Wayne's BA 2018 linestage

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just soldered in the teeny J fets on the new store board. Much easier this time.
I smeared just a coating of solder on to the single pad side, held Jfet in place with 6l6 scotch tape method. Worked perfect!

Once in place, heat on the single tab on solder coated tab sticking it in place. Over to other side and solder down the two remaining tabs. Then a touch on the initial tab.

The new solder was perfect for this, melted fast and flowed easily making this chore much easier.

One of the Q4 feet looks like I better take a second look, solder melted super easy and just flowed over the pad and tab. Sometimes I notice soldering looking worse in pics...

Russellc

Attachments

• IMG_4804[1].JPG
    IMG_4804[1].JPG
    840.6 KB · Views: 832
Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
When will the store have Wayne's Pre Amp kits again??

Thanks

Parts kits are in stock, PCBs went out of stock 7 days ago. Following up on this, I can see PCBs have been sitting with our 3PL for several weeks but they seem to have forgotten about the work order lodged to turn them into shippable products. I've just sent them a gentle reminder, which should mean they will be back in stock in a "couple" of days.

I need some help troubleshooting my build. I'm using the board from the store and powering it using a ultraBIB psu set at +/- 20 vdc @ 200 mA. When I power up the LEDs do not light and Q8 and Q20 get very hot.

I installed the leds so that the cathode(short leg) was towards the flat side on the silkscreen.

It is configured as a line stage using the digikey BOM in this thread (KSC1845, KSA992, 2SK209BL) I have double checked all the transistors to make sure the correct ones are in the right spots, they are.

I double checked all of the resistors and they are the correct values shown on the silkscreen with the exception of R6 and R36 which read 894R and 929R respectively instead of 1.5K, but since they are in parallel with P1 that should be OK.

I have cleaned the board and checked it for shorts and cold joints under magnification and found nothing.

I have attached pics of my build so that hopefully someone can see what I'm missing and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Paul

Maybe LED still end up being reversed.

What are the voltages across R11 and R12 and the junction of the two referenced to ground? Any Dc across R19?

Hi Wayne,

The voltages across R11 is 4.9v.
The voltage across R12 is 4.9v
The voltage from the junction of R11/R12 to the is 8.9v.
No DC across R19

Q8 got very hot during testing and may have given up the ghost,. Now Q10 is getting very hot. I'm starting to wonder if I got some bad devices from digikey.

Paul

Got my boards back from the fab house and they look spot on! Slides nice a neat into the Hammond enclosure with plenty of room for the Linestage PCB. This is my spare one. I already have a Linestage built and ready to go. Just need to build this power supply and make sure everything checks out. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200717_172100.jpg
    IMG_20200717_172100.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_20200717_172413-1.jpg
    IMG_20200717_172413-1.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 659
  • IMG_20200717_172623-1.jpg
    IMG_20200717_172623-1.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 651