Troels Gravesen high efficiency 3-way looks like a winner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Xover are in the boxes and everything is solder.
I am gluing the front panels. They are also ready to welcome the drivers.
I think tomorrow i will plug it to an amp to try and check i have not make mistake in the xover.
The cabinet got the sides open so if i have to change something it will be easier...
If everything is ok I'll have half a day of work to make the finishand glue the oak sides...and that's it...i ll be able to attack my volt 18" sub !!!

I'm starting the the xover today... I ordered the cabinets (due to the lack of workshop and capabilities here: Ebel Holztechnik

As this is my first real project I did some soldering exercises over the last few days. Now I'm more or less ready to go... is it better to glue the parts onto the wood before soldering or soldering first and then fixing it on the wood. I bet the attached superglue from Jantzen is for the xover?!

Then for the isolation material I will get some silicone to glue it into the cabinets, right?

Cheers, Martin

How to put the X-o out of the enclosure:

Attach the wires to the drivers and make them exit out of the box

The part where the wire goes thru the box is important: A simple hole and glue to the wire for making it seal/tight might be no good. Some gum/neoprene could be used to isolate it from vibrations; I use hot glue...

Then each speaker is driven by the relative X-over; all the X-over inputs should be brought to amplifier > tri-wiring.

It's simple as it is. No more X-Overs inside the cabinets!

:santa3:

Some news from france...unfortunatly i made a big mistake and the front had glue as the pise tower. So i had to break half of the front contact with the rest of the cabinet and with a lot of work and silicone i succeed to fix my mistake.
So this morning i tried all drivers in to check the xover.
And all seems working perfectly.
I cannot say anything about the sound. Box is open. Drivers are new and i listen one by one speaker at horizontal...
As soon as rain stop i ll go outside to make the finish and glue the oak on the side. Maybe for next week end...
Bye all

Are you going to build the enclosures just like Troels?

Yes, the enclosures just like Troels did them.

Have a look here, I will get them finished... without painting
HiFi / Lautsprecher / Troels Gravesen / Seas 3-Way Classic MK2 / Buche MPX | Galerien

Prices depend on type of material, if you want the construction kit or the finished boxes (like I have) or the finished boxes with painting. Start around 600 and goes up to 1200 - depends all on your wishes. They seem to be very good and professional, I've mailed them and spoken to them. Mr. Ebel said they do this kind of speaker-building for quite some years. I pay around 950. I now have to wait for a couple of weeks, as soon as I have them here I'll share some photos. :)

Thanks for your answer. If they seem quite professional, although the price seems a bit high ...

I don't agree. How much labour do you think goes into a pair of those enclosures? And how much do you think is their hourly rate? As far as I can tell, they are doing this for a living, not just for fun. They could ask a lot more, if you ask me!

Buiding a speaker is always a bet. I have buid many. Some were very bad. Some so so, other so good... Not like a brand speaker you can't send it without loosing lot of money.
As i love taking risk and try new design i must save money doing my cabinet. I could t accept to have paid 2000 or 3000 euros for a speakers i can't sell more than 500 e...
But i must admit i love wood work and now i have tools for that ans skills. So i limit the risk of loosing money. Good speakers i want to sell, finish to friend s house who like it. And i am always happy to hear them when i come to their house : )
Hope i will enjoy 3wc. It takes times and energy....
I am preparing the oak sides. It is almost done. Last step after that : glue it and play music...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.