• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Voltage Regulator, Is it worth the effort?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi HornTube,

Uh ah, that was some 10-15 years ago... I searched for drawing but could not find it so I draw new one. I'm not sure if it is 100% same as I used for my amp but it is close enough for rough start, please experiment on breadboard before actually fitting in your amp. Make sure you use separate filament transformer for each regulator tube!
Instead of 6550 ( KT88 ) I also used 6L6 ( for pre-amp and/or screen regulation ) and parallel connected 6AS7G ( 6080 ) for another 300B amp with great success, please be aware of a very high voltage input needed for regulator to even work ( approx. ± 550-600 volt DC ) and place a fuse before regulator just in case something goes wrong!

Regards,

Thanks Max! Do not worry, I'm building tube amps since 1989. I have some 6080's here but the 6L6 is interesting. BTW, did you notice a difference in sound between pentode and triode regulators? Cos actually I have never used a triode reg - shame on me!

Hi,

If you use 6080 ( 6AS7G ) in parallel you have at dispose more current reserve and lower resistance through the tube but ECC83 will work harder to regulate DC because of low amplification factor... since you have one you can try and see how it goes. You can also use voltage tube regulator ( 85A1 or 85A2 ) instead of zener diode for full tube regulator!
I don't remember difference in sound because I didn't compare them in the same amp.

As long as the floating heater supplies for the 6080's is tied to the output its no issue. The winding on the transformer will need sufficient insulation through

The differential voltage the 6080 sees is also in spec.

However 100V headroom can be too low in low mains voltage conditions and full load operation. Depending on supply impedance and mains variations your supply could fall out of regulation if the mains voltage fluctuates too much.

You will need a second heater supply for the error amplifier. Because its cathode will be closer to ground.

6080 have Cathode to heater voltage equal 100v in datasheet and Va 250v.
Can I use it in regulator with 500v input and 400v output?

You are right at the limit of the 6080's Heater to Cathode voltage.
If you have the room for another transformer, I would heat the 6080 and it's error amplifier valve(s) on a new transformer biased up to 150V or so.
Also, as v4lve lover pointed out, you are at the very low end of the 6080's plate to cathode voltage. 150V would be much better.

I'm in the process of building one of these right now...
You might find the 2 attachments helpfull

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    13.5 KB · Views: 295
  • Amp18_V-reg_Rev2.bmp
    96.3 KB · Views: 207
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.