Troels Gravesen high efficiency 3-way looks like a winner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
picowallspeaker,
I'm quite interested in your post where you say
freestanding box it's much-much better
Do you mean that like for like i.e. same upper baffle, internal volumes, crossover etc, then a speaker on an open stand will outperform a floorstander? If so, in what way and why in your experience? I'm just curious because I am close to going ahead with a floorstander version of the 3WC, which is better practical option for me, but I am not 100% decided. Thanks.

Last edited:
Jantzen box

Faital 3WC kit box just arrived from Jantzen Audio. Oddly enough, the kit box is only 2cm over the 3WC width and depth, and 8cm less in height. So it gives quite a good idea of the size of this speaker. You can see that it dwarfs the Rega EL8 floorstander next to it. Yikes!

Attachments

• Jantzen Box.JPG
    Jantzen Box.JPG
    970.9 KB · Views: 885
Thank you Bigun, I might give that a go. I only have 1/4inch router shank, so good for maybe 12mm stock. I could really do with a 1/2inch tool for some jobs.

You're missing the point my friend, a DIY project of this scope gives you the reason to go and buy (by mail perhaps) those tools you ‘need’ and deserve !!! :D

Hi guys

Just to let you know building is going on here. I got all drivers even the be tweeter.
Xover is on the way and should be here next week.
Cabinets are 2/3 made.
...it should sing for easter i hope.
Ps obviously janzen have sold as they told me more than 20 faital kits in a short time...certainly a good news.

Last edited:
I'll ordered the Faital 3WC kit as well. Faital drivers were in stock in Italy at a local distributor near Milano. Let's see... Do you think the DIY pass F6 is enough for driving the Faital well? Or any other recommendations? I know own the xtz a100 d3, just for comparison. Thank you guys for your input... Cheers, Martin

I would probably need some input and suggestion while building, do you have some photos/advice for me later? :confused:

Thank you!
Martin

Yep. Pm me i ll give you my mail...

But first i need to be clear about a problem i found on the tweeter section xover.
On the schema given by troels for the BE tweeter we got in serie
c1 (alumen cap)-> R2 -> L1 -> C2 --> minus of the tweeter.
But on the drawing we find :
C1 -> C2 -> R2 -> L1 -> minus tweeter.

My question is : does the order matters ? (I think no but i prefer be sure abd not destroy my TWEETERS...

Thanks for helping.

I ask those members who build this speaker to please share this information with the forum when your speakers are finished:

Did you build the Faital-3WC exactly as designed, specifically in regard to the crossover, front baffle, and bass driver chamber volume? If not , what changes did you make, and will you use it freestanding or on a stand?

Can you describe to us the room in which you audition the speakers (floor area in square meters or feet, ceiling height, furnishings, doors/windows/curtains/drapes, hard or carpeted floor, etc.).

Please describe your listening position relative to the speakers, including your distance from each speaker, the speakers distance from each other, the distance of the speakers and yourself from each wall and whether the speakers are arrayed on the long or short dimension of a rectangular room, the height of your ear from the floor in your normal seated position, the height of the tweeter whether the speaker stands by itself or on a stand, and whether you listen directly on axis (the speakers pointed directly at your head) or off axis, and by how much off axis in degrees if you are able to take that measurement.

If possible, please audition the speakers with each one positioned at least 2 meters from each room boundary, then with each speaker up against a side wall, then with each speaker in a corner, and report your impressions of bass response in each case.

If possible, please audition each speaker with a variety of music (perhaps Baroque chamber orchestra, string quartet, large orchestral, organ, heavy rock, jazz, folk, or your own personal favorites) and report your impressions in the speakers' ability to reproduce the music in a manner pleasing to you.

And, for those with the technical knowledge and equipment, if you can share sound pressure level and frequency response measurements, that would be most helpful.

I believe that sharing the information I have suggested will greatly assist others who may be considering building this speaker and will answer and possibly resolve some of the questions regarding this design. Congratulations to those who build it and thanks to those who share.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.