UK subwoofer building - Where's the value at?

That’s OK you can give me £110 to balance the books when you buy the other pair 😉. I’m actually toying with the idea of using the other pair myself to make a sub in push-push configuration.

No probs:D

Nice to meet ya dude! I find that People that are passionate about ANYTHING are always more interesting than the usual dead-heads. Maybe when I give you 110 for the other pair this corona crap will have died down and I'll be able to listen to your system:D

@ga77a - ta dude :D

@kaffiMann - Ya know what, I'm actually loving this "carpentry" (and I use the term loosely) thing. When I get into full on ADHD PROJECT MODE it's an absolute joy to be measuring and cutting and whatnot!

Now if only I could cut a straight line every time with a circular saw - it takes some real concentration!!!

Oh wait... I ordered a table saw... OHYEAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Oh lord I hope it gets here in time. The last thing the delivery company the saw is coming through "delivered" left no note through the door, marked it as 'recipient not available for delivery' (my isolating GF is in or gardening ALL DAY EVERY DAY) and I finally managed to work out through the tracking numbers (sender and delivery co) they claim I was advised to pick it up from a post office 15 minutes drive away. The NHS won't even let me collect my GF's prescriptions, hell no am I going to collect that thing!

I suspect a bit of "end of day, running late, dump it all at the local post office" going on there haha.

Redelivery Monday, not in time to fix at the weekend! Parcelforce, this is not the first time we have crossed swords, and I'm sure it won't be the last...

Open/empty roads/motorways and no S2000 to abuse them with due to a stuck calliper... Torture. Absolute TORTURE.

Last edited:
PS, may I ask who the "boss" is on this forum?

I'd rather like to say thanks and congratulations for having maintained one of only two old-school phpBB forums that still thrive. I know, a lot of it is down to the community... But if I've learned anything from my friendship and many conversations with the sole creator / final decision maker of the other one, it takes a particular approach to make these things work.

I may have to PM this Jason chap to express my impressedness at it being one of only 2 phpBB forums that still really have to zip to 'em!

And no... I'm not gonna go insane with the table saw... i promise... honest...

A friends dad growing up had two stubby fingers on his left hand. My mother and I both recite in our heads "Will Johnston, Will Johnston, Will Johnston, Will Johnston, Will Johnston, etc etc etc" when using table and band saws. There will be no texas bandsaw masacre here... I hope!!!!

Yeah, I used to know a man that was a professional shooter, he managed to cut off the index finger on his right hand.
They managed to get his finger back on, and he'd endlessly complain about the reduced performance caused by the people at the hospital not doing stuff right...
I'd just think to myself that perhaps he should not constantly rush and do half assed cuts all the time.

At one place I worked some guy managed to cut off his arm just below the shoulder, he was "just" getting into an automated tank to get out the last fish for processing.
If there are safeguards and routines to follow, quite frequently there are reasons for that kind of thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, I used to know a man that was a professional shooter, he managed to cut off the index finger on his right hand.
They managed to get his finger back on, and he'd endlessly complain about the reduced performance caused by the people at the hospital not doing stuff right...
I'd just think to myself that perhaps he should not constantly rush and do half assed cuts all the time.

At one place I worked some guy managed to cut off his arm just below the shoulder, he was "just" getting into an automated tank to get out the last fish for processing.
If there are safeguards and routines to follow, quite frequently there are reasons for that kind of thing.

The finger, well, I sort of feel for the guy.... But yeah, if he was rushing cuts, ya gets what ya gets there sorry. The other chap - I'm not even going to think about that. Christ on a bicycle. "Just" reaching into this thing that'll cut my arm off for the sake of ONE LAST FISH?! Poor guy. Must be hard living with only one arm knowing (I dam well hope) that it was his own dumb-*** fault.

We have a combine driver who used to come and do the barley every so often. Only guy around with a machine old enough to handle out Organic (weeds everywhere startus of the farm) - I could find the max character count 3/4 times over writing about him, and if my other passion (video/movie making) ever goes anywhere he'd make a perfect Werner Herzog style documentary subject... Drives a 4x4 with passenger seats (front and back) knee deep with empty cig packets and garage food wrappers. Anyways - He's missing two fingers on one hand - why? Well he was un-cloging a combine while the Machine A: was still turned on B: still had pressure created by the jam. Even turned off this thing was a coiled spring. They couldn't get 'em back on so he was back finishing off the field that evening.

I've had plenty of close calls, thumbs cut only 1/3 through, a nick on my wallet from a chainsaw that will forever remind me to treat them with more respect, etc etc. I treat those things as a gift of a PROPER warning without doing any lasting damage.

Last edited:
Anyways - made some major progress yesterday AND COMPLETED ALL THE INTERNAL BOX PANELS. -engineered wood to come when table saw arrives, bracing also needs doing, I ain't finished by a long shot-

I realised that I needed to make the thing taller.

AND COMPLETED ALL THE INTERNAL BOX PANELS. -engineered wood to come when table saw arrives, bracing also to be done, I ain't done by a long shot-

Well... Bigger - But that Inch thick baffle plate ain't getting remade any bigger - all that wood is very very used up.

So, with the help of the GF holding it in mocked-up form, I got some internal measurements.

Turned out, including my 12mm baffle reinforcement place (completely unnecessary haha) an the completely necessary 12mm upper reinforcement plate -They're DF subs remember- and leaving 5l for the driver, a little stingy based on the beefiness of that basket... I was heading for an internal volume of 49.8l before bracing etc.

I was aiming for about 53, so the bracing bought it down to about 51-52l.

To be fair on the thing, anything above 45l and i'd have been able to EQ, which i'm going to have to do anyway no matter what the size, but it pays to start with headroom eh.

So, My old side panels are scrap... Well, bracing material.

And I've decided to go for (inc driver internal displacement and the 12mm internal plates top & bottom) about 60l ish each.

Amazingly, that only involved increasing the height of each box by 24mm!! And if I got my maths wrong on that one, which is quite possible indeed, and now I think about it, quite likely?! It's the last of that wood I have though so it is what is is, and that just be what it is.

Base, without the engineered wood flooring = 420 x 420mm.
Height, again without the bla bla bla = 475mm.
I liked the idea of a cube, but I like the idea of sufficient internal volume more:D

Here lies some pics of the finished Ikea flat-pack BHUUMEN Sübwoofer, assuming ikea gave zero fecks about internal bracing and the like. Probably not a bad assumption really...

Attachments

• P1130964.JPG
    P1130964.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 177
  • P1130963.JPG
    P1130963.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 174
  • P1130962.JPG
    P1130962.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 168
Not much to say except MY TABLE SAW ARRIVED AND IS NEARLY PUT TOGETHER!!!

No good pics of it yet, sorry.

Now all I have to do is clean up and paint the bottom and the feet (3/8 feet are UGLY with some sort plastic of veneer rot) and figure out how to put it all together including bracing.

Then I get to have fun with the saw making it look ultra classy with some 45° cuts:D

WHOop!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 22.13.43.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 22.13.43.png
    654 KB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 22.17.31.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 22.17.31.png
    543.3 KB · Views: 153
Been calculating what screws to use for the feet. More complicated that you'd think... Wait - you've all built speakers before. Exactly as complicated as you'd think. I'm not going to the local DIY superstore in this current situation with the GF and all that though, so I'll figure something out.

Anyways, just a couple pics of the saw, which I still haven't finished putting together, nor reading the instructions. Probably as the instructions seem designed to make things more (not less) complicated.

Anyways. Not a fancy saw by any means, but a couple steps up from the cheapest ones available at Screwfix, but nowhere near as nice as the £1k jobbies. It'll do me just fine I suspect.

Attachments

• P1130973.JPG
    P1130973.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 54
  • P1130972.JPG
    P1130972.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 66
Good on you :)

Always nice to have good tools, if you can find them.

I've finally gotten so far in my tidying that I've actually got space to sort out the tools now... As in: Managed to tidy up and sort a couple rooms full of stuff and now just managed to get to my workbench unhindered. There's an about 30cm layer of tools&parts hindering the view of the workbench surface. Almost looking forward to it.

Good on you :)

Always nice to have good tools, if you can find them.

I've finally gotten so far in my tidying that I've actually got space to sort out the tools now... As in: Managed to tidy up and sort a couple rooms full of stuff and now just managed to get to my workbench unhindered. There's an about 30cm layer of tools&parts hindering the view of the workbench surface. Almost looking forward to it.

So close... So so close...

I'm also kinda on a workbench thing - I've got an under the stairs room with some weird as feck shapes - and all my electrical switches/fuses/boards/boiler etc in there as well as an actual shed load of old bikes, carpet, so so so so much "might need that one day" stuff. If I can get the sawdust extraction vacuum system working so it doesn't scare the bejeezus out of me with it being in the same room as all my electrics, it'll make a wonderful little mini workshop.

Decent progress this last weekend - got a 7.5mm really high quality bit of board - 580x462mm to somehow Tetris into two 400x388 braces for one direction. Then I got the 25mm baffle plates backed in the right place by the two 12mm MDF pieces. This was a TERROR. Bearing in mind these were the first pieces I cut out with my brand new haven't used one in years jigsaw... Yeah, they're ugly. I also somehow managed to balls one up, have to take it apart juuuuuuuust before the glue dried enough to risk ripping anything, and re-do it. You can see in the closeup pic, my mistake holes.

Then the Tetris brace plates. They're slightly asymmetrical because it worked better that way and who cares, they're brace plates - I'm lucky to have found any at all to be frank.

I have one more set of brace plates to work out, I call them the saviours. I found them in the back of the "shed" ages ago while looking for wood. Yesterday I see my GF with this piece of wood, about to cut it into a door for the greenhouse!!! I remember earmarking them for sub making instantly - 11mm very high quality plywood. Stiff as anything. I do whatever it takes to find the GF a replacement greenhouse door, and manage to get two 388x400 (my vertical internal dimensions) out of it. I could've got a third, but that wouldn't be fair to the other sub eh, plus it'll make some excellent additional bracing about the place - possibly to sure up the thiner stuff in some key areas.

I also have some offcuts of the 25mm beefy heavy baffle plate material to play with in corners etc.

Attachments

• P1130994.JPG
    P1130994.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 48
  • P1130992.JPG
    P1130992.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 41
Something only a mother could love. And all the diyaudio forum goers :D

:eek:

:D

Yep, a bit like an ugly baby eh. Just gotta smile at it and be nice. Thanks for that hhaha.

Thanks for posting every now and again. You're my best forum bro, as the kids would say hahaha. Makes it feel like someone is reading all this mess, even though I'm sure there are a few keeping up with it a little more quietly (which is cool too:D)

Well, fell asleep replying so this is all from last night, so when I say today - it's yesterday.

Almost made a major step today and put all the internal panels together(pic 1)...

That would have been so dam cool. the fit on 'em isn't great (pre table saw) but finally seeing a box, wow, yeah.. I'd have liked that. A lot. So far all I've done is measurements and the occasional semi mock balancing up of side panels on there with something holding it together (turns out, in that regard, a GF and a piece of string are about as useful as each other).

But then remembered I had one more brace to make for each sub, and having two panel bace on each sub while putting them together would make it a LOT easier to get 'em square, and that's rather important. So many steps in this lark before satisfaction!! I guess if I'd bought the table saw before this I'd be a long way further along.

My first job was measuring and realising that most all but one of the brace panels had one side (or 2 in one case) that was a mm or two too large. Table saw sorted that out quick enough, but it's always a faff carrying it from the living room to outside the front door.

I had a whole load of ideas. I chose third one (pic 2).

If anyone had told me there'd be this many numbers and divisions by 2 in this whole subwoofer building thing Id just have paid £600 for a BK 400XXL and and an antimode (pic 3)

And finally, about 1 in the morning I finished the basics of the saviour brace (pic 4)

As you can see, the thinner brace is slightly asymmetrical in the middle bit. I think that's a byproduct of having to squeeze to out of one fairly small piece of wood. It won't matter, they'll slot together well enough.

Now I just have to copy all that to the other saviour brace, which should make it a lot easier to copy onto the other saviour brace with all the numbers on the board (YEH! - how you feelin'? - FINE! - ya feel alright?) so I guess it shouldn't be long until I can cut 'em out and start to make things look like boxes.

I might do a bit of work with the hole saw kit I borrowed on the saviour brace if it looks overkill, and on the top panel reinforcement panel too. It doesn't need 15mm of flooring, 16mm of reclaimed cupboard, then 12mm of MDF. That's 41mm thick up top!

Oh, and a bunch of corner braces, small corner wood batten things, maybe an angled brace thing joining the crossed braces together. Gotta be careful not to lose all my internal volume though. I guess that's where the hole saw comes in eh.

The real transformation will come with the fancy oak layered flooring though!

Attachments

• P1140018.JPG
    P1140018.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 34
  • P1140022.JPG
    P1140022.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 32
  • P1140013.JPG
    P1140013.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 34
  • P1140021.JPG
    P1140021.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Regarding bracing, I guess it's just another of those things that you overthink at first. Fast forward some years and you probably make it a little bit simpler, thinking more along the lines of "sturdy enough for forces in directions so and so" rather than "moah is probably squaredawesomeness^57 times pi !!!11oneoneONEexclamationmark!".