Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

For those interested, here is the current progress on the SOB-1 using the Tang Band W8-1808 and 2x Dipole15-D16. Baffles are cut and layers glued together. Should be installing the drivers tonight. Measurements and initial active Xover with MiniDSP will be coming quickly, followed by the passive xover simulation and build.

Beautiful work, I love the simplicity...
I will be following this very closely :)

Attachments

• IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 934
Curved open baffle

Bothered me not using a pair of BG Neo 10 planars for a long while.
I was never happy with them in a tuned box with a 4" wide port behind them, for back output, or on a flat baffle.

So now I'm trying them open backed, front firing into a horn, which starts out just as wide as the membrane, quickly narrows to 2", then flares to 19 1/2" wide by 11 1/2" high, in a 13" run.

As hoped, it fills things out nicely from 350 hertz up.

I guess they're pretty good tonally, as they're a near twin of some old Peerless 6 1/2 " dual driver cabinets, old ones made in Denmark.

Slightly higher output, better ambience retrieval, and no box resonances on vocals.

Horn sides are a cheat, 3/32" Baltic Birch, no bracing, as I hoped this would add some resonant output to the driver sound.

Nothing to measure this with, if it does help.

Anyways, for me, this was a worthwhile start to another project.

Attachments

• 20161016_192329.jpg
    20161016_192329.jpg
    981.4 KB · Views: 1,850
That is exactly what I am planning to do with a couple of 50x15 cm electrostatic panels. Open back? I tried that with a midbass horn for the Fane S 8M and I preferred a back chamber with lots of damping material. But those were meant to be played from 120-600Hz. Maybe I should remove the back chamber of all my compression drivers. :p

Sorry, it was Neo3. After much searching and self question, I found the ugly behemoths at the attic!

The horns made them go down to 600 Hz, with wonderful soundstage and crisp treble, if listening from the driver side.

From the horn side they sounded like crap....

I took the front magnet assy off for better sound and to match sensitivity of the two parallelled Peerless SLS12 dipole woofers.

Attachments

• IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 1,652
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 1,602