What is next cheap amp after TPA3255 that is better?

New TPA3255 Finished amplifier from Audiophonics :

AUDIOPHONICS TPA-S100 Amplificateur Class D TPA3255 Bluetooth 5.0 2x 85W 4 Ohm Noir - Audiophonics

audiophonics-tpa-s100-amplificateur-class-d-tpa3255-bluetooth-50-2x-85w-4-ohm-noir.jpg

Looks nice, not specified if it's PFFB.
They do list 111db S/N though, and I don't see how that's possible IRL without PFFB.
Specified as 85w/ch in 4 ohm which is a bit less than expected, should be for 8 ohm IMO.

But overall it seems like a good product, clean look, nice to have basic treble/bass adjustment, power is adequate for most livingroom-use scenarios.

Would like to see another digital in, either coax or toslink, though it's probably enough for most enthusiasts to have only USB input.
Looking at the design choice of 16bit and other compromises, it probably sort of limits the noise floor to about 96db or so IRL, adequate for most, but I think this amp will struggle to achieve the specified 111db S/N.

Certainly value for money, a good amplifier for most & clean look, but probably not the most "ultimate" TPA3255 amp out there.

Edit:
And please don't drag in something about "dithered 16bit blah blah blah" into the discussion, it's irrelevant IMO.
Practical application of dithered 16bit in common-use scenarios is just fairy-dust and unicorn talk, fun for a particular crowd, not real.

Last edited:
Looks nice, not specified if it's PFFB.
They do list 111db S/N though, and I don't see how that's possible IRL without PFFB.
Specified as 85w/ch in 4 ohm which is a bit less than expected, should be for 8 ohm IMO.

But overall it seems like a good product, clean look, nice to have basic treble/bass adjustment, power is adequate for most livingroom-use scenarios.

Would like to see another digital in, either coax or toslink, though it's probably enough for most enthusiasts to have only USB input.
Looking at the design choice of 16bit and other compromises, it probably sort of limits the noise floor to about 96db or so IRL, adequate for most, but I think this amp will struggle to achieve the specified 111db S/N.

Certainly value for money, a good amplifier for most & clean look, but probably not the most "ultimate" TPA3255 amp out there.

Edit:
And please don't drag in something about "dithered 16bit blah blah blah" into the discussion, it's irrelevant IMO.
Practical application of dithered 16bit in common-use scenarios is just fairy-dust and unicorn talk, fun for a particular crowd, not real.

I want to say that I appreciate the honesty of Audiophonics which gives us not too dreamlike infos concerning the TPA3255

Everybody knows now that the TPA3255 is not Powerful chip but clean enough to Play music @ suitable level.

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

@32V / 5A you can expect about 48W / 8R max
SNR about 83DB

Last edited:
I'm not so sure, it looks like a nice amp and all, but Audiophonics is promising
SNR 111dB
Looking at the amp and the other information that can be gleamed, if I'm putting on my critical glasses:I'd say that's a lie, the highest possible in this configuration is likely 96dB, probably not better than 90dB IRL.

85watts in 4 ohms per channel is okay, but the chip is capable of that in 8 ohms at very low distortion values. See picture.

Attachments

• TPA3255.png
    TPA3255.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 567
The TPA3255 chip has a huge potential for sure ! On the condition that the elements which surround it are well implemented and of good quality

You can see many reviews of the TPA3255 in ASR, Jlester / Aiyima / 3EAudio etc.... you will notice some major differences.

I shared the measurements of the next Allo TPA3255, you will notice that the use of a quality LLC PSU or Air core inductors for example have a certain impact on the performance of the chip ...by extension it is valid with any chip)
:)

Facts, MINIDSP SHD Power amp TPA3255 vs JLESTER TPA3255 vs 3E Audio TPA3255 :

Minidsp SHD Power Amplifier Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

JL ELectronics Sylph-D200 Amplifier Module Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

3e Audio SY-DAP2002 Review (DSP Amplifier) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Last edited:
Looking at the amp and the other information that can be gleamed, if I'm putting on my critical glasses:I'd say that's a lie, the highest possible in this configuration is likely 96dB, probably not better than 90dB IRL.

We have implementations available for Group Buys here on DIYA that have noise floors below 120dB with the TPA3255. I'm pretty sure Audiophonics could pull it off - especially considering those big honking caps on the power supply of the Audiophonics unit.

This is the one from Premium Audio, made in the US.
I have all the measurements (would like to know about loop gain..) but I am very critical ... A test is worth more than a long speech. )

The amp is fully balanced and very powerfull > About 200W @ 8R and seems to measure well particulary @ high levels.

It is using a high grade Bipolar LLC PSU as you can see
You can also select the Gain

Wait and see.... )))

Last edited:
OK, no problem.

The plot has the text:
"Mini GaN 5 - 600W RMS per channel into 8 Ohms"
And the x-axis does show that the measurement is performed up to 600W.

But the amplifier specifications say this:
RMS Power Per Channel 8 Ohms - 200 WRMS Continuous (400W Peak)

The amp cannot produce 600W RMS per channel into 8 Ohms as the figure shows, so something is not correct.

My modded TPA3255 sounds extremely better than my Accuphase power amp. It sounds way better than my DIY 300B monos with Lundahl, silver wiring and elcap-free PSU. Just 2 examples.

Hypex? Some say they are better, others think the TPA3255 is better. Never heard and not so much interest from my side cos:

1. TPA3255 with mods is cheaper.
2. TPA3255 sounds amazing and I'm very very happy with it. The best power amp I ever had.
3. The next generation of TI chips will be even better. Reminder: The TPA3255 sounds so much better than the TPA3216 and that one was way better then the Tripath chips.
Morale of the story: Stick with TI and you can use your PSU and your audiophile parts with the next TI chipamp generation (hopefully).

3. The next generation of TI chips will be even better. Reminder: The TPA3255 sounds so much better than the TPA3216 and that one was way better then the Tripath chips.

Not OK.... I discovered a new dual Mono Tripath amp that sounds better than any TPA3255 I ve heard (Jlester, DrMordor etc) ! I own almost all TPA325X here and many others (Purifi / Hypex Ncore...)

I really think it's not the quality of the chip itself that makes the difference but everything around it, the way a chip is implemented makes all the difference. And this dual Tripath is the perfect example for me