extreme big sealed one, like 1000L, wich is the size of an wardrobe or an American fridge. Then you have an F6 of 30hz and a flat response. But the waf factor of that is very small i think...:p