Troels Gravesen high efficiency 3-way looks like a winner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are beautiful, congratulations! I'm temtped to build these... I have the impression that 12" woofers must give a more live/effortless presentation in general, specially low and lower mid frequencies. How do they image? Do they create a wide and strong central image? I suppose that big mid driver helps... but I really have no idea

I see you augmented speakers cabinet height in order to not having separate stands. Troels warns that changing cabinet design affects speaker response as crossovers are tailored to such design, specifically he pointed out that stands should not present a flat surface below the woofer... I wonder if that extended cabinet below woofers is affecting your bass responseand crossover tweaking should be necesary to compensate, surely someone here can give some insight on this

I see you augmented speakers cabinet height in order to not having separate stands. Troels warns that changing cabinet design affects speaker response as crossovers are tailored to such design, specifically he pointed out that stands should not present a flat surface below the woofer... I wonder if that extended cabinet below woofers is affecting your bass responseand crossover tweaking should be necesary to compensate, surely someone here can give some insight on this

That's no issue in terms of bass. The wavelength of a 340 Hz tone is 1m, so much more than the little change of the box. As long as the wavelength is higher than the dimensions of the "change", the sound will not notice the change.

Good to know. In any case i forgot to say Troels was reffering to the first example of his 3 way classic speakers series, although I think it applies to all the others: "Do not make a stand having a "front panel" as an extension of the speaker front panel. The bass driver reaches up to 500 Hz and a larger front panel will change the sound radically."
SEAS-3-Way-Classic

After this he started to use physical time aligned front baffles (except on Faital 3WC and Prelude models)

I must say that more the 12 inch get burn better it is. Now it really start to fine its room and i really like it. Very good woofer i must admit. I’ll try it in my heresy 3 because the Klipsch woofer is a crap.
For now i am not sure that the medium is burned yet but it propose à neutral presentation and a strong présence.
Maybe it is the tweeter that «*disapoint «* me the more. It is not bad at all but I was waiting something with more energy especially for the price. I like the presentation very live of the heresy 3 and I can’t find it here. I am thinking what if we could give 2or 3 dB more to the tweet?
...i ll try soon with other amps and dac (ps7000s Yamaha, maya 200 aspen, f5 Nelson pass!aca Nelson pass, ps audio nuwave and Solaris)
I will tell you more.
But...but...don’t misunderstand me. I have made crap many liked. This is really not that but more a good successful speaker.

For now i am not sure that the medium is burned yet but it propose à neutral presentation and a strong présence.
Maybe it is the tweeter that «*disapoint «* me the more. It is not bad at all but I was waiting something with more energy especially for the price. I like the presentation very live of the heresy 3 and I can’t find it here. I am thinking what if we could give 2or 3 dB more to the tweet?

I imagine the horn mid/tweeter compresion driver config on Klipsch must make a contrast in comparison with soft dome tweeter/paper cone midrange.

I believe you can increase the tweeter volume by reducing the tweeter resistor value (Ra), you could test placing one of the same value in parallel and it will halve resistance... from there you can test different values and decide what tweeter level you prefer... but don't take my word, ask Troels or someone knowledgeable! Maybe it's Troels sound signature, I built his SBA 3WC, fantastic speaker, best I've ever owned, quite balanced and natural sound that works very good with most recordings... I mean, there are recordings that can sound edgy on other speakers and with the 3WC sound great.

Hi everyone, I'm new to DIY audio, but I am also interested in this speaker. I emailed Troels about another speaker and he pointed me to this one instead. He said it was more appropriate for my room (710 sq feet/66 sq meters). Plus, it doesn't cost $5000/pair like the The Loudspeaker. And the drivers are actually available here in the US.

For those of you who may have heard Troel's designs, how would you describe the signature sound? I like that Danish, Dynaudio, soft-dome-tweeter sound. In fact, I find the Klipsch Heresy and Forte to be too much on the high end for my delicate ears. Different strokes for different folks, of course. And I like the Klipsch enough to have considered them, listened to them, etc.

Thanks!
David

I must say that more the 12 inch get burn better it is. Now it really start to fine its room and i really like it. Very good woofer i must admit. I’ll try it in my heresy 3 because the Klipsch woofer is a crap.
...i ll try soon with other amps and dac (ps7000s Yamaha, maya 200 aspen, f5 Nelson pass!aca Nelson pass, ps audio nuwave and Solaris)
I will tell you more.
But...but...don’t misunderstand me. I have made crap many liked. This is really not that but more a good successful speaker.

Yes the tweeter was always my main concern with this design.My experience with high sensitivity mids and woofers is that standard sort of dome tweeters do not match the rest and generally sound like they are lacking in energy.Bullet or slot type tweeters seem to work best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.