"WHAMMY" Pass DIY headphone amp guide

Angelo Bruschini - The whammy can drive any headphone load aside from an electrostatic. You are not lacking for drive. What is the issue? Not loud enough?
6L6

Hi 6L6, No the volume is fine it's just that when I check other headphones (Typicaly 600+ohms) that there is more top end, My main headphones are OLLO pro X (32ohm) and are perfectly flat response, when tested on the SPL H/P amp it does have more top, so I was wondering if there is anything in this or get over it!! The OP amp is the Burson V6 Vivid not known for being without top, Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi 6L6, So the specs are 18V input Trans, Dale resisters, Mosfets as the drawings 2SK2013, 20K Blue Vol, Nichicon throughout (and the little green ones!), Clarity Cap input cap. V6 Vivid Op amp, LED type PSU, I stuck very much to standard but just bought the best components I could get.. So very very interested in your thoughts. Thank you.
Angelo B

Edit, The mosfets and components came from Digi key/mouser so all legit.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
try another OP, you'll know more

that's basics of scientific/methodic approach ... try anything logical, which would result in some conclusions and collecting data, instead of just contemplating about possible reasons/scenarios

when there is not enough facts, amassing data is useful approach or first step

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Your Whammy sounds like a very nice construction!

If you want to change the sound to suit, try different opamps until you find one that makes you very happy. :)

I have tried whammy with many different headphones, all are driven with ease, I suspect what you are experiencing is the different voicing of your headphones instead of a difference in how whammy drives them. Whammy is so clear and effortless that previously unheard differences may be revealed now.

Still, try different opamps. :yes:

Joined 2005
Paid Member
1213201742_HDR.jpg

After about 10 years away from DIY projects, I am back at it. Here is the Whammy I just finished. The case is one I bought years ago on EBay and worked great.

Now to rolling OpAmps.

View attachment 901806

After about 10 years away from DIY projects, I am back at it. Here is the Whammy I just finished. The case is one I bought years ago on EBay and worked great.

Now to rolling OpAmps.

looks like the same chassis i got. 1907 chassis? i would turn around the back panel if i were you. Then you dont need to cross the signal and high voltage wires :)

Attachments

• IMG_20181124_194756.jpg
    IMG_20181124_194756.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 340