What is The Meaning of Life?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
But it's never smooth. Lots of peaks and troughs. But we've broken the model, but kept the breeding instincts. There was a Niven & Pournelle novel based on this idea "The Mote In Gods Eye". Excellent stuff :)

In China the one child policy was a disaster, because as well as that they educated their women. It turns out that educated women generally don't want to stay at home and breed. So families got smaller all on their own. It seems to be a general thing, female education and the provision of labour saving domestic appliances mean lower birth rates... (the remarkable) Hans Rosling did a really nice TED lecture/presentation. Here's a list of Rosling's population related lectures.
My point regarding China's birth control policy was in answer to this statement.."its just to fill every available niche with living organisms." With all it's faults, the policy stopped that from happening. It may one day be used in other places if the need arises. For many I would say, bringing life into a hostile environment is enough of a contraceptive on it's own.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
With all it's faults, the policy stopped that from happening.
It's actually not that clear it did. What it did do was encourage abortions of females and forced sterilizations leading to a big gender imbalance in the population. I'd argue that the education of women was more influential in reducing the birth rate and had the CCP concentrated on that instead of the one child policy that have achieved the control they required without the gross human rights violations.

Finally, this isn't a hostile environment. In all of human history there's never been a better time to be born.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
@Audiofrenzy : I totally disagree with the first sentence ! It's a matter of perspective. Can be very intimate too if you question on your own life. It doesn't need to be a cosmic gang bang to have a sense.

@krivium : you firered before me, indeed very strange : all that verticality... nah, break the chains, breathe... follow your own palatability... and ho a bottle of Bordeaux... whatever you like ! :)

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, there is many ways to apprehend life and such we are all strange to others one way or another... ;)

Variety is the spice of life to me. If someone think differently than i'am it makes me curious, it can often brings some new perspective... food for thoughts.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I certainly thougth the same in the first half part of my life... now I just take the spices...

Nothing bad to ask oneself about ontology in a phenomenology perspective... but that is not saying me where the corkscrew is hiden in my f...g kitchen !

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
And what happened in the second half to make you change pov Diyiggy? ;)

I feel this interest to others keeps on growing the older i get. Oh no : I'm a weirdos... :)

Anyway i'm not sure being a believer or not is of real interest here: from the many discussions i had with friends, religious authority ( whatever the religion) and my own thoughts i'm sure we all question ourselve about this.
The answers we have can be differents for sure, but not this much ime.

Why believing in evolution would imply no meaning to one's life?

I find this strange and i'm curious ( about the philosophical side of things, no needs to break the rules).
That picture Galu posted is a very accurate statement if you believe in evolution. If evolution is all about eat , survive and reproduce then humans are no exception.

If you believe we come from a Greater Power then we humans are the EXCEPTION.

@Audiofrenzy : I totally disagree with the first sentence ! It's a matter of perspective. Can be very intimate too if you question on your own life. It doesn't need to be a cosmic gang bang to have a sense.

@krivium : you firered before me, indeed very strange : all that verticality... nah, break the chains, breathe... follow your own palatability... and ho a bottle of Bordeaux... whatever you like ! :)
Do what thou wilt. ;)