VSSA Through-Hole-PCB build thread

No, that's a Mr Evil/PMI Cap multiplier. I'm actually going to use my DX regulator for my SKA GB150 because it has +/-50V rails.

I have had this amp playing all day today. I just can't get over how good these sound. Clear, rich, great sound stage, just beautiful.

Wow, Terry. Looks good! Can you describe your grounding scheme? Do I see a ground loop break? Also it appears you may have resistors connected to inputs. Is that correct? Thanks for sharing your photos.

Wow, Terry. Looks good! Can you describe your grounding scheme? Do I see a ground loop break? Also it appears you may have resistors connected to inputs. Is that correct? Thanks for sharing your photos.

I'll probably get criticized for this but I used the ground points on the cap multiplier as my star ground. There are no resistors on the inputs. If you look at the pic of the inside rear panel you will see that I have the screens of each input lead connected to a bolt in the back plate. I also attached the 10R/diode combination from one of the speaker grounds to that bolt. The amp is very quiet.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Regarding input transistors, what do you fellows think about 2sc1775/2sa872 ? They are 90V devices (120V for A suffix) and hFE can be as high as 1200. I know the layout is ECB compared to BCE for BC546 but that should not be much of a problem.

Cheers!
All my"VSSA" amps have 2sa970/2sc2240 which are similar. In fact I have no version yet with the BC5xx transistors....

It should work fine.

Fab

I have had this amp playing all day today. I just can't get over how good these sound. Clear, rich, great sound stage, just beautiful.

A single word to describe VSSA (and similar topology CF amps) is musicality. You can listen music for hours and still want some more.

Now you can listen from Jesse Colin Young and Bread to Grand Funk and Rare Earth without fatigue. :D

Hallo Peter
Hope you can also satisfied me and i will be lucky user from your through, fett Fingers,
Hole VSSA Amps.
I also want use the Multiplier PSU.
Each 2 of Boards please. Also a Set JFet and KSA1381,KSC3503 Driver the Rest i will find by Grabbelbox- myself.
Payment via PayPal is possible.
Thanks

The BD139 / BD140 was the original choice of Shaan in the PeeCeeBee thread, and very worthy of keeping it in mind. The other transistors being used are either to try and maximize performance (like the obsolete KSA1381E / KSC3503E) or for greater availability and utility (like current production KSA1220AY / KSC2690AY). I went for availability and utility.