Troels Gravesen high efficiency 3-way looks like a winner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Buiding a speaker is always a bet. I have buid many. Some were very bad. Some so so, other so good... Not like a brand speaker you can't send it without loosing lot of money.
As i love taking risk and try new design i must save money doing my cabinet. I could t accept to have paid 2000 or 3000 euros for a speakers i can't sell more than 500 e...
But i must admit i love wood work and now i have tools for that ans skills. So i limit the risk of loosing money. Good speakers i want to sell, finish to friend s house who like it. And i am always happy to hear them when i come to their house : )
Hope i will enjoy 3wc. It takes times and energy....
I am preparing the oak sides. It is almost done. Last step after that : glue it and play music...

If they seem quite professional, although the price seems a bit high ... those indicative prices that you have provided, are shipping included?

If they seem quite professional, although the price seems a bit high ... those indicative prices that you have provided, are shipping included?

Sorry i don't understand.
I am building myself the speakers.
Talking about this i must say that very soon the 3wc will sing. It is always longer that espected...i got some dedails to fix and take times.
So...
One is 99 % finished. I only got to put feet and ad some oil on the oak for the finition.
The other one is gluing now. I got details also to fix but 2 h of works and it is done...
I think this sunday they will be singing. I ll try to send you pictures...

Shipping was included inside Germany, if you were asking me... :)

Olivier... already burning-in?

I worked on my xover today, exactly as Troels was describing them on his website. Soldering this week.

Attachments

• 20200426_160542.jpg
    20200426_160542.jpg
    847.9 KB · Views: 580
  • 20200426_181546.jpg
    20200426_181546.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 594
  • 20200426_181555.jpg
    20200426_181555.jpg
    775.8 KB · Views: 574
Hi every one.
Not burning yet. I had much work today (i take care of grapes to make wine) but i had time this evening to finish the box.
The two speakers are in the house but as children were sleaping i couldn t put the drivers and try it.
Tomorrow will be the day they wil sing.
Finition is not perfect but i am happy with the style.
I ll try to send you pictures.

You might want to reconsider how you arranged the coils. They should be perpendicular to each other to reduce crosstalk.

Thank you, it is exactly following Troel's description though, what should be changed? Could it stay on the same layout/plate? Thank you.

edit: pic from Troel's website

Attachments

• wiring_3wc.jpg
    wiring_3wc.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:

Attachments

• xover_bearb_mod.jpg
    xover_bearb_mod.jpg
    861.5 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
IMO leave that coil where it is. Troels had no problem with it in that position.
However if you want you can turn the small coil, on the left, in an upright position. Then it will be 90 degrees to the coil in the middle. You need to glue/ cable tie it so it does not fall over.

In a different photo I saw a resistor cable tied to a cap. Hopefully that resistors does not get hot. I would not do that.

Generally people use larger wattage resistors or resistors in parallel when using big amps. This speaker is efficient so perhaps big wattage amps will not be used. Just my two cents.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.