Valve DAC from Linear Audio volume 13

Loving my ValveDac which is still sitting on the breadboard. Have backordered two LX75 FPGA from Mouser which may or may not be actually delivered in October after which I will build a couple more ValveDacs so that I can trial a few different things.

Sonny, do you think the i2s problem is on your ValveDac pcb or with implementation of the WaveIO? I have used the I2sOverUSB3 (?) which thankfully worked more or less straight away and only listen to music via USB at the moment. Will need to get HDMI and other inputs installed and operational at some stage.

agent.5 which parts are you unable to source? The FPGA is difficult obviously, but are there any others? I just looked at my Mouser BOM and it is just some smd resistors that would need to be swapped out.

agent.5 which parts are you unable to source? The FPGA is difficult obviously, but are there any others? I just looked at my Mouser BOM and it is just some smd resistors that would need to be swapped out.

Thanks for your help. I need to double check. I recalled it was some capacitors and others. But, it was a couple months ago and I just placed the project on hold.

One more aboard

Maybe a little late, but hopefully still in time, I became aware of this outstanding DAC project. Thank you Marcel.

It turned out not to be easy to fit all the pieces together while many suppliers are experiencing shortages and long delays in their supply chain. It ended up being a mix of 8 suppliers. But now, almost everything is here, except for the valves that I just ordered yesterday, the PCB boards I haven’t ordered yet, and the LX75 that is expected still in september.

I decided for the original version: PCM as published. Once it is working, possible improvements on the power supply, like DC filament, T-Reg or Salas on HV may follow.

But, step by step, as this here is far more complex than removing the opamps from the CD Player, putting in R’s for I/V, SUT & followed by a simple tube out stage.

For the PCB boards I’am reaching out to ask if someone here has a board of the “original version”, he could live without and sell it to me. Else, I will have to order at Eurocircuits proto service.

Thanks, Alex

Vandalex, I have some spare pcb's of the original ValveDac and I believe that there is leadbelly in Canada with spare original pcb's (he has a groupbuy thread). Neither of us in your part of the world unfortunately, but there is always the postal service to get them to you.

Cheers,

Anthony

Did you also buy your own JTAG programming cable?

You could also send the modules to me, let me program them and send them back, but I doubt if that is any cheaper with all the shipping and customs costs. It is certainly less convenient if you should ever want to update the configuration files.

By the way, don't forget to short the R102 pads on the module, see their user manual.

Me too. A while back Mouser said they had one coming in September and two in October. Someone else got the September one but it seems as though the Octobers have come early.

I feel a bit guilty hogging all the stock especially with one that will just sit in the cupboard (never hurts to have a spare) but if someone really wants to build one of these ValveDacs I probably could be encouraged to onsell one LX75 for what it cost me.

Vandalex, I have some spare pcb's of the original ValveDac and I believe that there is leadbelly in Canada with spare original pcb's (he has a groupbuy thread). Neither of us in your part of the world unfortunately, but there is always the postal service to get them to you.

Cheers,

Anthony

Hello Anthony,

Thank you very much, that is very kind of you. As customs here in Austria changed the rules in july (you having to pay VAT for EVERY package coming from outside EU independant of amount and charging a fine of 28 EUR if there is any mistake) I'm glad Tix88 offered me his boards out of Italy. Hopefully the DAC sounds as good as expected, then some friends here might also build one and I gladfully would come back to your offer.

As for the LX75, Mouser informed it also shipped mine! Expected to arrive here september 15th... As i was the "someone else" who picked the one available september slot :) it seems it might come on time. When I wrote my message a couple of days ago, I saw 10 available at Trentz for immediate dispatch, but only for a very, very short time. When I re-checked later, it was down to 0 again and next ones april 29th - 2022, as before ...
So chances are, they might sporadically pop up whenever they receive some...

As the tubes also arrived, basically everything is here. To get started i will begin to wind the ferrite chokes. That should keep me busy until the board arrives...

Will do that tomorrow, now it is to late, time for a :drink: , :cheers:

All the best, Alex

You could also send the modules to me, let me program them and send them back, but I doubt if that is any cheaper with all the shipping and customs costs. It is certainly less convenient if you should ever want to update the configuration files.

Hi Marcel,

If possible I would like to take your offer after having received my LX45 module from Trenz hopefully next month.
This will save me from going through the Xilinx learning curve of how to program a FGPA.

Hans

rfbrw, I'm not aware of any way to program TE0630 modules over USB without a JTAG interface; at least the last time I read the TE0630 user manual, there was an appendix about how to program it via JTAG, but nothing about programming it via USB.

Then again, you are usually more up to speed with these things than I am. It would be great if there were a way now to program them without a JTAG interface.