transistor amp not working after shorting output

Well, I should say floating neutral. A rival DJ cut the neutral line to the pole while the party was in progress. Burnt out damn near every bulb in the light show, and fried a lot of electronics. Years later when I was living at a rent house in an industrial district they were trying to run an ISP out of there too. I saw the same cr@p happening with the power, and the power company swore up and down nothing was wrong. Went to Skycraft, picked up that 10kVA 240:120/240 they had for $200 and hard wired it to run the server room. Not another glitch in 4 years till they moved downtown. I inherited the transformer.

in France in the 80s and early 90s, we had "power" brand PA amplifiers and in the tests after repair and adjustment there was the instruction to put the hp outputs in short circuit for a certain time with a certain signal voltage and frequency to validate the distribution.
it was impressive because it was quite unusual but if it held up, the device was good for service.

hi guys i see that you had a great conversation :D i am glad to see this. btw about my amp, it was one small wire touching collector of the transistor, i am not sure how it happened tbh. but fuse protected it, i was lucky, btw amps can burn i had few that did before mostly amps that are old and not really maintained well. i really like amps, i had old tube guitar head 10+ years ago i dont remember the brand it was working really good quality was great and i sold it for cheap i was just a kid back then xdd but i was always afraid of tube amps , usually i only use transistor amps and i have a new one, but in my opinion if amp is maintained with care it can last long time, also i hate when people turn it to the max to play as loud as possible that can kill it and burn it so early.

Many older amps can be turned up to 11 without blowing them up, which is what I like. There are a few notable exceptions like PL, but they have the cool factor going for them. The 400 can be made stout with a few minor mods - if you consider installing 2SD424’s or MJ15024’s AND A COUPLE FANS minor. Nothing you can do for a 700 short of total redesign, unfortunately. Give me an old Peavey, Altec or BGW, and you can just beat the **** out of it and the only thing you’ll blow is the speakers.

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, I really liked the BGW amps. 750's for sure.

Nothing at all wrong with Yamaha P2200. I just bought a PC2002 for home use. It was "working fine" (but a moron worked on it in the past, it's a trainwreck I need to rebuild). These are very clean amplifiers and can take abuse.

There is nothing wrong with a clean amp, like Yamaha guitar amps. You just use a pedal for the sound you want. They are extremely quiet, which is nice. But for a tube amp, gimmie a Fender Twin anything. Love those! You can get so many different sounds from them.

when i said clean i was talking more about tonal character of a amp, if you understand, for some reason i like tone of old amps more, i also tested new and old amps on different speakers but i still can tell the difference. btw when i plug my fx processor in amp i have great sound but when i plug it into a mixer that goes to my interface sound is so thin and different, also cab simulators do not help at all.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yup, I knew what you were talking about.

You can't mimic say ... a Fender Twin with an effects unit. You can get "sort of like", but not the same.

I was only saying that some modern amps that are (truly) very clean can sound great with the right effects pedal or unit. DSP is another things and that can be different too.

yeah, there are really awesome modern amps, but my point is that today amps are more for peoplewho like them, for example in music producion i use guitar rig its a vst plugin a fx processor for pc basically. it sounds great but there is just a lot of noise, and also there is latency from audio interface... i want to avoid it as much as i can. but at the other end hardware fx units are expencive. most of cheaper gear is only worth for playing with amps not as DI.

hi guys its me again :D i have one question, i have one amp that i got for cheap and i fixed it but i noticed it works on 24v. it is transistor amp on 2n 3055 what was a real option for it ? it works now ok on 24v but it is too low.someone replaced transformer previously and put that 24v one. btw if i put like 40v or 50v maybe its too much ? btw there was also a issue that there is no schematic or any info on internals so i have to guess everything xd

i found one of the pics from the seller of this amp this is a board for power supply
on the spot where one of two caps was supposed to go it says 63v i guess other one is the same but i will confirm it later.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 21
Tbh on 24v its working good it was originally 150w it had 4 transistors 2 per board it came to me with only one board second was missing, also other two transistors are dead xdd fried actually thats why i think that board was removed. So the board thats here now working, had some minor damages but its ok in general amp is producing clean sounds. But i think transformer was replaced with one thats not even close to the original xd

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Okay ... time for reality. If you have blown transistors, the remaining ones are stressed, period. They may fail at a later date without being pushed. That is factoid one.

What is the make and model please? You can run it at reduced voltages, but that will throw off the currents elsewhere in the amp and it will not perform well.

I bought a Yamaha PC-2002, and the moron pulled one blown output from each bank on one channel. That "fixed it". Well, I got it and not only does it fail spec for distortion (badly), but now having paid a decent price for it (much higher than it was worth given the condition). Now I have to rebuild it completely, including a matched set of new output transistors. I got ripped of because the earlier jerk ripped off the owner. Nice. My cost on outputs will be about $100, but higher since I have to buy more than I need to match them.

When people "fix" things, fixed means operating to spec. Not, just passing a signal. Otherwise the term "fixed" is a bald faced lie.