Vacuum cleaners

One of the "not too well known" vacuums is
Speaking of not too well known, hasn't anyone mentioned Orek vacuum cleaner? It's a US based company and their vacs are known for light weight and strong suction. I almost bought one except for the same noise level as most vacs on the market.
I wish there was the opportunity for you guys to do what I did. Vacuum with a fine working upright and then try the new Dyson and see how much more it picked up. It's fine to say yours works well but how are you to judge? My carpets looked fine with the dirt devil... until I used the Dyson.
That's what vacuum salesman does. :nod:

I wish there was the opportunity for you guys to do what I did. Vacuum with a fine working upright and then try the new Dyson and see how much more it picked up. It's fine to say yours works well but how are you to judge? My carpets looked fine with the dirt devil... until I used the Dyson.

As I said there are reasons I will never buy a Dyson product which have nothing to with how much or how well his vacuums suck.

Were they level matched? :D
Good one. Speaking of levels, the new one does that for you.
You'll note I became one in my original post. :)
As I said there are reasons I will never buy a Dyson product which have nothing to with how much or how well his vacuums suck.
And I appreciate and respect that. I have similar sentiments for certain corporations as well.

Last edited:
When vacuuming, you may be 'Dyson' with death! :eek:

Vacuum cleaners have the capability to disseminate appreciable quantities of molds and human-associated bacteria indoors, thus exposing the house occupants to potentially dangerous bioaerosols.

Australian researchers tested 21 vacuum cleaners from 11 manufacturers, including two commercial models. The vacuums were six months to 22 years old, and ranged from less than $100 to almost $800. Brands included Dyson, Electrolux, Hoover, iRobot, and Sanyo.

All released some bacteria, dust, and allergens back into the air. Newer and more expensive vacuum cleaners generally caused less indoor air pollution than older, cheaper models, the study showed.

Vacuums with high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters released only slightly lower levels of dust and bacteria than vacuums that did not use these special filters. HEPA filters are supposed to remove 99.9% of the pollen, animal dander, and even bacteria from the air.
Are Vacuum Cleaners Bad for Your Health?

Look at this van full of Dyson vacuum cleaners. These ones will be recycled, but untold thousands more will not be.

Attachments

• Dyson Recycling.jpg
    Dyson Recycling.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 135
Joined 2015
Paid Member
At home I bought a Dyson V7 two years ago. Works very well and noise is lower than my previous vacuum cleaner. It is disappointingly not service friendly. At this level of price I was expecting at least tooless removal of the battery, and maybe some easy way to replace the motor. This proprietary spare part is disproportionately expensive, by the way. I easily predict that this vacuum cleaner will not survive 12 years as the cheeaper one it replaced. I really need the cordless operation and the small size, otherwise I probably would have done like wiseoldtech and got a vintage premium vacuum. Some of them are better than the vast majority of today corded models. But they cost an arm and leg back then.

If fine particle emission is a issue, a very good choice is the the 3M / SCS model 497 (497AJM is the 120VAC version, 497ABF is 220/230VAC), when equipped with the filter cartridge SV-SPF1. This is the gold standard for any on-site laser copy machine / laser printer repair service. Even when removing large chunks of toner, there is no "burning plastic" smell on the air vent, and the filter cartridge is large enough to be effective for a long time. Suction is powerful, and motor noise too.

Yeah - they could do a few simple things for "Serviceability".

For instance:
We have the "Tangle-Free Turbine Tool" (counter-rotating brushes). The brushes are sort of like two tooth-brushes sticking out from a rubber oval disc. They fasten-in with a single screw each and would be EASY to replace - even for "mechanically-challenged" people.

However, Dyson does not sell Replacement Brushes - you have to toss and buy the whole attachment tool....

Speaking of not too well known, hasn't anyone mentioned Orek vacuum cleaner? It's a US based company and their vacs are known for light weight and strong suction. I almost bought one except for the same noise level as most vacs on the market.

We have an Oreck Magnesium.

Pros: Very light, low effort to push around. Easier than the 'self propelled' Hoover my wife had before that.

Low profile, gets under stuff easily.

Suction seems good.

Cons: Yes, it's pretty loud. I wear my Etymotic IEM's when I use it (rated 40 dB noise reduction).

No accessories can be used, it takes a whole second machine to get a wand, crevice tool, etc. It came bundled with a mini-vac and a bag of tools, but it's inconvenient to use and to store, and the strap hooks both broke so now it hangs from wire ties.

My wife doesn't check the bag (and apparently can't hear the difference when the motor starts to complain). When it overfills it backs up into the impeller and I have to disassemble the machine to clear it out. :mad:

It can choke on certain things, like (specifically and repeatedly) the little wire hooks used to hang ornaments on the Christmas tree. They lodge between the housing and impeller which then seizes up, the drive belt burns, and it takes even more disassembly to get the damned wire out and install a new belt. :redhot: I feel like I need to sweep the floor with a metal detector to find the hooks left behind when my dear spouse packs up the ornaments every year.

Double-Dog DARE you to make that statement to her.... :razz:

I've had that discussion with my DW, didn't help anything.

It's like my career as a maintenance planner (and eventually reliability engineer managing predictive maintenance) in a large factory. I'd walk into the plant and hear a bearing whining, getting ready to die. Ask an operator "do you hear that"? They would just look at me funny, or maybe say oh, yeah, so? It's hard to train folks to be sensitive to what the machinery is telling them.

I find the ability to do non-invasive inspections on costly rotating machinery fascinating (although I've never been DIRECTLY involved)

Used to work for Johnson Controls and got to know one of the Managers of our Maintenance Group who explained Vibration Analysis for Chillers to me.
(He learned his stuff on High-Pressure Marine Boilers / Power Plants at Newport News / Navy.)

BIL does fossil ops for a regional power plant - he has similar people who monitor the Generators / Turbines.

My SO ("The Un-Trainable One") keeps putting stuff down the in-sink disposer, THEN running the water and turning it on. She's a HIGHLY Intelligent woman and I love her dearly but she "just doesn't GET it..." ;-P

‘The untrainable one’ I love it!

I got no problem relaying my displeasure about my wife’s abusive nature.....that woman can destroy anything.

I came home one day and there was a bright yellow scrape / stripe down the whole side of full-size 4 door p/u. I says what did you do run a car full of clowns off the road? She says no I touched one of the yellow poles at the gas pumps.....touched huh? I bring her out to the truck and say why didn’t ya stop when you first hit it.....she goes, you always say ‘when in doubt, gas it’
What could I say to that besides.....you picked one heck of a time to start listening to me!

I could go on and on but yes we go through roller brush belts on the vac regularly and it’s a commercial grade!

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Cal: You sound like the Kirby salesman there, where they used to put a bit of filter paper in to show how much more the kirby sucked up :)

In my own experience hoovering, waiting a couple of mins and hoovering again brings up a load more dirt even with the same machine.