"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Joined 2002
Paid Member
June 2019's Stereophile Magazine carries a review of the $9,500 Pass Labs XP-22 preamp. The designer is none other than Wayne Colburg who designed the Whammy and who is quoted in the review : 'We use an optically isolated transistor in the output bias circuit for a couple reasons...the first being that the transistor is isolated from any input control signal, so there are no artifacts from such a connection, and also because the LED which controls the transistor has a constant voltage characteristic which is also free of thermal drift.' Does this sound familiar to Whammy builders ?

I wonder if Wayne would be able to share which came first : the Whammy or the XP-22, or if they were developed in parallel, and if there are any other bits of shared technology.

How do you know this? You must have a very advanced copy of the issue or friends in the right places.

I had the pleasure to do some listening tests with Patrick’s discrete opamp design as a beta tester.

I used my Whammy build for the testing and tuned it a bit according to Patrick’s advices. The gain was set to 10x to compensate the Xen passive Xfeed and it’s attenuation. With the Xfeed installed gain is 3x. See the attached pics of Xfeed board (quick and dirty temporary installation) and discrete opamp in place.

The listening test was done between OPA2131, OPA627 and the Xen discrete. The source was RPi with Ian Canada’s ESS9038 dual DAC, FiFoPi, and opamp IV board, feeded with Ian’s battery board. You can check my DAC build here. Headphones were Audeze LCD-2f and music files ripped CDs in FLAC format played with Moode Audio player.

The discrete one was better with especially female vocals. Xen discrete opamp seemed to be also more fluent and easier to listen to. Then the OPA627 was a tiny bit better with male vocals, maybe due to the fact that it sounded a little warmer in mid region. As in comparison to OPA2132 I found no differences with bass depth/fastness or with high frequencies. Both the discrete and OPA627 were better than the OPA2132.

The differences were small and the back-to-back comparison is difficult since you obviously have to switch the systems off to change the opamp. But all in all, I can surely recommend the Xen discrete opamp with Whammy.

The OPA2132 sounds good with this preamp, be there are quite a few that are better. The MC33078 and the LM4562 has more 'magic' with female vocals, but there is something about the OPA2132 that makes things just easier to listen to, I assume it is precisely for the same reason. The noise floor on the LM4562 is ridiculously low though.

I have yet listened to any discrete, but I have a hard time thinking I can get much more out of an op amp than the two I listed. Less accurate but more shaped would be the only direction it could go at this point.

Last edited:
The OPA2132 sounds good with this preamp, be there are quite a few that are better. The MC33078 and the LM4562 has more 'magic' with female vocals, but there is something about the OPA2132 that makes things just easier to listen to, I assume it is precisely for the same reason. The noise floor on the LM4562 is ridiculously low though.

I have yet listened to any discrete, but I have a hard time thinking I can get much more out of an op amp than the two I listed. Less accurate but more shaped would be the only direction it could go at this point.

A inexpensive discrete op amp to try are these Chinese clones of the Marantz hdam module, sonically I thought they sat about half way between the detail of Burson V6 Vivid and more intimate/fuller V6 Classic. All three sound quiet noticeably different to my ears with the V6 classic preferred then the Marantz clone and lastly the V6 vivid.

Full Discrete DUAL Channels Op Amp Module replace NE5532 MUS02 OPA2604 LME49720 | eBay

Stereophile XP-22 Review

How do you know this? You must have a very advanced copy of the issue or friends in the right places.

Hi Wayne,

None of the above :). I only have a subscription to Stereophile magazine. The latest issue arrived last week. It says it's the June issue on the front cover, even though it's still May. I assume that you already have a copy of the XP-22 review ?

Thanks for the heads-up on which came first. I am interested in what Nelson and Pass labs do, and how and why they do it. I always find the interviews with Nelson in Stereophile magazine interesting and inspiring.

Mark

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Wayne,

None of the above :). I only have a subscription to Stereophile magazine. The latest issue arrived last week. It says it's the June issue on the front cover, even though it's still May. I assume that you already have a copy of the XP-22 review ?

Thanks for the heads-up on which came first. I am interested in what Nelson and Pass labs do, and how and why they do it. I always find the interviews with Nelson in Stereophile magazine interesting and inspiring.

Mark

I don't have a copy of the magazine just the review, we get to look it over for technical stuff you take whatever the review is. JA has run the magazine with a lot of integrity these years. It must come a bit earlier in the UK as I don't have my home copy yet.

May i ask, if it is posible :

I want more than 1 inputs, so can i have first Mezmerize B1 Buffer Preamp (unity ampl.) and then the whammy?

Thank you in advance

There is nothing wrong with that. With that preamp being unity gain, just send it's 1 output to the 1 input of the whammy, and then use the 3 inputs on the buffer preamp.

That would leave you with 2 volume knobs, but I would just turn the buffer all the way up(as that should be unity gain) and just leave it there.

Personally I like as few active stages as possible before output, so I would prefer a passive solution, but with it being unity gain, I doubt it will taint the signal at all.

Last edited:
JA

I don't have a copy of the magazine just the review, we get to look it over for technical stuff you take whatever the review is. JA has run the magazine with a lot of integrity these years. It must come a bit earlier in the UK as I don't have my home copy yet.

Wayne,

John Atkinson's integrity is the main reason I buy the magazine. It's interesting to see a British editor make a success of a US hifi magazine and attract like-minded and equally readable US contributors. However, JA announces his retirement as Editor in the June edition. He is staying on to do measurements and other things, and the new editor is an existing contributor. Hopefully this is a genuine jump rather than a push by the recent new owners of the magazine, who IMO would struggle to spell 'integrity' let alone demonstrate any, from the way they handled the recent handover of the related Innerfidelity site !

Mark

umm, burson sale on op amps.

$56US for the "V6 Vivid Dual X 1" (or classic)

Anyone try the these with the WHAMMY?

Supreme Sound Opamp V6 – Burson Audio

sub in v5i for v6 in the URL and the a couple of those are on sale too.

Whoops, missed this

A inexpensive discrete op amp to try are these Chinese clones of the Marantz hdam module, sonically I thought they sat about half way between the detail of Burson V6 Vivid and more intimate/fuller V6 Classic. All three sound quiet noticeably different to my ears with the V6 classic preferred then the Marantz clone and lastly the V6 vivid.

Full Discrete DUAL Channels Op Amp Module replace NE5532 MUS02 OPA2604 LME49720 | eBay

Last edited:
Yes I noticed the 20% off on V6 too.
My friend got vivid and classic V6 before; I compared both and vivid is my final pick.
We both agree V6 sounds the best for whammy after trying about 10 different opamps.
Second best opamps are LME94720 and LME4562, but it is just my personal preference; and much cheaper than V6.

Yes I noticed the 20% off on V6 too.
My friend got vivid and classic V6 before; I compared both and vivid is my final pick.
We both agree V6 sounds the best for whammy after trying about 10 different opamps.
Second best opamps are LME94720 and LME4562, but it is just my personal preference; and much cheaper than V6.

I am hearing similar performance out of the LM833 as the LM4562, which is surprising to me. However, I have also heard that manufacturing variance is higher on the LM833, so that might depend. I know it's slew rate is only 1/3 that of the LM4562, but that doesn't really mean a whole lot.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You don't want a super fast opamp in whammy, (or honestly, in most audio devices) there's absolutely no need and it has the possibility of making it unstable and/or oscillating. If you have a slew rate thats 10 times faster than the absolute fastest music signal theoretically possible, that will be great, and still fairly slow when compared to video signals ad faster things. I.E., super fast isn't important, and can be detrimental.

Broadly speaking, a type that the manufacturer labels suitable for audio will work beautifully.

I really like the LM833 in this circuit as well. :)

You don't want a super fast opamp in whammy, (or honestly, in most audio devices) there's absolutely no need and it has the possibility of making it unstable and/or oscillating. If you have a slew rate thats 10 times faster than the absolute fastest music signal theoretically possible, that will be great, and still fairly slow when compared to video signals ad faster things. I.E., super fast isn't important, and can be detrimental.

Broadly speaking, a type that the manufacturer labels suitable for audio will work beautifully.

I really like the LM833 in this circuit as well. :)

I assume a high slew rate can be bad when using global feedback. The more things between the output and feedback(especially capacitive), the more potential signal delay, and if the slew rate is too fast, it will constantly over and undershoot, leading to oscillations? I suppose a resistor from the output back to the feedback would help if that happens?

Last edited: