Upgrading & modding new Oppos, BDP-93 & BDP-95

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I would like to announce that I have now ready the approach for an external serial PSU for 95 model. Mainly the idea is to place the serial PSU into a nice, black anodized enclosure, the same high and depth as the player enclosure, beside the device(on its right hand side). This it will minimise the connection cable length.
The original toroid it will be placed too, into the external PSU. This movement is meant to be done by the user (dismounted from its original place, and screwed in into the desalinated place and connected its cables into the provided connectors).
The connection between the external PSU and the player is made by flat cable in a special designed approach, placed under the player`s enclosure. The user need only to solder in some wires into an provided PCB adaptor. More details it will be available at the right time.

I would like to know how much interest it may be for such optional/analogue power system for 95 model. If enough interest, then I will proceed to design and produce the system, based on my recent finalized LPM for 105/105D models.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Indeed it does look like a step down in ultimate DAC performance for stereo output on the Oppo 105 when compared to the way they implemented for the 95.

The stepdown in DAC output channels configuration for 105/105D models is caused by the Oppo idea to provide a headphone output for the new models. Not very fortunate idea, I can say...
Over this not very special idea for a headphone output for the newest player models, it come the only bead designed logic/software to control the headphone digital volume. Oppo explained that an independent volume control for headphone out it caused the DAC channels configuration as it is. Well, they did not took into account possible modifications to get a 4+4 configuration...

Coris -

Guess who has interest in your PSU design??? :-D

Cost will be a factor because shipping from your location to certain parts of the world will be costly. The biggest cost in shipping I can forsee will come from the toroidals which will be a concern of mine. However, I would be interest in costs of the new PSU for the BDP-95.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think shipping costs is not the most important part of this possible project. 50 - 60$ it may be an average for the most of the world areas. Maybe very few exceptions.
There is not about a toroid here, but a R core transformer (as for my LPM - 105/105D).

The main problem is the interest in this project. If not enough interest, then it will be difficult to find myself the motivation to start it, or to invest time, work and money into this.
Also the parts providers are not interested at all to sell small amount or one - two items...
However, there is feasible to be realized an external PSU, in a very elegant and efficient approach, with minimum user interventions to install it. In my opinion the only solution to improve the existent SMPS system for 95 models.

Coris,

Very good job with your LPM. I have interested in this upgrade. However, as dbx01, I will be waiting for the associated costs.

I am a newbie in this forum. I keep following your job for a long time. I would like to ask you if there is any mod related to the analog PWR supply, after the Oppo toroidal transformer. Is there no possible improvement in this area. My primary focus is in the audio performance.

Good job,

Marcos

QJA

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well, the costs for LPM - 105/105D models it is finalized to 350$.
For the eventual external version of this LPM, there is not finalized a cost, as the project it is in its very incipient phase. For sure, it will be higher than for "inside" LPM. There is quite expensive the enclosure, as it is necessary a redesigned the PCB, to adapt it to the chosen enclosure. There is also a different approach for connecting the external PSU to the device, witch it may contribute to an increased price.
My so far appreciation for a final price it is somewhere at a 500$ level.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Coris,

Very good job with your LPM. I have interested in this upgrade. However, as dbx01, I will be waiting for the associated costs.

I am a newbie in this forum. I keep following your job for a long time. I would like to ask you if there is any mod related to the analog PWR supply, after the Oppo toroidal transformer. Is there no possible improvement in this area. My primary focus is in the audio performance.

Good job,

Marcos

QJA

There are modifications available for the analogue (original) power stage, which it use the toroid transformer. It can be improved the main differential rails, as the power rails for DAC chip.
An analogue PSU for digital stage of the payer it have impact for both sound and picture, while the improvements for the original analogue power system it have impact mainly for sound stage.
One should see the improvements as a overall consequence of the many small modifications and improvements focused on different functional parts of the system. Some of the mods may not have a direct or immediate impact for the user of the device, but it become very obvious in addition to another ones, done on another stages of the system.
There is not that simple at one may do a simple single modification somewhere, and it will expect spectacular improvements. The spectacular overall improvement is only at the end of the whole process of the tweak session...

If I remember well, in the 95 model the stereo DAC outputs are configured 2 pairs for XLR outputs, and 2 pairs for RCA. To configure the DAC as 4+4, one should renounce/dismiss one of the outputs (preferable the RCAs), and dedicate al the pairs either to XLR, or RCA.

Hi Coris

I think your memory has failed you in this instance, no great sin. :D

Look at the photo below and you will see that the Sabre DAC on the left side of the board is the Stereo DAC and you can clearly see that both RCA and XLR are using the same I/V converters (2 x LM4562) and it splits into RCA and XLR after they share the same I/V. That means that Oppo has already done the 4+4 connections.

Cheers, Joe

oppo_bdp95_audio.jpg

Does anyone know what the Oscillator speeds are for the BDP-95?
I understand there is a 54MHz Oscillator. Are the other two 27 and 20, or 27 and 27, or other?

And for those who have changed the lower speed Oscillators on the BDP-95, which Oscillators gave the best improvement? And did it impact analogue audio, digital audio, HDMI or Component video?

Thanks.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Coming back to the power system improvements for 95 models, I think to precise here about some available alternatives.

One alternative is to use an linear PSU for the device digital stage. As explained previously, this approach is not just appropriate for the 95 model`s tight enough enclosure, but only if using it a such LPM as external add-on device.
To redesign my LPM to fit into an external add-on device it will increase its final price quite much. So, I have another solution: I intend to design a special connector/adaptor for my existent/finalized LPM, so to permit its connection (as external PSU) to a 95 model as it is. Then if the user may want to find an enclosure and place it into that, it may be the customer`s choice. This connection adaptor for 95 models it may be provided (included) together with my LPM for those who may want to use it for 95 models.

Another option/alternative to improve the power system for digital stage in 95 models is to improve its SMPS itself. I did this already for 105/105D models with good results, but after the LPM approach it was developed, such SMPS improvements was abandoned.
As I can see, the SMPS improvements it can further be actual as a very good solution (and cheaper) for 95 models digital stage.

So, just PM me for details if necessary...

Last edited:
Hi! dbx-01

There are 3 important clocks in OPPO 93/95 main board.

25 MHz : system /CPU clock
27 MHz : audio & video processing clock
20 MHz : HDMI1 ( futher video precsiing ) clcok : 20 MHZ

So thankful for the simplification they went over to in the Oppo 105.

Re Oppo 95 and the three clocks, the one that affects everything is the 25MHz System clock, so if you have to limit it to doing only one, that's the one. And then a separate one on the Sabre DAC.

I remember when it was thought that only one DAC clock was all that was needed, until this clod suggested otherwise. :D Now everybody is into multi-clocking Oppos.

Cheers, Joe

On the older Oppo 93/95, I thought the 27 MHz clock was the main clock, and the 25 MHz clock was the laser clock for the transport?

This is kinda going back and relying on memory - pretty sure of the facts though.

I do remember suggesting to Coris to add a second clock other than DAC clock, to which it was mildly questioned as to whether that would make a difference. Coris was then surprised that it did make a difference.

That it was the 25MHz clock was also confirmed from a different angle, the Oppo 93 does not have a separate clock for its Cirrus Logic DAC and yet a huge difference was noticeable when the 25MHz clock (the same Mediatek chip as used in the '95) was upgraded.

Finally, and this was done at Pymble HiFi and comparing the HDMI outputs of a standard '95 versus a '95 with upgraded 25MHz clock. I can tell you that they did blind tests on people coming in off the street and they could all hear the improvement with ease. This all points to a system clock upgrade and it is the 25MHz one.

I also seem to recall something else. We are not allowed to see the service manuals for Oppo products, but in the '93 and '95 models, the same type of Mediatek chip was also used by Philips in some of their Bluray players. I hunted down a service manual for that and while Philips service manuals can be a dog's breakfeast, and this one was, the info gleaned seem to confirm the above.

So hope that bit of history helps.

Cheers, Joe

I've begun to do some modding on my oppo 93 with good results. I replaced all the power supply electrolytic capacitors and bypassed them with vishay films. I also replaced the stereo coupling capacitors. I think the power supply capacitors made the largest impact.

My questions are: is anyone bypassing the output coupling capacitors and the muting circuits? I did this to my marantz bd8002 with great results. Can the pair of 220uf capacitors in the same circuit be bypassed or replaced with a smaller film cap? And finally, I haven't found a schematic of this circuit, can someone send me one?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've begun to do some modding on my oppo 93 with good results. I replaced all the power supply electrolytic capacitors and bypassed them with vishay films. I also replaced the stereo coupling capacitors. I think the power supply capacitors made the largest impact.

My questions are: is anyone bypassing the output coupling capacitors and the muting circuits? I did this to my marantz bd8002 with great results. Can the pair of 220uf capacitors in the same circuit be bypassed or replaced with a smaller film cap? And finally, I haven't found a schematic of this circuit, can someone send me one?

There is advisable to replace or bypass the the AC coupling caps, but not the muting relays/circuits. However is better not to touch such circuits... They are part of a power up sequence system into the device.
Before bypassing the AC cap, one should measure the DC offset present in that point. If that found DC level it may be tolerated by the following amp system, then just bypass the caps.
The AC coupling cap (on these outputs) should have enough large capacity for best results. One can not just replace a quite large capacity with a small one, as of a "smaller film cap". The film cap should be a component of the AC coupling circuit, but not as a stand alone replacement for the larger capacity (especially in that place).

I have questions about the two 3.3 and one 1.2 voltage regulators that power the ESS9018 chips -

1. How much amperage does each voltage regulator require from the power supply if one wanted to use separate linear power supplies for each ?

2. When using these three smaller power supplies for the voltage regulators, would that change the values to use for those who have invested in a +/- 15 and +9 volt linear power supply as some have done here?

And what would the ratings be for those power supplies - in volts and amps for those power supplies ?

Thanks much everyone!!!

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
There was for a while a discussion about a possible project to adapt an external linear power supply to an Oppo 95 model, as this device do not allow placement of a such heat dissipating PSU inside its enclosure.

Recently I decided to finish my idea about an adaptor to make possible the connection of an external LPM to the 95 model main board (dismissing/replacing so its original SMPS).
This adaptor is now designed and I will send it soon to production. The interconnection, main board in 95 model to the external LPM, it will be made through the bottom side of the chassis, very near to the main board connector, and it will be the shortest possible one. The external LPM it should so be placed beside the player on its right side. No any mechanical intervention on the chassis bottom side (cutting) it will be necessary to realize this connection.

I may come back with more informations, as soon as the adaptor it will be manufactured. Then it rest only some experiments to appreciate more accurate how the LPM it will be able to power the 95 model, about the heat dissipation, and maybe about eventual adjustments.

By the way, I found also a right and quite nice enclosure for the external LPM too...
It looks to me like this project it will come soon to an (happy) end...:)

Last edited: