What is next cheap amp after TPA3255 that is better?

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
That was part of the motivation for getting into the Pascal power amps and balanced DSP setup fed with a proper soundcard featuring a proper knob to adjust volume. Who needs a remote anyway.

And you could replace a pot to one with a motor, you can get them fairly cheap. The pots could be better on some but I've once used the motor of one of them and removed the back, extended the shaft and coupled it with an alps pot. I usually don't need a remote either, that amp modification was for a friend.

If you're willing to pay the price of two Hypex 502 it is possible to get about the same quality and perhaps better, for less.
In my view I got better (chasing low noise levels) and paid about the same, so it's all good.

Is that a fane fullrange? Love these! :D Yes, with such high sensitive speakers the noise is a lot bigger issue than on shoe box sized toys. :D ;) I often use a horn for the top end or even midrange, so noise is there a problem too. ATM I don't have a horn bass, just one horn reflex speaker, the rest is either ported or sealed. The high sensitivity and large cone surface is important for realistic dynamics. Though, you have to chose the amp more carefully, noise becomes a problem on amps you thought were great - and on the big speakers they suddenly aren't anymore. The advantage is they don't need a lot of power, the priorities shift to other attributes on the amplifier.
Or in short: Not every good amp is good for everyone.

As for the HYPEx amplifiers I have owned the highest model in regard to reviews. I found the Ncore amplifiers seem to lack life. They sound like they have a plastic sheen or glass sheen. Its like stanidng in a glass hallway. This is somethign I do belive increases as CLass D supposedly gets "better" SMH.. Which I am not likeing very much actually. My favorite of all time is th eold Clss T Tripath and those amps are long gone. The Ncore They get very loud and sound good. However for the price I just can not hear much difference in it verss the older class D icepower. In fact I do belive the older Icepower does better with bass at lowest subsonic frequencies.. I am hoping teh new Gan Fet designs sound good. I have up on expensive Class D amplifiers. If you want a very good amplifier that does ecaxt sam ething *** Class D ( lots of power and control ) but does nto get hot at all, look at the old Class G and Class H amplifiers. For example Arcam aa20 and sa30. They are class G. Not digital but the grip they have on bass is astounding.

As for the HYPEx amplifiers I have owned the highest model in regard to reviews. I found the Ncore amplifiers seem to lack life. They sound like they have a plastic sheen or glass sheen. Its like stanidng in a glass hallway. This is somethign I do belive increases as CLass D supposedly gets "better" SMH.. Which I am not likeing very much actually. My favorite of all time is th eold Clss T Tripath and those amps are long gone. The Ncore They get very loud and sound good. However for the price I just can not hear much difference in it verss the older class D icepower. In fact I do belive the older Icepower does better with bass at lowest subsonic frequencies.. I am hoping teh new Gan Fet designs sound good. I have up on expensive Class D amplifiers. If you want a very good amplifier that does ecaxt sam ething *** Class D ( lots of power and control ) but does nto get hot at all, look at the old Class G and Class H amplifiers. For example Arcam aa20 and sa30. They are class G. Not digital but the grip they have on bass is astounding.

Hi,

I discovered a new Dual Tripath, fully balanced amplifier with updatable OP Amps in DIP8 sockets and full motorized volume knob.
You can use it as a power amp or use the internal preamp section.

I highly recommend to any EU user to listen to it ! This amp is absolutely amazing. if you have 500 euros to put in an amp, no doubt: this is the best amp I have tested in this price range.

I am using it with 2 OPA1656 + 2 OPA1692.

Jenny Evans - JBL 4311 Studio Monitor - Poppulse T180 T-Amp Class T - Gustard DAC X-10 - JAZZ - YouTube

Last edited:
Checkout :

29941762.jpg

Hah :) yeah, there should be a subscription service for audiophiles to roll new amp in every two weeks or so. Always best sound available, since change sounds the best no matter if it is better or worse measured.

Related issue: Easiest way to cheat the hearing system to hear better sound is to put more volume, SPL. Always sounds better and better until the limits of the system or hearing say it is unpleasant. For this reason, loudspeakers and the amplification should be capable to reproduce the good loud sound level without anomalies for best possible perceived sound quality. When all the equipment works flawlessly (a very good system) and is capable to trick the hearing system to the full maximum with proper listening SPL there is no way to best the system (without abusing other senses besides hearing, which would further enhance the experience :). For this reason any amplifier comparison should be done with matched SPL, have .5db difference and it is already defining which sounds better. Carry on

Last edited:
T.amp also offer 4 Channel x 250 watt 8 ohm with DSP for little money. Ali and eBay are fine for simple lowcost amps, but for just a little more we can have real stuff from good shops with warranty.

It's a nice looking amp for $500 US. I had a look at the user manual and it has analog inputs. So the customer is going to have to like the sound of whatever it is they're using to digitize the analog inputs, for the DSP function to operate.

By the reviews, it sounds like a lot of owners do.

I guess I'm wrapped around the axle of digital input pretty hard. I think it's pretty inevitable fully digital audio is the way things are going to end up; I'd like an amp with a digital in, a studio full of DSP in between, and as many DAC or Class D outputs as I'd care to populate (or have populated when built).

Ok, if you want 8, they provide a second slave box, that follows whatever you setup for it in the DSP of the first.

Attachments

• FX Audio D802.jpg
    FX Audio D802.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
I'm thinking I'd be seeing more amplifiers designed like this one -

Fx Audio D802 Audio Controller / Dsp Via Vt 1630a Full Digital Amplifier - Buy Digital Amplifier,Audio Amplifier,Audio Digital Amplfiier Product on Alibaba.com

It uses the STA326, which does have I2S input. It also uses the Via VT 1630A. No idea what's going on inside as far as architecture, no idea how it sounds.
I had one for a couple of years and didn't like it.
It had an mute function programmed in so if you played very low volume with piano music it muted on off all the time.
Sold it.

>I had one for a couple of years and didn't like it.

Was it noisy? I've read these have a low level hiss that cant be got rid of. The manufacturer / vendors know: "This amplifier emits a slight breath into the speakers during silent passages in the music. Although the phenomenon is very slight...it's important to take into account".

Someday, someone will make one and get it right. :scratch2: