Very simple quasi complimentary MOSFET amplifier

Hi Hugh,

I will buy some KSC1845 ( only 6.80 € for 100 at MOUSER ) therefor I will not need to twist the legs in the future :)

I have replaced the two red led with 2N4148 as you suggested and I have been able to trim the offset down to few mV :cool:

Now the Quasi is playing since one hour on a cheap loudspeaker without box. i fixed the bias at 50 mV = 150 mA and the heatsink is only a little warm at 44°C. Before to connect it on better equipment, I will build a small protection module for which I have received the PCB yesterday (see picture).
I cannot comment yet in detail about the sound because I did not use a preamplifier and with the input directly connected to a CD player, the output power is not very high, even if I have increased the power supply to +/- 41 VDC, but it look very promising...

Best regards,
Marc

Attachments

• PCB Power and Protection.png
    PCB Power and Protection.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 642
  • Schema Power and Protection.pdf
    109.8 KB · Views: 162
Hi chat72, Hi avtech23,

Yes, I can publish the Gerber files, but I prefer to finish the test and give a correct description of the part used before to make it public to let the user's to build it without the small modifications I had to make :confused:

This was a project made by Ranchu, Hugh and many other participate, Prasi send me his file to save design time in making the PCB and even improved it, it is really a job of several people :D

As you understand I prefered to make a PCB which will fit in an existing box than to make a box around a PCB because I am not very good in mechanic :scared:

Best regards,
Marc

Yes, it play music non stop since this morning but the level is not very strong with the amplifier connected to the output of a CD player (about 2 V in general). When I use a tube amplifier like the EL34 Baby Huey, I need to add a pot to reduce the volume to a listenable level and it is a only 35 to 40 W amplifier ?

Is there a way to have more amplification or did I chose a wrong value in one of the resistors ? What is the normal input level and the maximum level 5V, 10V ? May be I will use it with a tube preamplifier like the one I have designed recently, see picture.

Beside this point the quality look very good but I cannot comment too much because I have only one channel connected to a "naked" loudspeaker, until I have finished my protection module...

Best regards, :cheers:
Marc

Attachments

• Preampli avec blindage gros plan.JPG
    Preampli avec blindage gros plan.JPG
    424.8 KB · Views: 569
Hello Hugh,

I have used the schematic from Prasi to design the PCB, but i took the value from the schematics made by DACZ in Aug 22, 2016 (REV 2).

R9 = 1.5k 2W and R8 = 68 ohm

I don't have 1.8k with more than 0.6W power, can I reduce R8 to 56 ohm ?

Marc

PS: When I check the part on the PCB I was mystified by the print on R9 : 1802 I was thinking it was the value, but it was probably the date code :scared:

Attachments

• Schema Quas from Prasi.pdf
    138.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Quasi finisched.jpg
    Quasi finisched.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 540
Marc,

With 1.5k and 68R for fb network you have a gain of (1500+68)/68= 23. This should be OK for most digital sources. There is no requirement for using a 1W resistor at 1.5k, but there are some advantages using a carbon resistor, half watt is enough. Carbon resistors alter the harmonic profile of the output, and give a little more H2, like a tube amp which usually use carbon resistors too.

If you want a bit more gain, say 32.9, you could decrease the shunt resistor from 68R down to 47R - or 56R for an intermediate gain of 27.8. No other changes to the amp if you do not change the 1k5 series fb resistor; changing this resistor will affect offset and may need different voltage references; red, or even green leds.

How is the sound?

Hugh

Hugh,

I cannot give too much comments about the sound because it is good but is not strong enough to give a real appreciation. I changed the loudspeaker for a better one and the sound is clear, no noise but only may be 1 or 2 W !

Did you think that the bad connection of the 2N5551 could have killed the 2N5401 or the 2SA1381 ?

Thanks for helping a tube guy :)
Marc

Thanks,

I have found it and the voltages look OK, a little higher than indicated but since I am working with 40 VDC power supply instead of 32 VDC I think it is normal...

What I am thinking now is that Q3 could have been destroyed by the wrong connection of Q2 ? Unfortunately while I was connecting a scope to see the the signal at each stage, I have made a short circuit and R20 became so hot that the solder on the pin melt and I burn my finger :cuss:

Now nothing work and I think I may have destroyed the output transistors as well :stop:

Lesson learned, I will add my small protection module with fuses before to continue the test :(

If I cannot go ahead, I will wait to receive the KSA1845 Wednesday or Thursday and build the second channel to see if it work flawlessly ?

Cheers,
Marc

Attachments

• Protection module.jpg
    Protection module.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 551
Hi Jan,

No, I didn't test it yet, but after your question, I have seen that I posted an obsolete schema and layout, I have added the AC voltage input to include the power on delay and to power it from AC instead of the +42 VDC of the Quasi, here is the final version of the protection module :)

Prasi made also a PCB that can be fixed directly on the panel mount speaker binding post ( My MOSFET amplifier designed for music. ) see post 744.

This is a very classical schema, I didn't invent it, in fact I use it since about 10 years in the MyRef LM3886 excellent amplifier designed By Mauro Penesa, and it has always worked very well therefor there should be no problem :)

The voltage can be adapted with R3 and you need 24 VDC for the relay !

Rgds,
Marc

Attachments

• Protection module by Prasi.png
    Protection module by Prasi.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 523
  • PCB Power and Protection.png
    PCB Power and Protection.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 509
  • Schema Power and Protection.pdf
    114.9 KB · Views: 142