What did you last repair?

What strikes me is that those that do such stuff are often very environmentally and ecologicallly oriented ... yet they don't seem to have a problem with energy waste of the grow lighting :)

Put solar cells on the roof to run the lights. Indirect sunlight. The most obvious benefit (to me) of growing your own is that it does not fuel terrorism, cartels, and gang wars. I’d certainly consider it a “more responsible, sustainable method” - even though I have no need of such substances myself. I’ve always liked the idea of skipping the middleman whenever possible, regardless of what you’re buying, because all they do is jack up the price.

I grew the ganja in college. I lined a closet with aluminum foil and bought a bunch of florescent "grow lights." It worked very well. I managed to grow some pretty good stuff. I also had outside spots where I grew some. This yielded some really good stuff and a lot of it!

It also attracted attention from local potheads and the police. One spot was well known by police (I wasn't the only farmer ;)) and there was an obvious trail right to the road, as well as a "secret" trail that required a mountain bike (or a hike) to access. One day I drove past the trail and there were cars parked there. I thought that was pretty stupid. When I drove past it 90 minutes later, there were cop cars parked there blocking in the other cars. Oops! Not smart.

3a116884945f870924f1ffd3f36fc015.png

And it's so nice that it's legal now. I even got the medicinal marijuana card from my doc. That means I pay way less tax :D and get first dibs if there's a shortage. ;)

No more cat and mouse with the cops. No more endless wasted police resources as they ferret out someone with a joint in their pocket. No more ruined lives over possession of a substance that grows everywhere. No more reefer madness!

reefer-madness-movie-poster-bettmann.jpg

I recently attended a festival in Evanston, Il. It was the Jamaican Independence festival, which attracts excellent music, outrageous costumes, and of course ganja. I had attended it a few years back and there was some BS going on (youngsters firing their guns:mad:) and so this festival puts the cops on high alert. Of course there were a whole lot of cops there.

I saw something there that I thought I'd never see. People were smoking ganja left and right (it was like a forest fire with the smoke :D) and the cops were 100% chill. People were puffing a spleef while chatting with the cops. Having grown up in an era of extreme reefer madness, it was surreal to me.

It made me very happy. I never thought I'd live to see ganja being tolerated by the authorities.

Last edited:

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Edit: wtf happened, I thought I was just reading about QC in this thread, now it's got a Homer picture? I'm losing it as I get older.

In defense of cheap, low quality tools: I can't justify spending lots of $$ on good quality, last a lifetime pliers/wrenches (knipex as an example). If I know I'm only going to use them once every 3-4 years, cheap is good.

Audio example: I don't need a fluke to do continuity testing and DC volt measurements accurate to 0.1 volt.

I first realized this and got depressed- I was living in NYC and had to put up some shelves. So I bought a cordless drill. Then I calculated the cost per hole I drilled. Depressing.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own the good gear, but just can't rationalize it.

Last edited:
I have tools from farther back than that. I have wrench sets and socket sets and breaker bars and ratchets... oh my. A lot is from back in the day when a lifetime tool actually lasted a lifetime or two. I still use the stuff but not a lot any more. People come over here sometimes and work on their cars. I've been letting people know who gets what when I pass into the great void. People come over here now and help me with stuff so that works for me. I'm gonna put it all in a will, some day soon.

That's it? I would expect at least a pound.

1st attempt ever, plants were 30" tall at harvest and are known for fast but small yield, 4 months from seed to crop.
Quality over quantity, 60 grams will be more then enough for a year enjoyment of a good tasting organic product.
I am 57 and this is the best I ever smoked.
No harshness, no taste of chemicals, just natural terpenes.

Stoners unite??? Please guys, kinda off topic here...planting & growing pot was not my intent of my most recent post, I was referring to the color temperature of those giant "grow lights"....a perfect color if you will for a workbench.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Rick...

Here they used to bye pass the meter for high use like A/c, people used them at night, and the wiring was done by the electric company people on the sly.
Then they wised up, and put meters on the transformers to spot theft.
A few pots, okay, personal use.
Now you can go off grid, that would make it more difficult to spot, but if it is legal now, not much point except as theft protection.

My colleague was on a jury duty years back before legal. He said the dead givaway of someone's growth operation was the "unusual" electric consumption of the particular house...that no one lived in, never had the lights on, yet consumed a ton for some reason.

We had a squatter a few years back across the street. (vacant property)

Woman in there worked for the local Housing Authority.
Even bragged about her "new home" on facecrook.

Odd, the windows and door were always dark, black trash bags sealing them.
Normal people don't do that, sorry.

But the electric was on there, and high usage.
(she somehow had the utilities turned on.)
I even saw some thug-types going in there sometimes, all of us neighbors were aware.

I contacted the bank who owned the place and gave them a heads-up.

Guess what, it was a ghetto-style "crib" with a living room and dining room loaded with pot pants.
They hoisted her butt right outa there.

Last edited:
VW Polo headlight adjuster.
Car scraped an MOT pass after fiddling with headlight (I stuck my fingers inside & lifted the innards).
Adjuster broken. Ball end on screw fits in a crummy plastic 3 claw socket. Mine had lost a claw.
Wasn't going to shell out on replacement lamp (lamps were actually 18 month old replacements).
Spent hours trying to fashion a socket that would clip on without success. Frustration levels rising. Then it dawned.
Housing drilled in the surround (the rim where the rubber cap fits for bulb replacement). M3x25 long screw & nut fitted projecting into the handhole. O ring looped behind the socket & stretched over the projecting screw. Holds everything securely in place while allowing normal adjustment.