• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Versatile and comfortable passive pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gentlemen, I feel happy and respect your requests (see attached image).
But: is there anyone (Wineds?) and complies to my requests as well: "double-check" the BoM, cut the extension PCB and match the SILONEX LDRs?

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

Ok Rudi you want me to match the ldrs? I have done it before when I built a lightspeed. I think I bought about twenty and only got a few good matched sets. I am on the other side of the world to you in case that matters?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
1. The µProcessor communicates with the IR-detector using the RC5 protocol (developed by Philips end of the 1980th.)
It does not understand RC5+, nor does it understand RC6 or any proprietary protocol.
So do not expect the VCpre to understand the protocol that your brand-new Panasonic (or any other brand) handheld transmits to it.
I use an old Philips television handheld (RC437HQN) and it works beautifully.

An Apple remote is one of the best and a good candidate for a nice preamp....it is also quite "preiswert".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Remote

BTW it seems the VCPre is getting better and better by the time (at least on paper). Still worried about the close distance between the transformer and the relays/inputs. Will see if it works out. i will be building one.
You could have used SMD 0805 resistors/diodes/caps around the PIC and save board space. Then the transformer could go to the lower side of the PCB (a tad to the right) and the 230 V connector could be left of the transformer.

Regarding the transformer: we used a small and silent Tamura type that has 2 x 8 V secondaries and 2 x 115 V primaries which makes it easy for US guys. The outer pins are 115 V on the US version and the EU people can use a small bridge wire and use the 2 x 115 V version. Please see this impression of the PSU PCB:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...-wm8804-spdif-power-supply-pcb-group-buy.html

You probably get an idea why designing my PCBs takes months.....Well it is a virtue to know your own shortcomings ;)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Regardless of loving or hating Apple, their remote is really a piece of work. Feels good and functions just like it should. Way better than all those plastic universal stuff.

Did you also get my point of the 115 V versus 230 V transformer ? That is if you want to make the PCB available for US citizens. They don't deserve it for PRISM but hey let's be flexible :D The NSA already know of this project anyway and they're decrypting the BOM and schematics right now...

Rudi, do you really think I will be using an external transformer ? I just love the VCPre's one board approach. I happen to have sheets of mumetal that will solve any "not yet existing" problem with 50 Hz hum. And I can use a small toroid transformer and drill a hole just right of the 230 V tracks with an insulation washer in it for M4 screws:

http://nl.farnell.com/multicomp/mcfm32-07/transformer-mini-3-2va-2-x-7v/dp/9531386

Please move the track to pin1 of the EI38 transformer just a millimeter to the left ;) You see for 10 Euro you can not go wrong with these small toroids. I use them a lot and they're silent and have a virtually non existent stray field compared to EI transformers. In fact it is a worthwhile upgrade and solves the 115 V /230 V dilemma.

Last edited:
I myself am using the ones shown on the image attached. Both of them "talk RC5".

BillyK has agreed to check my BoM. Thank you very much,Billy.:)

Concerning the additional PCB (HomeTheatre Bypass, SoftPowerOn and DIL-to-SIL Adapter):I have asked the etching company,
if they support perforated PCBs or if they will do 3 additional cuts.
I have not yet received an answer.

Attachments

• Handheld.jpg
    Handheld.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 376
Jean-Paul, I assume that your torroid will hardly fit! Shown is a circle with a diameter of 42 mm.
I have done a more flexible layout for the transformer, in case somebody uses a 2x115 VAC primary and/or 2 x ? VAC secondary transformer.

Voxxonline: the transformer is the highest part; its height is 41 mm.

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    188.9 KB · Views: 360
  • Image3.png
    Image3.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 351
Gentlemen: find attached an image of my VCPre - prototype, playing / attenuating a CDP's track with a 1KHz sine wave on it.

The attenuated sine wave looks perfectly on the oscilloscope! Despite the vicinity of the RCA-connectors, relay, ... to the transformer.
So please don't argue anymore.

Attachments

• Sinus 012.jpg
    Sinus 012.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 351
Bill, I have prepared a small EXCEL and will collect the names of all participants into it.

I will keep the group-buy open for about 2 weeks.
Then I will order the PCBs and parts.
I know from experience that the delivery of the PCBs will take about 3 weeks.
So the question to your answer is: you will have the parts by end of July.

Attachments

• Image3.png
    Image3.png
    4 KB · Views: 329
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.