"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Let them run continuously for at least a week - the 'sound' improves dramatically.
If you haven't added the small caps directly to the chip's socket pins, suggest you do this.

For rails of +/-18V, you can add a simple transistor cap multiplier type circuit and drop a couple of volts or add a low dropout regulator in place of the series resistors to pull rails down to about +/- 15v.

This? (See pic) Love it since it's attached to the extra adapter (was in the V6 case) and therefore reversible for other rolling.

@advdesignguru has a couple of posts about this from back in Sept. (#2911). I happened to have the .33u on hand... 15.1VDC now... case is 12 degrees cooler... thanks for the awareness check @RafaPolit!

No comment on audio—first blush, no real change—but need to listen more of course.

Update: Temp on case of V5i came up to where it was before at the slightly higher, but debatably over juiced voltage... guess around 100F is normal?

Attachments

• PF-Burson-V5i-MKP-Mod.jpg
    PF-Burson-V5i-MKP-Mod.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
600 ohm headphones

Built the Whammy with the understanding that it would handle most headphones. I have some 600 ohm AKG Sextetts that sound pretty flat with the Whammy. All of my vintage receivers/integrated amps kind of destroy the Whammy for sound. Not sure if there is anything that I can do to modify it to improve this. On the other hand, since I have all of this other equipment, probably not necessary.

DAC for Whammy Pass DIY headphone amp ?

Burson V6 Classic in the Whammy, Topping D50 DAC and Emotiva Airmotiv GR1 headphones. Wonderful.

Thank you avdesignguru !

The Topping D50 Dac at about $200 sounds like a great pairing.

Anyone have other suggestions for a DAC for the Whammy Pass DIY headphone amp ?

Thank you !

Last edited: