Vacuum cleaners

Attachments

• Two Doors Down.jpg
    Two Doors Down.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 194
The Dyson is the dogs Bo@@@cks. I bought the V8 Animal two tears ago as I have an Afghan Hound and it is so easy to use on my daily routine. The tools are excellent at cleaning dust from repairs as well.
Yep, Dyson is the best.
For my sins I was a repair agent for Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sanyo, Grundig and many more before I retired and used to oversea the repairs on vacuum cleaners as well as run my Electronics Workshop covering most of the UK for under warranty repairs.
None of the vacuum cleaners, including the Gtech are a patch on the Dyson but ... the price reflects it.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Bought a Vorwerk Tiger 251 with motor driven brush in 1983. Its not fancy, no lights, no beeps, no ball blow jobs. It has some minor handling and design flaws that I can live with. Compared to all of the Miele, AEG, Dirt devil and whatnot vacs my sisters bought in these 36 years its still a winner. It cleans better and is more durable. It survived 3 cats in these years. For me, a motor driven brush is the only solution for pet hair. Also a Vac with hose and some additional tools is nice to clean equipment.

Tiger.jpg

For me the best vacuum cleaner is a wet type. Dust and smell gets trapped in the bin, out comes clean air. Ours (a Zelmer) is convertible for dry or wet, and has 3 filters: a carbon, a HEPA and another. It is shocking what goes to the drain after a wet cleaning. Most dust seems to come from cotton dresses.
BTW, how do you fight against dust that settles on the TV and monitor screens, and on the dust cover of the turntable, is there any proven antistatic treatment? As a vinyl listener, those floating dust particles are a real nuisance for me.

BTW, how do you fight against dust that settles on the TV and monitor screens, and on the dust cover of the turntable, is there any proven antistatic treatment? As a vinyl listener, those floating dust particles are a real nuisance for me.
A humidifier can reduce static to some degree, and a Zerostat can be used to help clear it before removing it. But only to a degree.

I had an early mains-powered Dyson because of the no bag thing but after a few short months it started to creak and slowly fall apart.
So now I have two reasons not to buy one again: One is lack of build quality, the other political.
We now have a Kärcher Professional. Very much like a Henry on steroids and it takes about 6 months to fill the huge bag.

The best vacuums I've ever used (but never owned) were Vorwerk and Kirby.
Strangely both are only available new from door-to-door salespeople but their suction is massively better than anything else I've tried. The Kirby had amongst many other a belt sander attachment!

I had an early mains-powered Dyson because of the no bag thing but after a few short months it started to creak and slowly fall apart.
So now I have two reasons not to buy one again: One is lack of build quality, the other political.
We now have a Kärcher Professional. Very much like a Henry on steroids and it takes about 6 months to fill the huge bag.

The best vacuums I've ever used (but never owned) were Vorwerk and Kirby.
Strangely both are only available new from door-to-door salespeople but their suction is massively better than anything else I've tried. The Kirby had amongst many other a belt sander attachment!

We had a Kirby for years... but wife couldn't push it across the carpet due to the suction. It was heavy and powerful... finally met its match when I was sucking up construction debris (nails, concrete chips, who knows what else kinda eroded the blades).

We have a Panasonic canister from 40 years ago still going strong... don't make them that way anymore. Current downstairs main vac is a Miele which is hard to beat w/o going commercial (they make them as well)

Account Closed
Joined 2018
One of the "not too well known" vacuums is the Compact Revelation by Interstate Engineering.
My mother bought one from a door-to-door salesman back in 1955, and we had it for decades.
The aerodynamic design promoted maximum airflow through the machine, resulting in great suction power.
Tristar eventually bought the rights and added a power brush nozzle but kept the same basic design.
These were not cheap machines, and the housings were cast aluminum alloy - sturdy as hell.
If you're lucky enough to find one today, they're amazing vacuums.

Attachments

• Compact design history.JPG
    Compact design history.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 134
I had a Rainbow for about 10 years. The former wife wanted it, then claimed it hurt her back to use it so I did the cleaning. The sweeper motor died so it was replaced with a Kenmore which she took when we split.

I now have a cheap Bissell Helix that seems to do a superior job to either of the former two. The only downside is I have to dump the bin twice while cleaning the house as it fills up so quickly. Lots of cat fur.