What is next cheap amp after TPA3255 that is better?

New TPA3255 Mono block, balanced and unbalanced :

With a linear PSU

H75f8c801462641a59bc43adc2f236b94s.jpg

H06aa797a438a4b789f09ce4b40af7a29b.jpg

He1a96ad4fb8344daa858ec7b29dcd37b9.jpg

Hi,

That s a good question, I can't answer since the Company has produced only a few amps and does not exist anymore...
But if I am not wrong, I think that all grounds are converging to a unique point, pretty like the "symetrical Signal Trace" with a single point of mass (same tech. as Rotel as far as I remember).

@danibon even if i like TA2022 and TA3020, Tripath it was always noisy and now you show an TA2022 with thousands of components that don't exist.
Not what I asking for as TS. :)
I like the simplicity of TPA3255 with few components which I think and hope is the future of chips
even the GaN chip seems a little complicated.
Maybe i'm wrong.

I can assure you for once that you are wrong) I have owned the Topping TA2022 and the Audiophonics TA2022. The Poppulse is absolutely amazing and far away better than any other standard tripath amps. Dead silence for me and since I updated the OP amps > OPA1656 + 1692, it is even better specially for the Soundstage.

The TPA3255 is fantastic chip but if you have the Opportunity to test the PoPpulse T180 MD version, go on !!! you should read the Thread I shared...
By the way I am still waiting for the Sample from Allo. They are facing an issue with their new PSU @the moment... wait and see )

The Gan chip is not complicated at all ) Checkout this dual Gan, built like a tank ) Fully balanced and powered with a low noise Bipolar LLC PSU
The Gan is changing the rules of transistor performance, GaN power semiconductors have better thermal perfs and are more efficient regarding the power.

200W / 8R in an small box ) We are still at the beginning but I think the technology is really promising...

Last edited:
Ok we are many here and on ASR that are a little sceptical about your hype about amps...
You run same speakers?
Maybe other speakers sounds different with same amp?
You have any EQ or just have those speakers as reference?
Are your room without peaks?
Have you measure anything?
Your ears maybe like something that we others don't like?

Maybe... but you re many here and from ASR sending me emails )
I try to help the community as well as possible in the end)
Why do you think I'm being asked? Because I am a "charlantan" or because I am credible? Remember about the DrMordor modules... remember about the OPA1656....

Many people jump to conclusions when reading ASR measurements ... I decided to do both and test all the amps that I can find) There are great amps for all tastes and all portfolios)

For example, I am the first to think that the next Allo TPA3255 amp should sound wonderful and I have already shared the measurements .... In the end, several people answered me that they are only measurements ...
You will always have purists close to numbers or enthusiasts whose musical appendix is irreplaceable)

My setup is the same :

Gustard X16 / Gustard A18 dacs
Streamer LG V30
source : HD audio Playlist

My speakers :

Last edited:
In which regards? Precision, sound stage.. ? And most importantly - did you level match the amps?

Accuphase P-300 & P-300X (modded).

Accuphase in comparison to modded TPA3255 with modded Meanwell PSU:

1. Very very very slow
2. Transient attack? With the Accuphases it's difficult to hear the difference between a Steinway and a Bösendorfer.
3. Soundstage is limited, it is dark & shut-in. The TPA3255 is so much more 3D and airy.
4. Bass is detached, bloated, muddy and hopelessy slow - no wonder. TPA3255 working speed is so much higher. The TPA3255 slams the basslines as if there is no limit to speed, deepness and all very articulated.
5. Upper mids and highs losing tons of details.
6. No air around instruments. It's a dark muddy & sticky chaos.

Honestly the Accuphases sounding like Pichelsteiner Eintopf cooked for 10 hours!

Last edited:
You are wrong.

1. Damping factor is not a measurement about sound quality. 300B triode amps have very very low DF but they can sound amazing. The amp to LS connection is a very complex situation and DF is only one of the variables involved.

2. Martin Colloms used a modded P-300 til the 90's because of the sound quality. The P-300 has beaten so many amps build in the last 50 years it is amazing.

3. The P-300 was build from 1973 to 1977.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Accuphase P-300 & P-300X (modded).

Accuphase in comparison to modded TPA3255 with modded Meanwell PSU:

1. Very very very slow
2. Transient attack? With the Accuphases it's difficult to hear the difference between a Steinway and a Bösendorfer.
3. Soundstage is limited, it is dark & shut-in. The TPA3255 is so much more 3D and airy.
4. Bass is detached, bloated, muddy and hopelessy slow - no wonder. TPA3255 working speed is so much higher. The TPA3255 slams the basslines as if there is no limit to speed, deepness and all very articulated.
5. Upper mids and highs losing tons of details.
6. No air around instruments. It's a dark muddy & sticky chaos.

Honestly the Accuphases sounding like Pichelsteiner Eintopf cooked for 10 hours!

From how you describe the sound of the Accuphase P-300 it's no wonder the TPA3255 won - the 50 year old amplifier needs a complete overhaul! Aside from that, newer Accuphase amplifiers sound indeed different than the first series does and that's why I was asking. Thank you for going into details about the sound.

Which TPA3255 board do you have? What did you modify?

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Accuphase p300 is 1975 right? Dampening factor 60. I guess most modern amplifiers would be better

A DF of 60 isn't bad, most amps from the early 70s just got ~20. The damping factor can make a big difference on difficult to drive speakers, on most 'normal' speakers you can't tell there's much (or even if) audible difference because of the DF. There are good sounding amplifiers with laughable DF and bad sounding ones with a very high DF, but you can partly estimate how well the amp will like a certain speaker. For an instance: On great impedance fluctuations or low impedance dips in conjunction with phase shift a low DF amplifier will typically not perform great. The crossover can be modified on many speakers to limit the impedance changes to a much closer range of minimum/maximum impedance.