Unusual amp from 1987

I checked simulations of many other hexfet quasi amps, and it seems that this asymmetry in upper/lower devices conducting is normal.
Lower device always has sharp 0V crossing, and upper device more rounded.
Tomorrow will check if BJT quasi amps also behave like that?
These changes that Steve made (LEDs), actually look like they are improving things (smoother crossover).

Finally I got the DIN=>RCA cable, and was able to properly hook up
new amp for testing - Wiederhold77 BJT Quasi (2N3055 version) described in posts #952 and #985.
Surprise :) - can't tell the sound from any other Wiederhold77 tested (LatFet, HexFet Quasi).
Sounds great. A lot of bass, and very clear sound. Runs cold, not much heatsinking needed (I use 20V rails from my Class A amp PSU (small alu box on the left)).
Heatsinks you see in the photos are overkill, but didn't have anything smaller. I guess these emitter resistors (5W) are also too big, 2W would be enough.
But - doesn't feel weaker than his bigger brothers at all, even though max power with 25V rails will barely exceed 30W RMS (and 50W peak power).
Cost of output transistors - 70 cents each (8 in total for 2 channels), and it sounds the same as expensive Exicon latfets.
Must be something wrong with my ears, but I will risk a statement that this must be the best 2N3055 amp ever built :)

Attachments

• DSCN0413.JPG
    DSCN0413.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCN0414.JPG
    DSCN0414.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Hi, Mr.Minek. Happy New Year!
I have a few questions for you.
Clip.jpg
How do I turn on the ground, according to scheme #1078. Signal or power GND? Marked in red.
00-AmpliWire-Sch-Comments.jpg
VHex_v1.1_schematic.jpg
The next question. Maybe it would be more correct to make changes according to the attached scheme, in the recalculation of the values of the resistor R?.