• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Hi Jesper, to use the Combo384 with a very low latency update the board with
cpld_1082 and firmware_2006be15r2 and the driver www.amanero.com/drivers/setupuac2.exe
To update you can use the tool www.amanero.com/update.zip
if you use ASIO there is a panel to configure the number of samples.

Thanks for your PM.

I was curious about the very low latency firmware as I don't need high DSD. Any reports how this plays out with the Audiolinux low latency realtime kernel. Is there synergy?

I confirmed with Audiolinux that the Combo384 works well with the realtime kernel, so looking forward to experimenting if I can get improvements on the backend. Since the RPi can be a bottleneck, I prefer PC as I can scale Celeron, i3, i5, i7, i9, Xeon, etc. as needed so having the Combo384 working well since 2016 with the realtime kernel works out for me. I can also use Industrial RAM which also makes major contributions.

Just hoping there are reports out in the wild how this low latency combo plays out.

Ciao

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
Thanks. I'm more confident now in the purchase.

My initial worry was if I buy off the official Amanero site if it's the correct version. I was worried I was accidentally purchasing a Combo384SE, not a Combo384 thus the confusion.

I believe the solo product on the official Amanero site is the correct one now.

Since the Combo384 has proprietary clocks, then the Combo384SE has WM8804 clocks it threw me off as I thought Combo384 had no clocks at all.

Last edited:
Does Amanero support work?

Hi guys,
Does Amanero support work? Have you contacted support@amanero.com recently?
Oddly, on the site Amanero Technologies support email address is provided. I have written a few times already but haven't received any reply since April. I also did not receive any automatic autoresoponder replies. Earlier (before April) I wrote to the support address and usually got a reply. Maybe you know something?
Thanks and regards,
bern

Hi guys,
This can be good news for owners of USB-Amanero Combo and old (multibit/R2R) Dacs who want to connect USB-Amanero to DAC directly without digital filters in Non OverSamling mode.

Domenico from Amanero has been working on improving the 'Slave_RJLR' firmware for several months. Modified firmware should enable direct connection of old generation Dacs (for example: TDA1540, TDA1541, TDA1543, PCM53, PCM56, PCM58, PCM63, PCM1702, PCM1704, AD1861, AD1865)
to USB-Amanero in slave mode (i.e. with external clocks) using Right Justified Data format. The firmware is to enable 45.xxx/49.xxx MHz clocks to be connected. The split R/L Data signal is to be implemented in CPLD. The Left Data signal is supposed to be present on Amanero's pin 3 and the Right Data signal on pin 7.
I think that many diyaudio users will be interested.

Thank you Amanero for your support and we keep our fingers crossed for the successful completion of the firmware modification.

Hi, guys,

I have problem with supply. I removed L1, gave external 5V to U2 directly by L1 pad. But my PC couldn't find device, the weird thing is Dam1021 could lock amanero.

However, removed external 5V and shorted L1, PC find device successfully and work well.

Could someone can give me a hint, please?

I had trying this way before, connected external 5V power while USB is connected or replugged USB while external 5V is connected. Both way PC couldn't find device but DAM1021 could lock signal.
Or should I try to connect external 5V but keep USB power? I'm afraid of will damage amanero board.
By the way, my external 5V is made by TPS7A4701. It's not a problem I think. I tried Salas Ultra BiB didn't work, either. That is why I'm so confused.

Thanks.

Sorry for my misunderstanding, I'm rookie in electrical engineering, and English is not my mother tongue.
Is scope a equipment can show wave for electrical characteristics? If it is, sorry I don't have equipment.
I can give some pic of my setting. I know my placement is terrible......:ashamed:

I did another try on external 3.3V, due to you said external 5V might be had glitch. I used my broken DAC but still can supply 3.3V. When I connected and plugged USB, suddenly it worked! But it got problem again after 5 sec. DAC's LED turned dark, PC could not find device, DAM1021 couldn't lock, either. Because my DAC is broken, damage part still connect with 3.3V that I don't know which part's problem...DAC? or Amanero?
Again, short L1, plug USB directly still work well.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
https://imgur.com/zRGN6g1
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
https://imgur.com/QZg2Yzb
https://imgur.com/kSEFcI0
https://imgur.com/tGEmoZN
https://imgur.com/Qbwbslm

Hard to tell much from the pictures. The ground of 5v power supply for the USB board should go to the USB board ground plane on the bottom side. The ground plane should be connected to the USB connector too, which is my understanding of how you wired it. Should work in theory.

Maybe the external 5v power and or the ground don't have good connections, so the voltage may be intermittent rather than steady.

Probably I would scrape off some solder mask from the ground plane on the bottom of the USB board, and solder the 5v power ground there.

An scope (oscilloscope) is for measuring voltage over time. They are useful for looking for intermittent connections, dac clock signals, audio signals, etc. A scope and a DVM are pretty much necessary for diy electronics troubleshooting. Without them there is a lot of guesswork, and maybe some experimentation.

Probably if you can't find the power problem (I'm guessing an intermittent connection from looking at the pics) then maybe its best to continue running from USB power for now.

Last edited:
I think your right. But might not connection problem. Because I re-solder several times. If it can, I really don't want to touch USB board. At first time I connected it, used extend USB cable and replaced the USB plug with external 5V and ground without USB power(keep USB ground). After I failed it, I removed L1 to try another connection.

Maybe is supply regulator problem. I damaged another USB board before. It was working, with the same way I connect now. Until I touched TPS7A4701 regulator, might made some pulse to USB board and damage it. Then I re-connected again, TPS7A4701 regulator made high frequency sound, but if disconnect USB board the regulator is fine.

As you said, it's difficult to find issue without scope, maybe my supply regulator have problem since I broke last USB board and I can't know it. I only have multimeter to measure it dose have 5V output. I will try another power source(like 5V/500mA USB adapter) to see which regulator has problem.

Thanks for your help. If I have something new I will update. Hope my experience can help another rookie.:D

I found the problem! Is my Salas regulator for TPS7A4701.

I connected TPS7A4701 regulator to another Salas regulator for DAM1021, USB board worked perfectly! Both of my PC and DAM1021 could find USB board! Now I need to find a regulator for TPS7A4071. I don't have equipment and knowledge to repair broken Salas regulator......

Or I can connect Salas regulator for DAM1021 directly. I checked user manual for USB board. If powered by USB 5V bus. Power Consumption is 605 mW at max speed. Is that means what if it powered by Salas regulator 10V need 302.5mA at max speed?

Because Salas regulator need to set resistor for limit current. I have to add 302.5mA for limit current right?

I have several original Amanero boards purchased from Audiophonics. They work fine.

All of them when I measure the output signal of the two crystals (22,579 and 24,576) in the oscilloscope, a slightly "bad" signal appears to me. The clock signal, depending on whether one or the other clock is used, looks just as bad.

Is this because of poor quality crystals?

Has anyone tried to change to other better crystals?

I no longer have sight or pulse to be able to remove the original crystals and make a new pcb with better crystals like AS338 or Cristek CCHD575

Any pcb simliar to amanero with native dsd with better quality?

Attachments

• 1650127424626.jpg
    1650127424626.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 1650127446392.jpg
    1650127446392.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 131