Vacuum cleaners

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had to laugh when I stumbled across this, last thing I ever expected to see here, and yeah I work for one of the companies mentioned in this thread....

It's an extremely challenging business with insanely short development cycles, and a lot more technology and innovation than you might suspect.

Late prototypes and engineering builds often come home with me to the sometimes considerable ire of my wife.. LOL

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Dyson is the Apple of vacuum cleaners. One likes it at first (because of the excellent marketing :D) but it wears off quickly especially with people that have technical knowledge. Many design flaws and a short life span. Considering the premium price one would expect that they are durable but they simply aren't.

The bagless concept is of no real value. It looks dirty (why is it completely transparent?) and emptying it is a messy job compared to throwing away a bag. Same counts for the hair driers and fans. What is the use of making it look like there is no fan while it uses one secretly? Just creating hype and sales numbers. The only people that really like Dyson vacuum cleaners seem to be the ones that had an even worse brand before :)

BTW Apple does make good products that are durable. No comparison there. Dyson has found a very good way to lure clueless consumers with products that look good and work OK at first (but not for a very long time). I just halt when I read "digital motor" :)

I am surprised nobody mentions Miele and Nilfisk. Even my GM80 is way better than a Dyson and it uses less power too. Looks old fashioned since it the day it was invented but it can even be used to vacuum asbestos.

Miele also produce excellent vacuum cleaners that are very very sturdy. Too bad they had to change their designs because of EU directives regarding power. The new ones just aren't as powerful as the pre 2017 models.

Attachments

• iu.jpeg
    iu.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I have had the old cleaner of my parents, then a modern plastic Nilfisk, then an old secondhand metal Nilfisk GM80 and now the Henry from Numark.
Build quality the GM80 is perfect BUT when drilling holes into walls you should never use a vacuum cleaner. Now i just attach a small paper bag with some tape to the wall.
When i saw the cleaning company at work using the Henry i asked them if they like it and the say they love it so i bought one. greatings, eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I have had the old cleaner of my parents, then a modern plastic Nilfisk, then an old secondhand metal Nilfisk GM80 and now the Henry from Numark.
Build quality the GM80 is perfect BUT when drilling holes into walls you should never use a vacuum cleaner. Now i just attach a small paper bag with some tape to the wall.
When i saw the cleaning company at work using the Henry i asked them if they like it and the say they love it so i bought one. greatings, eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,

True regarding the concrete dust with any normal vacuum cleaner except GM80. With the right accessories you can use it on chemical debris, asbestos etc. It does not have a sexy look (has been around in some forms since the fifties) but it is king of vacuum cleaners with regards to build quality, suction and power consumption. Only drawback I notice is that the wheels are too small. No Dyson I know comes close to this one.

Strange thing is people spend not enough on a good vacuum cleaner but then buy a very expensive Dyson. How come? Status symbol?

I know the Henry but can't think otherwise than that it was meant for kids. A vacuum cleaner with a face, how Disney :D That they also have male and female models is slightly pathetic. So political correct that I can't take it. In my eyes gender neutral means that there should only be one model without a male/female face :) From what I hear people are satisfied with them.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yes they are supposedly good but the face is IMO childish. It is just an opinion. No word on quality from me as I have not had one for a longer period of time. I know they are good but the face will not enter my house. Ah well, I am curious enough to try one out one day.

Sales numbers don't say a thing in that regard but is often seen as a kind of quality assurance. It isn't. What everybody buys is certainly not a quality indicator. Dyson is sold in large numbers for extreme prices and they suck (not like they were meant to do). Expensive so it must be good .... is general consumer thinking. I would feel like a sucker if I would have bought one :)

Last edited:
...... there’s a bit of a joke here in the UK that if you go down to the recycling tip, you’re likely to see a few Dysons.
A couple of moths ago we had verge local council bulk rubbish collection/bargain hunt.
A close neighbor put out a Dyson V6 complete, an hour later I had it working.
Best machine ever I reckon, so easy and so handy, the rotary brush does great job on carpets and floors, the battery runs for 20mins or so which is plenty for my usage.
I inquired and the currently available V8 version is available locally on special for an eye watering $599.00. :eek:.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Since an unsatisfied neighbour threw the multi-$ best ever machine away... What was the defect?

I mean, considering the price one would try to fix it I would think?! Could have one too recently from someone that suddenly did not like it anymore but could not accurately describe why he hated it. Curious.

Last edited:
I remember my mother beating the carpets in the days before we could afford a vacuum cleaner.

We originally lived in a prefab (prefabricated house) built to address the UK's post–2nd World War housing shortage.

Carpets or area rugs were laid direcly on wooden floors or on the linoleum which was introduced in the 1950s. Fitted carpets lay in the realms of the exceptionally well-to-do!

A carpet would be taken outside and hung over the washing line where my mother would set about it with a carpet beater, no doubt pretending it was my father! :)

Attachments

• Carpet Beating.jpg
    Carpet Beating.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 132