Vacuum cleaners

Attachments

• Apple iVac.jpg
    Apple iVac.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 122

Signed: a happy and trouble free mac owner for over 25 years. Not to mention iPad, iPod and soon to be iPhone owner.

Ditto!!!

I have four spares as well as this Retina iMac 27".

However the original iMac was a total disgrace...the Dyson like transparent cowel makes the damn thing seem dirtier than a well used Dyson! Especially so as I was as heavy smoker back in those days.

The Mrs has an iPad, but we do not get locked in to the "Apple Package"...nor will I have anything to do with the "Cloud"!

(We don't have any Dyson stuff, but we do have two Mielie 'dogs'...one new type ...upstairs, the other old high power...downstairs. Never any problems. Ditto a 1960s heavy commercial grade Hoover...but that has not been used for many years.

One thing you could do with an old Electrolux cylinder cleaner that has not been mentioned yet -
Open the suction release vent in the hose to reduce the suction and vacuum the cat.
My mum's old cat used to love it - when the vacuum was running it would be rubbing against yer legs for personal attention with the non-bristle upholstery head.

With an upright cleaner, when using the hose, how do you avoid the vac' banging into your heels as the hose contracts due to the suction? Old hoses were fixed length, not contracting.

I have four spares as well as this Retina iMac 27".
Same here. It's all we use in the office.
However the original iMac was a total disgrace...
I don't know about that. When I upgraded from the Mac IIcx to the original imac, boy that was something. Lightning fast ;)
nor will I have anything to do with the "Cloud"!
Nor I. We have our own server at the office. I also bring a back-up home once a month and use time machine with external drives.
Anyway, this is about vacuums so back to our regularly scheduled programs.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
hehe, I said that because jean-paul had compared Dyson with Apple, both of which I am happy to be an owner of.

Hi, I only meant they do marketing as well as Apple. Whilst Apple delivers up to the promise Dyson on the contrary doesn't live up to the expectations/price.

I am no native english speaker so I was probably not clear enough.

Satisfied Mac user myself since 2004. Let's not talk about Catalina, worst MacOS version till now. You will notice datacorruption with Photo's etc. I hope they will fix it but it already is like this for months. Joined the beta program and 6 versions later even in 10.15.1 data gets corrupted very often.

My Dyson V6 has been absolute dog toss. Yes it's nice and light, unfortunately that's the best thing that can be said about it. The plastic is nasty and tends to bind a bit making it really fiddly to get the dust box off to empty it, it also tends to spew quite a lot of dust out when being emptied. The filter gets clogged very easily and although it can be washed it takes forever to dry, preventing any more vacuuming until it has done so. And while the wall mounted charger is a good idea, the battery deteriorates quickly and after around a year it fails to hold much of a charge at all.

I was like you, I thought it was the bee's knees at first. But I've since gone back to the trusty old Henry that the Dyson was supposed to replace - it had spent a while as my "shop vac" but has now been restored to main hoover duties. It never goes wrong, maintenance is trivial, the filter and dust bag are quick and easy and mess-free to change.

I hope you have more luck with yours than I had with mine, but I fear you may be in for disappointment over time. I'd never buy a Dyson again.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
That's the thing. My folks had a Hoover with the bag that filled out when you ran it. They got it in the 50's after they got married so goodness knows how old it was. They finally ditched it IIRC in the 1980's. These things worked for decades.

There's no way a Dyson lasts more than 10 years - mine lasted typically 5 years with bits replaced - like catches or the dust canister for example.

OK - they are light but I'm afraid they fall apartt. A case of all style and no 'effing substance.

However, I feel no loyalty to them - they packed up shop and moved everything to Asia - HQ included. Good riddance.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If I were to purchase another portable vacuum, I'd probably just resort to using a shop vac. .
Shop-Vac? Oh yeah, I love mine. It sucks. It is also sonically engineered to drown out any other power tool I own. Sander, jig saw, circular saw, table saw, router? No worries, just turn on the Shop-Vac and it's the only thing you'll hear. :eek: That's OK, the filter clogs up fast enough that you get the fun of cleaning or replacing it often. Or you can buy the expensive bags.

Par contre... In the house we have a little plastic Bissell pull along that is amazingly quiet, light and sucks great. I don't really understand how they've made it so quiet. Or maybe I'm just shell-shocked from the Shop-Vac.

Suppose our Kärcher professional (T10) would count as a 'shop vac'.

We were going to get a Henry because everything else just fell apart but this one is holding up well, it was cheaper at the time and a bit more powerful.

It is quite quiet (59dB(A)), unlike their domestic offerings it is grey rather than bright yellow and I just noticed that in the 4 years we've had it it has doubled in price while the motor went from 1200W down to 800!