UDNeSS, or You don't need Semisouth's

I am working on a preamplifier project, although on a break from the project until past new years, and will need a power amp (or 2-3) so I might be up for testing it.
What is more important is that I am trying to locate an amp that can qualify as a reference amp for my loudspeaker development side of things. In reality, auditioning a loudspeaker on multiple platforms (classes) is unavoidable.
And once you get into diya, we all know that after a while, one starts to collect em .. lol

I will take a look at the links you provided.

My point was not only reference (neutral) but a span of classes as well as clean and noisy. You want both the clean and neutral sound as well as an amp that has a good handling on even order harmonics or the triode effect.

I am considering building myself the Yamaha M-5000, I like the fact that it uses floating ground which should make it very quiet. Then there is the Honeybadger developed here on diya.

Who says you can only have one amplifier :)

The J2 rises high above that dispute between cults. Most likely, the First Watt J2 preserves music's vital chi because it's a simple, high-bias, class-A, single-ended, low-feedback design, created by Nelson Pass—one that has no need to impress the mainstream masses or drive 4 ohm speakers.
I don't get the chase for very high sensitivity. I usually listen to my music between 70-85dB, so in that regards, the 25ish watts should be more than enough. But yes, according to Herb, this amplifier has no problems rendering the music with a lifelike sensation with 8 ohm nominal loads.