What's the best 8" fullrange that you've heard?

I already tried that years ago with someone (a 190L aperiodic actually with one driver), and we got an F3 of 50 and an F6 of about 36Hz if i remember right, but with a 3dB bump still at 80Hz, so a bit a one note bass if you're picky... When we sealed the cabinet, the response was similar, but the bump more outspoken. At the end the friend removed the back and made it an open back cabinet that sounded much better but had no bass, so he added a sub (a Beyma 12" in a ported cabinet) and a passive crossover at 120Hz ...

Reactions: 1 user
Are you kidding me? My 9710 running in the background with rolling and stomping bass and enough treble. I could hear the cymbals & tape hiss on the Gino Vannelli analogue recording extremely clear.

AD-9710 has more and much better bass than Alpair 10.3.

maybe i heared them in a wrong cabinet. I did not put mine in a cabinet yet. But with the limited xmax, the bass won't be like i have the bass in my ported speakers with the 10.3's for sure. But that they are great, that is true, especially for that time period. And i don't mind the oldskool treble response, so i won't add a tweeter above them, but many want it.

Purchased Wild Burro alnico 8” drivers for open baffle
These drivers imho beat all 8” I’ve heard including the new Lii Silver 8 and 10 at $1200 USD/pair

applied data from GR RESEARCH that Danny Ritchie determined to set up open baffle wings (see YouTube GR Research open baffle secrets part 3 for details if interested

FULL RANGE DRIVERS RULE!

Last edited:
755C/E aren't even close to the 755A. Don't have the HF extension or definition of the A, but they are good near full-range midranges. A bit boring as standalones and need tweeters to my ear.

Real 755As have a superb balance, seem to have more subjective HF than measured and produce bass in the proper proportion to the HF. It is still just about my favorite speaker, although a bitch to set up right. Easy to make it sound awful.

Who knows what that LM 755EX is...it seems to deviate quite a bit from 755A specs. 8 ohm instead of 4 ohm, efficiency is a bit down, fs is far lower than a real 755A according to the factory website (68 vs 95hz). and the biggie... field coil vs massive Alnico donut magnet.

It might be a good speaker but it is probably best viewed as its own thing rather than anything to do with a WE 755A except looks from the front.

Attempts were made in Japan to make repro 755As and replacement cones but nobody ever pulled it off to the satisfaction of people who know what real 755As can do.

I am a big fan of 755As but they just cost too much to take seriously unless you have stoopid piles of loose cash laying around--or if you get lucky and find some in the wild.

I just spent a few days hanging out with the top 755A experts in the world, Mukai and Doi of Western Sound Inc (Mr. Doi is resident WE expert at Stereo Sound and Tube Kingdom)...I put some of their comments on my blog at junkboxjukebox.com in posts about the 755A.
ive been hunting for a we 755a ever since i heard a pair
ive been reading about Altec 755a version being identical in sound to the WE 755a. can anyone confirm to be true?

Axiom 80 driven by fleawatt monoblocks, but my pair was left in the States when I came to work in Beijing. I brought with me Lowther PM6A drivers but then found a pair of Fidelio PM2A in Singapore... My new favorite is Supravox 215RTF variant, for which I saved for over half a year by eating lots of instant noodles. HF whizzer done right.

The 9710 in Decca corner horn (with the driver facing upwards and the back wall) sounds nice. Listenning to the 9710 is horrible as is was not meant to be used that way.
The best 8" was Voxativ Arpeggio horns, they not only sounded really good but simply " right" natrual or what I should call it. I have heard Lowther in Schmackshorns and some Fostex and they have not been close to the Voxativ driver.

The 9710 in Decca corner horn (with the driver facing upwards and the back wall) sounds nice. Listenning to the 9710 is horrible as is was not meant to be used that way.
Sorry, but that is ********, the orignal cabinet, the Philips AD5046 from 1959 is a simple big aperiodic ported cabinet. My grandparents had those in their living room toghetter with the AG9014 amplifier untill 1998. They were broken beyond repair at that time and were replaced by Kenwood speaker and amplifier my father bought for them. My father then sold the drivers to guy for 2000 Belgian franks, what is now about 50€ (but with inflation counted more like 100€ in real value). This is how they look (not the original, taken from the web).

1666190230689.png
1666190248828.png

Reactions: 1 users
Dear Waxx,
I refer to the 8 ohm version that has a 10db level increase above 2 kHz.

The setup you refer is a 800 ohm driven by tubes without output transformers. They had a good reputation 60 years ago, but I have neither knowledge or opionion on how to use those drivers.

Dear Waxx,
I refer to the 8 ohm version that has a 10db level increase above 2 kHz.

The setup you refer is a 800 ohm driven by tubes without output transformers. They had a good reputation 60 years ago, but I have neither knowledge or opionion on how to use those drivers.
The ones they had were, but the low ohm version also existed and was called the AD5050. The drivers of those are the ones i use now in my workshop speakers. I had the drivers for a while and had an old cabinet from a subwoofer (150L ported) and i just mounted the philips in it to have some sound and it works perfect. It's also kind of aperoidic ported (as the cabinet was not designed for the 9710's i have)) but the sound is very good. And those 800ohm drivers are just the same cone and a similar magnet, only 800hm in stead of 8ohm, both have heavy resonances. But many fullrange drivers do. Look at many modern fostex or lowther drivers and you see just the same. The thing is that it does not matter that much in this kind of speakers. They will never be neutral or hi fidelity, but they are still nice to listen to. This is how i use them now (more ore less)

Attachments

• IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    342.3 KB · Views: 45